Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question of worth

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question of worth

I have an '83 NA motor that I bought a while back and have been overhauling for my car. Rrecently a friend expressed interest in buying it so I'm trying to figure out what it's worth.

Spec's
-'83NA long block 130K miles
-Factory cross drilled crank
-New rod bearings
-Late oil pan and baffling
-Balance shafts resealed
-Rebuilt water pump
-New timing belt
-New balance shaft belt
-All new rollers
-Front end resealed (Crank, Cam, Balance shafts)
-New Sachs clutch set
-New head gasket
-New cam tower gasket
-New intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
-New exhaust manifold studs and nuts
-New vaccum lines
-Resealed oil cooler
-New oil pump drive sleeve
-New thermo valve
-Reseated the valves
-New valve stem seals
-Lightened stock flywheel ~12lbs

On the inside the cylinder walls are flawless, and the motor ran 175-180PSI compression numbers when warm before it was pulled. Motor came out of an automatic car and judging by the condition of the bearings it wasn't ragged on much if at all. Basically this motor was completely rebuilt short of the mains and the rings. Please let me know your honest opinions as to what this motor is worth if I were to sell it. TIA
Old 06-27-2005, 11:43 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$350-$450
$700 from someone who really really really likes you.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:09 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Wow that little? I was thinking quite a bit more since I have over $1300 in parts alone and everything has 0 miles on it.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:14 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad I know.
I too would have hoped you could get that...but the sad fact is a good dvd combo or a PS2 is worth more...sad commentary...but let's not even get into the 928
Old 06-28-2005, 03:34 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I think it's time for me to buy a couple backup engines
Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe to a 944 spec racer it would be worth more, but I'd expect about 1000 from the right buyer. That is, if you can document all the new parts.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:30 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I concur with Serge, the documentation is the ONLY thing that would raise the price.

Sorry, these cars aren't worth ****, too many made. when it comes to parts.

- Julie
Old 06-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Helstrm
Pro

You would be able to get a little more if you had done the mains and rings. Then it would be a full rebuild.

If you want to sell it and make anything ebay is your best bet. You may want to shop around for your next rebuild kit. I payed $1100 For everything top to bottom including new rings to rebuild mine.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 1100 for a full rebuilt engine is fair.. I agree with Wolfe- time to buy a running spare "just in case"..
Old 06-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AznDrgn

On the inside the cylinder walls are flawless, and the motor ran 175-180PSI compression numbers when warm before it was pulled.
I've heard this kind of thing many times. If you can "PROVE" it, it will help on the price......somewhat. If one is to just take ones word for it, or of their "impression" of what the cylinders "look" like...........it won't cut it. Who's to say the compression gage you were using was accurate as far as the values read, and how about the procedure that was used to get those values? I agree, you'd better have documentation from parts houses, machine shops ( mic'd values on paper, from that shop), and be prepared to explain to someone HOW, and what you did to come up to the value(s) your asking/wanting. Otherwise, its like anything else. You'll get only what someone else "thinks" it might be worth at the time, and that won't be crap without "PROOF". There is a HUGE difference to people like me, between a documented "rebuilt" engine, and a undocumented or partially documented "overhaul". Rings and main bearing replacement are ALWAYS part of a rebuild process.......no exceptions. "re-seated valves", to me means you might have just lapped them in yourself. Not impressed by that statement either, no effect on the price. Price? 50-75% of what you can prove.....maybe. Goodluck!
Old 06-29-2005, 03:25 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
I think 1100 for a full rebuilt engine is fair.. I agree with Wolfe- time to buy a running spare "just in case"..
Back when I owned my first 924, I had a head problem...it turned out one of the "U" bearing-brackets doodads that hold the camshaft in had cracked in half. Called around looking for one, and they were nowhere to be found - not from the dealer, not even straight from Porsche.
I was told I'd have to buy a whole new head to get one. $1500.

At prices like that, if certain parts only come with an entire head, it'd be a wise decision to buy a running spare. Thus, as soon as I get the car paid off, I'll be looking for a fresh engine to pack away for a rainy day. Just in case.

These days, I still have a head problem. But it doesn't have anything to do with cars
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Helstrm
Pro

The funny thing is that the parts, Gaskets seals, Rings, bearings, waterpump belts rollers. ect come to $1100 So how is $1100 a fair price? Not saying that it would sell for more but If it is $1100 in parts. + block, pistons, head ect and labor is all free? If you want to sell the engine throw it on ebay. Someone out there will need to replace a blown or knocking engine and once they price out parts they will bid.

I was offered $1800 for my fresh rebuild from an ebayer. Problem is that you can pickup used engines for these dirt cheap. Of course then you are in for another rebuild but that is another story.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

As far as proof goes I can prove pretty much everything since I did it and I have receipts for it. The only thing I can't prove 100% is the accuracy of the compression guage, I have a video clip of the compression test being performed.

Quick Reply: Question of worth