Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: wat would you pay for a turbo kit?
$1000 max
26.67%
$2000 max
20.00%
$3000 max
26.67%
$4000 max
20.00%
$5000 max
6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:19 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
and why is everyone stuck on suspention upgrades in proportion to the turbo!!! im not MAKING a 951.
im turbocharging a 944. the 951 is a different machine. im not copying ANYTHING off the 951 except the concept of the turbocharger. just because you have more power doesnt mean you need all the extra little crap porsche did. would be nice, but if you want upgraded suspension then BUY SOME!
I have to agree with you here.
In Green Bay there is a supercharged 928 with a 6.1 liter 928 stroker motor running a blower that was pushing 22psi (before the stroker install - engine is not ready for that boost yet). Everything on the car is 100% stock except for the gear vendor reduction unit (it's an auto).

Tim Murphy (of murf928.com) ran for years with stock everything on his S4 with well over 500rwhp. It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. Low - moderate boost on a stock 944 will be fine, assuming all the stock components are in good shape.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Geo, that would make you quite a popular guy if you could find a place that would be able to coat pistons for compatibility with alusil bores. I think some others have tried this before but it always ends up being an issue with economies of scale - since there isn't much demand, production costs don't get offset by a large production run for the piston manufacturer and as a result the price is still high - not much better than the Mahle ones.

I agree that someone should be able to do it though. . . It ain't rocket science - this is metallurgy technology that's at LEAST 30 years old.

The thing that concerns me about boosting the n/a block is not the compression ratio - as has been rightly said, there are ricer guys boosting engines with native compression ratios of 10:1 and even higher - and they're boosting using 25, 30 even 35 psi sometimes! It's all about the tuning.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Geo, that would make you quite a popular guy if you could find a place that would be able to coat pistons for compatibility with alusil bores. I think some others have tried this before but it always ends up being an issue with economies of scale - since there isn't much demand, production costs don't get offset by a large production run for the piston manufacturer and as a result the price is still high - not much better than the Mahle ones.
Agreed. It won't be cheap. But it will make piston availability wide open. Right now when anyone needs pistons they scramble around to see who even has what they need, let alone someone who isn't going to bend them over. I think Swain Tech could do it if someone would A) convince them, and B) have an order ready.

Swain helped me with my turbo G20 project that I did an article on for Sport Compact Car. They also did all the coatings for the NA SR20DE I built for my Sentra SE-R. On top of that, I was the one who put Mike Kojima of Sport Compact Car onto them which has been good for their business. I think I might be able to talk him into at least exploring the idea. I'm going to try when I'm ready. Or, if someone not only wants to try right now, but is ready to put up cash for pistons and coatings, I'd be happy to talk with them now. But someone needs to be ready to spend cash. I won't waste their time with what ifs.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:39 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

One huge difference.. I see alot of folks comparing 4 valve results to a 2 valve. The chamber is far inferior IMO, especially for boost.

If I ruled the world...

16V head, large variable turbo
Old 05-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by nine-44
One huge difference.. I see alot of folks comparing 4 valve results to a 2 valve. The chamber is far inferior IMO, especially for boost.
Absolutely. I had mentioned the SR20 has a better combustion chamber design. It's not simply a matter for boost, but one of detonation resistance.

Quick Reply: .