Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke down in da hood this morning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 04:29 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke down in da hood this morning.

This morning just sucked. Not only have I been sick the last couple of days and not getting much sleep, I have this happen. I'm leaving one of our clinics in Centeral Park when the S just dies at a light. Well of course when the light turns green no one wants to help push it out of the intersection so I'm pushing while everyone is just looking and pointing at the Porsche being pushed.

It's 85 degrees and about 90% humidity. I'm dressed in a dress shirt and slacks. Needless to say I am covered in sweat in about two minutes. I call for a tow, It takes him 2 and half hours to pick me up. In the mean time I am having to deal with all the homeless people giving me sh@t and asking for money. I even had one guy say he could fix it. He opened the hood and just staired at the engine. He couldn't even find the battery. Then he told me his time was worth a couple of bucks. Get the f6ck out of here!

Anyway heres my question. Can the speed/reference sensor be checked with a multimeter?

I jumpered the DME relay, I could hear the fuel in the rail. Still no go. So the speed/reference would be my next guess.

Also the engine died at the same time I turned on the A/C. Is their anything connected here or just coincidence?

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:38 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 7thStranger
He opened the hood and just staired at the engine. He couldn't even find the battery. Then he told me his time was worth a couple of bucks. Get the f6ck out of here!
ROFL!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you try turning off the AC then starting the car again? j/k

But seriously, how did it die? When you crank the car (will it crank) does it try to start and die or will it just not kick over at all?
Old 06-07-2005, 05:52 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

It just shut off. No noise. I didn't even realize it until the idiot light came on.

The engine cranks. It sounds storng while its cranking. But it does not sound like it is catching. Just cranking.

I'm guessing it's not getting fuel or spark.

I have not had time to really look into it.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
TrevorW
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't sound like its spinning faster than normal does it?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hopefully not trevor. 16 valves gone byebye would majorly suck.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Swap DMEs with the 84. Even though you have an S the car should at least kick over and try to start with the early DME in it. If it does then you need to look into getting a rebuilt DME or maybe just resoldering the connections in yours. Its an easy thing to check. The funny thing is when my DME went south, the car would keep running once started but just would not start sometimes.

Also, another easy thing to check. Make sure your rubber intake boot didn't come loose from the AFM at the bottom. That did happen to me once so don't count out the easy things.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm. i MIGHT have this problem with mine. if it's been a while in starting the car the car wont start. then it'll eventually start and once started the car will run just fine. then turning it off and on immediately is easy and it starts right up. once every now and then it'll also shut down in the middle of the road.

is there a way to check the speed/reference sensors?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:48 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow bad day for Tampa 944s. I had a flat this morning, only took 1 hour for the tow. Had two state troopers ask if I was OK.
It sounds like the speed/reference sensors. Had the same problem on mine once. The car just died. The connectors get old and brittle. I would try playing with them. Also do you have a spare DME relay? I know you jumpered it, but change it with another one.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:57 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Here is a great idea for 9X,944online, paragon...and the beat goes on...

A quick 44/51 maintenance kit.

Stranded...in your kit you will find the most common....

Spare DME relay etc....

Someone ought to start a thread to help them make more money.

Ok, so you could probably build your own, but there are plenty of newbies or people who have just had good luck and might like this...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:26 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

no it is not spinning faster then normal. The timing belt is still there. Have not checked the cam chain yet.

Yes the intake boot is still attached. I have had that happen before also.

The only cop I saw today was arresting some guy with a shopping cart full of office furniture.

Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow and check this out more.

Can you atleast check resistence on the speed/ref sensors to see if they are ok?
The sensor for the S is $250. And requires removeal of the intake to get to it.

Time for some NyQuil and pleasant dreams.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's try the DME relay first...a few shots of tequilla and all will be well.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 PM
toomanylemons
Advanced

i had a bad DME for awhile in my old '86. it would die and usually start right up. sometimes though it seemed like it had to cool down for awhile before it would start again. after i had it rebuilt, they advised me to check my grounds. so i cleaned them all up and snugged them down, never had another problem.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:07 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Can you atleast check resistence on the speed/ref sensors to see if they are ok?
Speed sensor - 600-1600 ohms between pin 8 and 27; more than 1 MegaOhm between 8 and 23

Reference Sensor - 600-1600 ohms between pin 25 and 26; more than 1 MegaOhm between 25 and 78
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2005, 09:58 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

This morning just sucked. Not only have I been sick the last couple of days and not getting much sleep, I have this happen. I'm leaving one of our clinics in Centeral Park when the S just dies at a light. Well of course when the light turns green no one wants to help push it out of the intersection so I'm pushing while everyone is just looking and pointing at the Porsche being pushed.

It's 85 degrees and about 90% humidity. I'm dressed in a dress shirt and slacks. Needless to say I am covered in sweat in about two minutes. I call for a tow, It takes him 2 and half hours to pick me up. In the mean time I am having to deal with all the homeless people giving me sh@t and asking for money. I even had one guy say he could fix it. He opened the hood and just staired at the engine. He couldn't even find the battery. Then he told me his time was worth a couple of bucks. Get the f6ck out of here!

Anyway heres my question. Can the speed/reference sensor be checked with a multimeter?

I jumpered the DME relay, I could hear the fuel in the rail. Still no go. So the speed/reference would be my next guess.

Also the engine died at the same time I turned on the A/C. Is their anything connected here or just coincidence?

Thanks.
Hey where in da hood did you break down?

I just want to see if I remember Tampa that well! (I used to live there about 7 years ago)

Quick Reply: Broke down in da hood this morning.