Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit an owl with SUV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffman912
i would call the local game warden or local legal authority on wildlife 1st.....
Not unless you have some spare $$$ to hand over. Down here in south Florida running over a key deer costs about $2500 in fines even if you didn't mean to. If that is a protected species then calling fish and game is just asking for it. You already hit it, nothing you can do now. No way paying a huge fine is going to help on the off chance it was something special.

Just a few words of advice before you pick up your phone.

That is some crazy stuff though. I once had a duck fly in front of me. What a big scary mess of feathers, and cracked windshield. At least I was driving my Truck and not the 44.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, my friend hit a quail in his VW pickup. The thing was walking across the road and decided to fly up right as we got near. All you could see was feather in the rear view mirror.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:09 AM
88black944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would pretend like this post never happened, maybe get some internet ninja to delete it for you... that way the feds would be off you
Old 06-20-2005, 02:29 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Odd how it wedged itself in there like that. Looks like a million to one shot to me.

I hope you don't get any @hit about this, I mean, heck, what do you do when a psychotic owl goes after your car?
Old 06-20-2005, 02:38 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG...I"m glad there were pics... I'm sorry, but the way that thing is wedged in there, the coincidence was HYSTERICAL!!! Maybe i"m just sick, or maybe it' s people from Colorado, as I saw M. Danger laughing too...

Yeah, I wouldn't call the authorities...it's not like it's intentional, the f*cker flew into you, a freak accident. you can't control the owls, and should not get a fine for not being able to.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:42 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Not unless you have some spare $$$ to hand over. Down here in south Florida running over a key deer costs about $2500 in fines even if you didn't mean to. If that is a protected species then calling fish and game is just asking for it. You already hit it, nothing you can do now. No way paying a huge fine is going to help on the off chance it was something special.

Just a few words of advice before you pick up your phone.

That is some crazy stuff though. I once had a duck fly in front of me. What a big scary mess of feathers, and cracked windshield. At least I was driving my Truck and not the 44.
Hear! Hear! That's the most rediculous regulation that I've heard of. Like you'd be aiming to hit the deer with your car or something.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Anyone ever see those pics of the sparrow that decided to try to fly through the Dodge Viper race car's windshiled at over 150 MPH? The last thing to go through his mind (as it went THROUGH the windshield and into the rollbar) was his ***... Driver got a nice spatter of blood on him, and half the bird was sticking out between the top of the windshield and the body, and the other half crammed between the roof and the roll bar...

Friggin hillarious... Never laughed so hard in my life than at those pics...
Old 06-20-2005, 02:52 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Yeah, I wouldn't call the authorities...it's not like it's intentional, the f*cker flew into you, a freak accident. you can't control the owls, and should not get a fine for not being able to.

Hahaha, they dont CARE... If its dead and YOU had something to do with it in ANY way.. you get the fine. Common since is not figured into fish and game regulations. There is no gray area. This is something I have seen first hand.

Now this is only in Florida where I have witnessed this. I figure the CA bunny huggers will be 10x as bad though.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
Hahaha, they dont CARE... If its dead and YOU had something to do with it in ANY way.. you get the fine. Common since is not figured into fish and game regulations. There is no gray area. This is something I have seen first hand.

Now this is only in Florida where I have witnessed this. I figure the CA bunny huggers will be 10x as bad though.

I know...that's what I said... he can't control the owl's flight path, therefore shouldn't be fined, so don't contact the authorites...

OOooo...onto bunnies now...this is friggin great...I was walking outside with a friend at his house to go smoke a cigarette, and we noticed a bunny sitting on his driveway...my 924S at the bottom parked on the street... So my buddy raises his arms, and runs after it yelling "BUNNY BUNNY BUNNY" and the thing takes off for shelter under the 924S... I geuss it didn't notice how low the 924S was, and we hear a "THUD" sound... bunny is confused, then ducks under the car for safety, OMG, I hadn't laughed so hard at a little rabbit in a long time... it was HILLARIOUS.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:05 AM
88black944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

crazy rabbits...

I hadn't laughed so hard at a little rabbit in a long time...

when was the last time???
Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a 13 stripe ground squirrel occasionally "camping" under my car in the parking lot here.. do I detect a trend?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:21 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

we did a test run of the tour for the speedfest event in dayton. On the first run this turkey came out of nowhere and flew next to the car...scary! Then on the actual tour, same area, we saw two large turkeys, one flew right out in front of the teener, started "flying" and just narrowly missed the windshield and ps door!! Scared my gf to death, i thought it was pretty funny, though at 55mph it woulda been a mess.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:33 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
55mph
Wow, you musta been in the slow group.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:17 AM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to have those feathers.....being American Indian, seeing or killing an owl is bad juju.....you should burn some sage .....you must have a BIA card to (Bureau of Indian Affairs) to posses endangered or protected species feathers.....contacting the DPA or any of the Government offices concerning this bird may cause you problems (depending on the person you speak to).....if they would have any sense they would just say to dispose of the remains ...If they have no sense, they might fine you.....at least the bird didn't hit your Porsche....and you weren't injured....live extra carefully for a while.....burn some sage......
Old 06-20-2005, 10:28 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Well, that's very spiritual, and I think sound advice.

Burry the owl, burn some sage, think good thoughts for a few weeks. Can't hurt your karma.

Quick Reply: Hit an owl with SUV.