Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body shop - are my expectations too high?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body shop - are my expectations too high?

I got the car back from the body shop today. Paint looks nice, but there are a lot of things wrong that were fine before I took the car in. In the order the pictures should be in:
-The antenna... I'm not sure what they did there (I don't remember all those bits being on the outside).
-Then the carpet, it has a huge rip in it now.
-And the clip holding the window switches in isn't there. One is, the other is MIA
-The front gasket for the door handle is just plain gone, the second is half in, half pointing outward. (edit: found the missing gasket under the seat)
-The pinstriping has a 6 in damaged section
-The window molding is well, gone.
(sorry the pictures are small, had to cut file size)

What you can't see:
-The drivers door rattles like an old beater when the door is closed and is missing the bottom 3 screws holding it on, and the rounded piece for the rear viewer mirror joystick is gone (anybody have one?).

When I picked up the car the guy there agreed with me on the screws and clip being gone, but the striping "must've come in like that." I didn't see the missing molding and button until I got home but am calling in 1st thing in the morning. The carpet, striping and rattle, I'll take care of that somehow. It doesn't look hard / expensive and I trust my work more than theirs.

Are my expectations that I'll get the rest of the car back in the same shape it was when it went in too high? I never thought to take pictures of the whole car and removing unnecessary parts on the car (like the door panel) before taking it in. For what it's worth, the front / drivers side fender was repaired along with a small dent on the nose. The paint was blended into the hood and door - that's why the door panel came off. I'm not sure why they needed to remove the carpet by the hood release.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 06-14-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I'd throw a cow!
Old 06-14-2005, 09:13 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

I don't get it - I asked around at work and this place was supposed to be the best around. This evening I'd planned on taking the door skin off (maybe the missing clip went down there and I'd be able to get the old beater rattle it makes when I close the door to stop. But given everything I'd found would that be a bad idea?
Old 06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

I wouldn't do anything until going back.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Are these cars supposed to have a stick on hood badge? Because I've got one now and it's not exactly very sticky. Falling off is more like it. Holes aren't there anymore either.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Body shop - are my expectations too high? "

NAW.......I don't THINK SO. It kinda looks like someone there was trying to dismantle some of the parts, so they could do "their thing". I, like others, I'm sure, have seen this sort of thing when people TRY to dismantle things, when they REALLY don't have a clue what their doing, or getting into. I'm guessing a fairly new/young "prep" helper/apprentice in the bodyshop. Good luck with it. Stick to your guns, and PUSH them over it. They "should" make it "right'.

You ask them to reshoot the door jams also? Love to hear just what they were "told/suppose" to do.
I'd expect something like that from a Maaco type body shop, if I didn't prep it completely for them.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

This is what I was talking about with the badge. It's not actually held on with gum, but it sure looks like it. I'm going to ask them to take that part off the bill and replace the missing holes, then buy a new one online myself. At least it'll be done right.

The door jam was done well at least. The only one around any paint shooting was the front / drivers one. At this point I'm going back over tomorrow morning, not calling over. I'm sure a coworker will be able to help me get back to work (I'm single, live alone, and work starts around 6:30AM).
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Having been there many times, the only thing I can say in their possible defense is that the trim items on these cars are 20-ish years old, and things like handle/mirror gaskets, switch finish plates, etc. are getting brittle, cracked, or otherwise falling apart. When you have to take things apart is when they FALL apart. Sometimes it can't be helped, but it does not help at all if you are not careful!

However, it is also a good idea to simply tell the owner that these items are deteriorating instead of just trying to float it. I can only imagine that the guy on the shop floor just didn't care enough to tell anyone. If the owner didn't care, he's in the wrong business.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:56 PM
troll
Advanced

I'm sorry, but expectations are NEVER too high for a body shop. Even from Maaco, the car should be in the condition it was brought in. THe only down side would be the bad paint :P. I'm with Granite, stick to ur guns!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Having been there many times, the only thing I can say in their possible defense is that the trim items on these cars are 20-ish years old, and things like handle/mirror gaskets, switch finish plates, etc. are getting brittle, cracked, or otherwise falling apart. When you have to take things apart is when they FALL apart. Sometimes it can't be helped, but it does not help at all if you are not careful!

However, it is also a good idea to simply tell the owner that these items are deteriorating instead of just trying to float it. I can only imagine that the guy on the shop floor just didn't care enough to tell anyone. If the owner didn't care, he's in the wrong business.
I could'nt agree more. All the more reason why I asked, " Love to hear just what they were "told/suppose" to do.".......prior to the start of work that was done.

All one can ask for, or expect, is a fair job, for fair pay. Be polite, and "reasonable" with them, and I'm sure (hopefully), they will be the same with you. Don't ask for "the MOON", just ask for "whats fair and/or, how can WE work this out to OUR mutual satisfaction". Just my kinda thinking.

Good luck!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:07 PM
X 944 X
Instructor

how will you fix the carpet thing? my car is doing the same thing... is there some spray trim adhesive or something someone could recommend?
Old 06-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Just got done checking out the badge (what I can see anyway). For reasons unknown they ruined a perfectly good replacement by grinding away the pins and using a ball of adhesive to try and stick'r on.

I understand perfectly the door handle gasket going out, but giving me a call to let me know things are brittle beyond reuse would really help. Especially since both can be had for under $5 from Pelican. But missing pieces and fouling up new ones in an attempt to keep things moving doesn't help anyone.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by X 944 X
how will you fix the carpet thing? my car is doing the same thing... is there some spray trim adhesive or something someone could recommend?
Mine isn't unstuck, it's actually ripped. I know an upholstry shop in downtown San Antonio that carries everything you can think of. It's a small piece of carpet so I'll take it off the car and buy a new piece to match. The black edge trim shouldn't be too much trouble... famous last words I know.

edit: I'm not going in asking for too much. Just take the new badge they ruined off the bill and give me the two holes in the nose back, they keep the part. Give me the missing parts - the trim screws / washers, the other piece holding my mirror switch on, rear view button, and the window edging that's not there. If they're gone I'll take a replacement or enough to buy another since that's the only thing that's fair. I'll drop the carpet, striping, and handle gasket but would like them to take something off the bill. The total was $1,450 and I'd be happy with 50 or 100.

edit: found the window edging in the trunk (nothing else there). Surely they won't mind installing it.

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 06-14-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually...

It is not the carpet. Since the carpet is too thick to go under the weaterstrip and fold over the pinchweld, they attach a thin piece of material to the carpet edge to do the job. It is folded over the pinchweld under the molding and glued in place just like the headliner is on the roof.

It is VEEEEERY easy to tear this if you are not carefull. It is also very easy to tear it if you scuff it with your shoe every time you get in an out the car.

The nose badge is just an utter hack job!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:31 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Hey;

Having been there many times, the only thing I can say in their possible defense is that the trim items on these cars are 20-ish years old, and things like handle/mirror gaskets, switch finish plates, etc. are getting brittle, cracked, or otherwise falling apart. When you have to take things apart is when they FALL apart.
I have to disagree on this, to a point. In my line of work, I take apart and repair 20, 30, even 50 year old guitar pickups several times a week. We're talking abused, misused, corroded, rusty metal, dried and cracked plastic..you name it, I've seen it. It is certainly possible to take something so old and decrepid apart without destroying it. And if an accident happens, I replace it.
20 years is nothing. 50 years is a challenge.

Bodyshop should repair, IMO.

Quick Reply: Body shop - are my expectations too high?