Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can cause a power steering groan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What can cause a power steering groan?

My buddy's 944 apparently "groans like a glacier" when he turns the wheel... He was low in the resevoir on power steering fluid, and it was dirty as hell, but when I've been low in the 924S, it's never groans...

FYI, the car is basically missing 1 power steering rack boot, it's there, just shredded...damn PO...

Also, this happened AFTER we removed the power steering pump to gain access to the oil cooler... I dunno what the train of thought was, but the power steering pump was hit with a hammer in the process of removal...I'm geussing it was a bad idea...
Old 06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goaning usually indicated air in the system..........the fluid was low anyways so.......
Old 06-28-2005, 03:16 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old age...budum dumb

I have had this happen on occassion on an na.
It generally occured at the end of the travel.
Low on power steering fluid was my real problem. It was blowing past the end seal into the boot.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:17 AM
jinx099
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My old RX-7 and my 944 both groan when they are low on fluid. When I hear it, I know it's time to top it off.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

low fluid, bubbles in system...caused by a leak!

- Julie
Old 06-28-2005, 04:37 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

had my older car groan.. filled ps fluid and the was a leak too.. so look for a leak and fill her up..
Old 06-28-2005, 09:14 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

My car also had the old-man groans until i opened up the reservoir and found it needed some more fluid due to a clamp on the return line being loose. BTW a good way to change the fluid is with a large syringe, empty out the reservoir and refill, drive it for a while and do it again until the fluid is clean. I am pretty sure this idea came from someone on here, sorry i forgot who it was...but thanks worked for me

Good Luck!
Erich
Old 06-28-2005, 09:20 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

You recently removed the pump, and the fluid is dirty (probably brownish in color?). Your opening post should have all of the clues you need to remedy the problem....................

There is air in the system due to the recent removal of the pump, and the fluid is dirty. Either one of those problems will cause a groaning noise.

Flush out the old brown gunk, refill with new, and bleed/burp the system by turning the steering wheel back and forth to full lock a few times.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

ah, I suppose I didn't specify... when we removed the pump, we pulled it off the bracket, but did not remove any of the hoses... the system remained closed. I'll advise that the system needs a bleed/refill.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Old age...budum dumb

Groans can indicate bad jokes too. . .
Old 06-28-2005, 11:44 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
My buddy's 944 apparently "groans like a glacier" when he turns the wheel... He was low in the resevoir on power steering fluid, and it was dirty as hell, but when I've been low in the 924S, it's never groans...

FYI, the car is basically missing 1 power steering rack boot, it's there, just shredded...damn PO...

Also, this happened AFTER we removed the power steering pump to gain access to the oil cooler... I dunno what the train of thought was, but the power steering pump was hit with a hammer in the process of removal...I'm geussing it was a bad idea...
hey homes,
Ive posted this here a ZILLION times use (SEARCH)

oh.... ok, mate seeing as its you

CHANGE Da Oil

completely drain and refill,
but seriously if you do a search I've said why it does this at length and also the best way to change and bleed the system.

if you cant find it HOLLa and I'll re-post it

BUT change the oil

laters homie

Ade
HTH
Old 06-28-2005, 11:47 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924

ooops then I read the question.

make sure the oil level is correct (using the dipstick)

if its low, your loosing, you should NEVER loose oil, get it over some paper and check, replace the boot, you will get a knackered PS rack, but anyway

same reply afterwards, change OIL
Old 06-28-2005, 11:54 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

a related question......what if the rack makes a "bong" or "bing" sound when you turn the wheel? mine has been leaking fluid for a while (everything i try to fix doesn't help) and i finally gave up. now it's starting to make a weird "bong" sound and i think it means it's going bad.

if i bought a power rack from a car 85.5 or later, could i swap tie rods and still use it?

Quick Reply: What can cause a power steering groan?