Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle that goes away when clutch is depressed, what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007 | 01:50 PM
Da Bears
Instructor

Well, that sucks. I guess it's not bothering me too much at this point, as long as it doesn't get worse.
Old 01-29-2007 | 03:38 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

I have the exact same problem and was ready to pull the Torque tube until i started digging at pelican and here. Theres a lot of variables, even with a stethoscope i had a hard time nailing it down. that being said, i wasnt just going to go start digging in.

My car, like many others here, makes the shakey rattle noise, if it were the throw out bearing i think the noise would go away with partial depression of the clutch. but our noises dont go away unless we push the clutch all the way down to the floor, then it stops. its annoying, i find myself holding the clutch down while stopped at lights it drives me nuts.

My squeeky rattle noise does not exist until the car is completely warmed up. and i dont mean engine warmed up, i have to DRIVE it for about 5-10 minutes and it has to be in N with the clutch UP.

More than one person has mentioned it could be the 5th gear. how difficult of a fix is that? will changing the tranny fluid help this sort of issue?

the 5th gear is all the way back on the tranny, isnt there easy access to it?

Great thread.
Old 01-29-2007 | 04:00 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

^^^LOL exactly and I mean exactly what I have. At least it didn't cost you $4000!!! I changed to a Turbo S tranny, new rebuilt tourqe tube, new clutch and hardware, and after spending all that money I finally went to another mechanic who said it was normal. LOL at least I have refreshed running gear I guess. Expensive trial and error for something that does not affect the car at all. Just being ****. So now I just keep my clutch pushed in at stop lights so it doesn't annoy me.
Old 01-29-2007 | 04:10 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

after replacing the tranny the noise should have gone away no???
unless your new tranny has the same ailments as your old one? (the rattle)

is there a fix for this if its the 5th gear rattling around? changing the fluids?
Old 01-29-2007 | 04:11 PM
Lumbergs Lackey....MmmmKay
Burning Brakes

^^^Thats just it my man, I changed the tranny and my mechanic said ALL 944 trannys do this.
Old 09-26-2008 | 12:29 PM
ForADay
2nd Gear

Exclamation Newb has similar clank from drivetrain

Hello everyone, my virgin post here and thought I'd revive an old thread at the same time just to prove I did search first before asking a repeat question!

My problem though seems to be a little different than those here. Mine isn't clanking on shift, it's after the shift is complete.

Subject car: 1985.5 944NA, 226,000 miles on the odometer Overall great shape.

I have had the car 2 years, driven only about 6,000miles in that time and recently completed a tune-up replacing air and fuel filters, plugs, cap & rotor, etc etc.

2 days ago I started noticing a clanking sound coming from what sounded to be the right rear wheel well area. Sounds almost exactly like a metal spoon swirling around inside and empty tin can! Sound is VERY evident taking off from a complete stop, gradually disipates as I accelerate until I hit 2nd gear, then it's back...a little less, disipates again gradually until 3rd gear and then the sound is fainter, but still there, and slowly dispiates again. Hard to hear in 4th or 5th so far.

I never hear the clanking going over tracks, potholes or rough terrain, or even while steering. Just on acceleration and immediately after staring in a gear. Sound went away for a day after putting up on jacsk and looking, now it's back with a vengenece and you can even hear the clanking now on deceleration although it's still more prominent on acceleration. Clanking starts only after after clutch is released and car continues in the next gear - and is now faint on deceleration.

Noting appears loose under the car - not much there to be loose actually! Now leads me to believe it's internal. never a good thing. Is this possibly one of the previosuly mentioned bearings, or possibly the CV axle?

Many thanks!

Jim N.
Romulus, MI (near Detorit and Ann Arbor)
Old 09-26-2008 | 12:45 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

although your troubles are a bit different that those in this thread, it sounds like you may have an issue with your CV joints.

not that big of a deal to rebuild them or just swap them out.
Old 09-26-2008 | 01:54 PM
vro944om
Racer

well as long as we're talking about noises, My whole F-ing car shakes when i accelerate, talk about annoying :P
Old 10-07-2008 | 10:23 AM
JimBob951
Racer

I too have this sound! Just started yesterday after going over a bump! Right rear area, thought my muffler/exhaust was loose. It happens on accel/decel, fades up in higher gears. Doesn't happen over bumps. Goes away when clutch is depressed AND in neutral. Strange. Don't know what it is exactly?
Old 10-13-2008 | 12:04 PM
Daz85Lux
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JimBob951
I too have this sound! Just started yesterday after going over a bump! Right rear area, thought my muffler/exhaust was loose. It happens on accel/decel, fades up in higher gears. Doesn't happen over bumps. Goes away when clutch is depressed AND in neutral. Strange. Don't know what it is exactly?
Me too.
Mine was down to a handbrake shoe retaining spring that had popped off and was loose inside the rear disc. It was catching against the bottom of the shoes/disc.
Sounded like quite a heavy clonk so was surprised it was only a spring.
Also had a broken pad retaining spring rattle which added to the noise.

Always check the simple stuff first!

Last edited by Daz85Lux; 10-13-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-13-2008 | 04:30 PM
CPR
Race Director

I have just lately picked up a "noise" (sounded like the exhaust was loose) in the 2200-2800 rpm band on my 951...

I know that is pretty vague, but any ideas? Symptons sound similiar to a few above. Mechanic can't see it for a few weeks...just curious.

Quick Reply: Rattle that goes away when clutch is depressed, what could it be?