Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body shop - are my expectations too high?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Actually...

It is not the carpet. Since the carpet is too thick to go under the weaterstrip and fold over the pinchweld, they attach a thin piece of material to the carpet edge to do the job. It is folded over the pinchweld under the molding and glued in place just like the headliner is on the roof.

It is VEEEEERY easy to tear this if you are not carefull. It is also very easy to tear it if you scuff it with your shoe every time you get in an out the car.

The nose badge is just an utter hack job!
You're right, it turns out the thin stuff is what's ripped in my car. I'll go cut a piece and take it to the upholstry place and replace it. Mine is not glued, it was all swen together. A seam is visible on the rear side of the carpet next to the remaining shreds of fabric.

At least the aluminum rail turned up in the trunk, there's one less thing to worry about.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:08 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Stand your ground. It sounds like you are dealing with idiots who are trying to screw you. It sounds like small claimes court time to me. Those guys did ****ty work and left some pieces in the trunk, dayum!!! I really feel for you buddy.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:23 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

And my car is in the body shop right now for similar work. Great.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:45 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Well don't despair Deitz. It's like any thing else. Stuff Happens. Sounds like some noobs or just plain dumbasses were let loose on that car. It's really a shame. I'm in the process of getting ASE and I-Car certified (school) to do paint & body. It really pisses me when I hear stories like this .
Old 06-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

As long as it's not in San Antonio you'll be allright. I have my hopes up in that it's all trim type stuff, should be somewhat easy to fix. And I'd talked earlier about possibly bringing my Celica in sometime later this summer to have the rear bumper repainted, maybe they'll be more willing to deal a little. Though I'd be pretty dumb to take the car there.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:54 PM
GOSANE
Banned

Steve, Please don't take your Celica to those same guys.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:55 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mate
I feel for you!
I used a local panel beaters shop here in cairns and they were fantastic (and cheap! ). Bit far to ship your car tho! LOL
A good shop will fix the probs with no quibbles - or else!
Do they have a consumer affairs office in your state? In case things go pear shaped.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:58 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd throw an absolute ****-fit. More proof that if you want something done right, you gotta' do it yourself. Shops don't give a flying fig about your car - it's just "get-it-in-and-get-it-out" or the old "turn-'n'-burn". I'd call the manager and politely explain that you've uncovered not one but several defects in workmanship and you expect the shop to have integrity and fix the stuff to your satisfaction - after all, you're paying this out of pocket, not some "insurance-cut-check" deal that the owner doesn't really give a crap about beyond having their car back. Try being nice first - if that doesn't work, I'd go up the chain of command. If that didn't work, I'd start being an *** - up to and including going after them in court.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:06 AM
GOSANE
Banned

Well said Jeff! That's just how I feel.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by beeg
Do they have a consumer affairs office in your state? In case things go pear shaped.
Better Business Bureau, they're supposed to be pretty good with things.

I'm going in friendly at first. The guy I'd been working with confirmed some of what I saw when I picked the car up; the hood badge and window rail installation are the new problems, and since one of the parts was found in the trunk and the other about ready to fall off I'm not expecting much of a fight here. What Jeff said is pretty much my gameplan.

Lesson learned: take lots of pictures beforehand and take off/leave at home any parts they'll need to remove to do the job!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:38 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

as someone who has owned three and painted four of these cars, someone didnt know-or care- what they were doing. Hope you didnt pay too much. What all did they paint the whole car?
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

that hood badge thing would **** me off big time. they probably are using a badge adhesive, because some cars DO have one that sticks on (my parents have an oldsmobile ninety-eight its badge is glues on) but you would think those to posts on the back and holes in the nose would give them a clue. thats rediculous. make sure you find the highest price dealer for a quote on that hood badge, a real gold one if possible
Old 06-15-2005, 12:54 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTDT, If you do a search on me and body work.. you'll know i was in your exact same position.

I expected the car to come back as I had given it to them, well except with a freshly painted front end. To my dis-may I got a car back with missing parts and a massivly scratched door. Not to mention the un-finished body work, my car has bad orange peel(?) , it looks very wavey. A friend who used to work at a body shop said that they didn't wet-sand and buff it after they painted it. All this from "The Best Body shop around".

I told them I wasn't paying for the half *** paint job. Simpily because of all the reasons i found above. I havn't heard from them, but then again it could be beacuse my boss is the body shop owners good friend.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:09 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its your car, of course your expectations arent too high....

BUT I can understand that **** happens.... Although they should be up front about it.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:08 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Just like a chain they are only strong as their weakest link...and that hood badge shows you how weak a link they are!!!

That cuts right to the heart of their work ethic...or lack of.

Be as nice as you can, and like you said the most value is found in the lesson and the information you have given us for our future endeavors.

I would make them buy you a new header panel, and a platinum hood badge.

The rest you can fix yourself, with a little time and effort.

As many have said, if you want something done right do it yourself.
When it comes to getting paint work done by shops. I remove and mask anything I know they will fubar. Most shops are OVERSPRAY blind, so think along those lines.

Quick Reply: Body shop - are my expectations too high?