Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KLA Industries Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:56 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Time to close this thread up, and I think I'm just the one to do it. I am a racer and I do have one on my racecar. I also have 400# springs and spherical bearings up front. With the KLA brace, there's very little compliance. When I raise/lower my car, the strut tower tops do move closer/further apart. Clearly the KLA brace is keeping these from moving around. As a side note, it doesn't clear the intake on my 924, but it wasn't expected to. I'll get around to fixing that eventually. But this is a very important part of my front-end setup, since there is so little compliance and I need everything to stay put.

As an aside, note that I took one checker and 2 2nd places in my 3 races this weekend.

However, if you still have stock rubber suspension bushings (most notably the upper strut mounts), you are wasting your time and money on it - the whole point of the strut brace is to keep the suspension geometry from moving, but the stock rubber must be replaced with at least plastic bushings (delrin, polygraphite, whatever) if not spherical to experience any gains.

Somebody was mentioning pretty strut braces. What does that have to do with anything? Certainly nothing to do with speed. What are _you_ compensating for? Wanna see what's fast? Go hang out in the paddock at your local road course. You'll quickly see that the fast race cars are all go, no show. They don't look ugly, and they aren't a mess, but they aren't show cars.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't think that the KLA brace is going to make a diffrence. The brace itself flexes far to much IMHO to make a diffrence in the handling of the car.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

im gonna buy a racing dymanics strut brace and put it on my car not to improve handling or make it look better, but just because you guys are arguing about it
Old 06-27-2005, 03:31 PM
MR951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
I really don't think that the KLA brace is going to make a diffrence. The brace itself flexes far to much IMHO to make a diffrence in the handling of the car.
If you grab it in the middle and push/pull it around then yes it flexes. If you apply load to it at the end and push it toward the other side then it doesn't flex. It is stiff in the direction it needs to be.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MR951
If you grab it in the middle and push/pull it around then yes it flexes. If you apply load to it at the end and push it toward the other side then it doesn't flex. It is stiff in the direction it needs to be.

Just like a crappy endlink on a swaybar its going to deflect...
Old 06-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

What does that have to do with anything? The endlinks deflect because rubber isn't rigid.

Making a strut brace rigid in every dimension is not only overengineering - it's added weight.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Somebody was mentioning pretty strut braces. What does that have to do with anything? Certainly nothing to do with speed. What are _you_ compensating for? Wanna see what's fast? Go hang out in the paddock at your local road course. You'll quickly see that the fast race cars are all go, no show. They don't look ugly, and they aren't a mess, but they aren't show cars.
Wow - someone kick your dog today? Why do we do any mods on a car cosmetically or performance (granted mine is stock - but for those that do)? Why - because WE like it, not somebody else. Yes we are discussing the usefullness of the brace but so what if someone wants to put one on for show. To each his own... no sense in getting personal there. Why did you paint your car... you compensating for something? Doesn't add horsepower does it? No it doesn't but you liked it and so you did and I say good for you.

Kinda the same if you ask me

Later,
Cory
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Spider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what MR951 said- Think of a steel cable: flexible, but under longitudinal tension ,capable of sustaining massive force.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:10 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
What does that have to do with anything? The endlinks deflect because rubber isn't rigid.

Making a strut brace rigid in every dimension is not only overengineering - it's added weight.

I was talking more about endlinks like you would find on E36M3's and other cars on the road not really the endlinks you find on 944's.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

To set the record straight... I didn't paint the car until I did this to it.

I got rather irritated seeing some taking issue with the appearance of a perfectly functional, inexpensive, and quite respectable-looking part that a vendor who supports rennlist has taken the effort to make available to poor cheap ba$tards like us specifically for our cars.

Quick Reply: KLA Industries Strut Brace