Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body shop - are my expectations too high?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is they do **** work so how can you trust them to fix it right? Hold their hand? I would be torn between demanding satisfaction on one hand and just writing it off to experience on the other. The best thing might be to demand some money back and then fix it yourself or at another shop.

I am "self-employed" (2nd gen small family business) and I'm telling you: either that shop is a bunch of total screw-ups, or someone on that crew is. If the owner doesn't jump all over this for you and rush to fix it all right away no charge, then it;s the whole shop, don't hope for a good ending, just cut your losses.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Heres what you say:

You: Can I speak to Ralph, the owner of XYZ Paint Shop.
Them: Just a second.
Ralph: Hello?
You: Hi Ralph its NAME with the 944 that was just painted. Say, I came to you guys because you do such great work and it looks like we've had a run of bad luck. Im missing a few pieces on the car and theres some damage marks that were accidentally accrued while the car was in the shop getting painted.
Ralph: Well, it musta.....
You: Ralph, you guys have a great reputation and I know nobody is as much of a perfectionist as you, so I'll swing by the shop on Friday and let you guys eliminate the problem areas. That way you know the car left your shop to your standards and I drove away satisfied. Thanks Ralph. Dont sweat it. I realize these things happen and Im not the least bit angry because I know youll take care of it.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:03 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
I have to disagree on this, to a point. In my line of work, I take apart and repair 20, 30, even 50 year old guitar pickups several times a week. We're talking abused, misused, corroded, rusty metal, dried and cracked plastic..you name it, I've seen it. It is certainly possible to take something so old and decrepid apart without destroying it. And if an accident happens, I replace it.
20 years is nothing. 50 years is a challenge.

Bodyshop should repair, IMO.
Yeh... OK. Apples & Oranges. Some of the stuff you fix is probably worth three times what a given 944 is. You're not Joe Blow's Guitars and Delicatessan. You're a craftsman. 944s aren't rare artifacts to average body shops, they're just 20 year old cars. Who cares?

Now if you take it to a shop that specializes in Porsches, they might think different. Like you do about geeetarz. Won't be cheap, though. Body work isn't cheap to start with. Restoration is not body work. I doubt he paid for restoration like your guitar customers.

Trust me, I'm more like you than you know!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsboost90
as someone who has owned three and painted four of these cars, someone didnt know-or care- what they were doing. Hope you didnt pay too much. What all did they paint the whole car?
The whole car wasn't painted - it went in for repair to the front / drivers side fender, front bumper, and dented nose panel (two people hit the car, total was just over $1450). Right now it's back at the shop. The clip for the window switch is gone so they're trying to scare up a new one or get a new switch from the dealer... that'd be some tough luck if they don't come with the metal clips. The hood badge they're doing right - I brought the part numbers for the badge, gasket, gromets, and nuts when I took the car back. The parts left uninstalled are being put back on.

The guy wasn't going to lower the price any so when I get the call to go back to pick up the car I'll ask to see the manager. Taking something off the bill seems reasonable to me since I'm going to have to fix the striping, damaged carpet, and find another rear view mirror joystick button from someone parting out a car. And I'm bringing a flashlight and inspection mirror so I can see behind the badge - if there's no nuts back there or somebody drilled in the wrong place it's time to get mad.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve,

I hope you showed them all of the mounting nuts for the nose panel. If not, they can easliy bend the heck out of it if they miss any and try to remove it.

Quick Reply: Body shop - are my expectations too high?