Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are airbags worth it in a 944?
Yes
37.50%
No
62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

What do you think about airbags? Should I look for an airbag car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 08:41 PM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think about airbags? Should I look for an airbag car?

I'm trying to decide whether or not airbags are a necessity to me. I believe that they are effective, but I'm also aware of some of the other issues. I'm also aware that these airbags are some of the first ever put into production cars.

Has anybody had a personal experience with the 944 airbags?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really know if its good or bad. Mine didn'y deploy with my head on collison with a tree ay 40mph+. Then again I don't know when they're supposed to. At any rate, i like the looks of the steering wheel much better than that of the non airbag cars.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:53 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an airbag equipped car. I deactivated mine. Non airbag cars can get nice newer 968CS steering wheels! And you don't have explosives a foot away from your face, IMHO.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I disconnected mine.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:13 PM
faithless
Pro

Originally Posted by WesM951
I don't really know if its good or bad. Mine didn'y deploy with my head on collison with a tree ay 40mph+. Then again I don't know when they're supposed to. At any rate, i like the looks of the steering wheel much better than that of the non airbag cars.
I like it a lot better too.

They were originally designed to deploy when hitting a barrier at 30+ mph... Made in Chin- err..

Previous to 1995, airbags were non SRS (SUPPLEMENTAL restraint system). This was because they were originally intended to protect non seat belt wearing peoples. But in situations where people slid foward on heavy braking, or buttheads sitting too close, they changed the technical purpose of the airbag.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:55 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I disconnected mine and cut the warning lights. Then I installed an aftermarket wheel. Mmmmm.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:56 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm afraid of explosives that close to my head... I'm even more afraid of 20 year old explosives that close to my head...
Old 06-27-2005, 04:42 AM
faithless
Pro

A lot of people seem paranoid about em. Ive read about it, and statistics in 1998 were that they reduce fatalities in serious head-on collisions by 30%. Any injuries suffered by airbag deployments are usually burns to the arms from your arms being on the wheel when it explodes and lighter face burns from the heat and the bag. I'm no expert, but Id be willing to bet older airbag chemicals are actually a lot less reactive (less explosive) than they were when new.

Its true that older bags ARE more violent, they were like this before SRS came along. Before SRS, airbags were intended as an alternative to wearing a seatbelt, so consequently they were required to come out faster to beat the accelerating driver. It turned out in some cases though, that those not in a seat belt may slide foward under heavy braking before a collison, placing themselves too close to the airbag, or that people were sitting too close to the airbag to begin with(leaning on the wheel, old grannies). This problem is why the technical purpose of an airbag was changed to SUPPLEMENTARY restraint system. When used in conjunction with a seatbelt, the airbag has been proven safe, and the injuries caused are far more rare than the lives saved. Most injuries are simple rashes or burns that dissapear in months or weeks. Personally id rather be a man about a stupid burn, than risk having lost my life after plowing into the steering wheel at full speed.

In racing, harnesses are used compared to airbags in passenger vehicles. This is not becuase airbags are dangerous or uneffective. Simply because the racing harness is fully capable of preventing the driver from moving into the wheel in a crash. In a very violent crash, the driver of a passenger vehicle (wearing only a 3 point belt) is VERY capable of hitting the wheel. That is why the airbag was put in place to prevent it from happening. If the driver wasnt wearing his seatbelt but was also spaced the proper distance from the wheel and was actually driving with BOTH hands (nobody does this anymore), there shouldnt be any problem with the drivers safety from the airbags deployment. In fact, after the full deceleration and g-forces kick in, it would be impossible for the driver to restrain himself, and would very likely collide with the steering wheel (in the ribcage) and suffer VERY serious injuries had the airbag not been there to cushion and decelerate the body over a larger bodily area. However it would be foolhardy to gamble on your self awareness and strength in the moments before an accident, hence why seatbelts are recommended.

Basically, if youre afraid of an airbag, you shouldnt be, just do two things:

-dont sit in a seat equipped with an airbag, SRS or not, if you weigh considerably under 150 lbs. (average male adult)
-wear your seat belt (duh) and dont hug the wheel, stay at LEAST 10" away.

follow those guidelines, and there is NO reason to be skeptical about airbags, vintage 80's or modern day.

Quick Reply: What do you think about airbags? Should I look for an airbag car?