Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Momo Shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Momo Shift *****

I'm looking at some of the Momo shift ***** that Vertex sells. They indicate that these will fit a 944 (in addition to anything else from a 356 to a 930) but there is no information regarding how it would be adapted tot he rectangular shift shaft. Has anyone used on of these? They show a shift boot-**** adapter but nothing that seems to address the differences between round and rectangular shaft mount. I haven't had any luck in raising anyone in thier tech support either....
Old 05-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTDT... The adapters are available from Performance Products, et al, BUT, IMO, you should stay with the OEM shifter. As in many such "upgrades" the original parts are far superior. Aftermarket ***** are noisy, buzzy, rattly, and did I mention, unbearably noisy? If you want to functionally improve your shifter, retain the OE shifter and get a short shift kit.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:30 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I have the Momo Combat on the SFR short throw lever and haven't had any problems. It's been on the car for a two years and I can't say that the noise level or buzziness is any different. It has worked loose a couple of times but was fixed easily by tightening it again (it never came off while driving!).

I don't know how vertex adapts for the round Momo **** but the shift ***** themselves are fine. It's a preference issue that you won't be able to answer until you drive with it. Some people like that Momo while others won't use anything but stock.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Hi Carl, I already have an Autothority short shift kit in there and have shortened the stock **** about 1 inch. It works fine but I was replacing the boot, messed up the plastic **** insert and for a little more than the cost of a new stainless insert I can get a decent looking Momo leather ****. The installation instructions I've seen for these show a rubber bushing being used. Did your installation use this? I'm not really worried about a little extra noise - I guess I'm a little bored with the stock look....
Old 05-27-2005, 12:34 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Hi Daniel, did you use the rectngular to round adapter on the shaft? If so, what does the adapter look like?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:49 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience, the adapter did not allow use of the rubber bushing, the fit was too tight. I suppose you could reduce the size of the adapter or bore out the MOMO **** to allow fitting a bushing. Presumably, that could help with the noise, vibration and harshness issue.

Look at this old thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t+****+adapter
Old 05-27-2005, 03:01 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Hi Daniel, did you use the rectngular to round adapter on the shaft? If so, what does the adapter look like?

The SFR lever I have has the square upper removed and a round piece welded in it's place.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Thanks guys. I somehow missed that link during my search. That was what I was looking for.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:04 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike C.
Thanks guys. I somehow missed that link during my search. That was what I was looking for.

Here's my old thread showing the lever install. You can see what it looks like here

Quick Reply: Momo Shift knobs