Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultrasonic cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 02:36 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultrasonic cleaner

I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I found in my father's garage after he passedaway. It looks brand new, and I used it for the first time today, but with little to show for it. I used mineral spirits in it, because I knew it's less likely to burst into flames than something like kerosine, and not going to hurt metal bits. Anyway, it didn't do much. It cleaned my parts cleaner brush real well, but not any of the parts I was trying to clean. What type of solution should I be using in it? Is kerosine safe to use? The unit has a heater and though it won't get scalding hot, it does get quite warm. For now I'm just playing around with old tools and car bits in it, but aren't these supposed to be pretty good for removing even tough things like rust?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You need ultrasonic cleaning fluid, designed for very low surface tension so you get good cleaning impact on the part surfaces. Many specialty places sell it in concentrated jugs. In a pinch, try half water with one drop of dish soap, and half denatured alcohol.

Sam
Old 05-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any sugestions on what type of specialty places might have the stuff? I assume just a regular hardware store isn't likely to have it?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Highway T
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A word of caution, never put your hand in the bath with the ultrasonic turned on, it causes damage and problems similar to vibration 'white finger'.

As I'm a chemist there is always a bath around the lab somewhere and sneaking parts in to clean is one of the few perks.

Decon is probably the best stuff but it might be trade only. A solution of degreaser such as Simply Green or washing up liquid should work provided you can get all the water off/out afterward.

Chris
Old 05-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm aware that I shouldn't put my hand in, though I have always been really curious about what it would feel like. I was surprized to see that the manual only says not to put your hands in while it's on to "avoid discomfort."
Old 05-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It stings.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:14 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Epic2112
Any sugestions on what type of specialty places might have the stuff? I assume just a regular hardware store isn't likely to have it?
I use ultrasonic cleaners on medical instruments. Even though they may look "new," because of the stainless steel housing, the sound generators do wear out, or go out of tune, over a period of time. I think I recall reading a way to test them by putting water in the tank then putting a piece of aluminum foil in the water. If it gets pitted, then it's working properly?? You can probably do a web search and call the tech service dep't of any U/S manufacturer to see if this is correct. I take a cleaner home occasionally, that we use for general purposes (mostly for the chicks in the office to clean their jewelry in )
I usually just use some Dawn dish soap, or an engine decarbonizer: "Sea Foam" when I'm cleaning injectors. That's about as 'flammable' of a cleaner that I'd care to use. Any solution that is flammable, is a potential fire risk in a U/S cleaner.
As far as sticking your fingers in while it's running, I did that once, (keyword here is ONCE ) and it felt like a minor electrical shock... just to satisfy your "curiosity..."
You can probably find 'official' U/S cleaning solution by doing a web search, or possibly on ebay. We go through a supplier called "Hilco," but I think you have to be a medical facility to buy from them. If you can't find it, pm me and I can order an extra quart next time I order supplies, and ship it to you. If I recall, it's like ~ $11.00 a quart, which should last you several years.
Also, you may be getting poor results if you're putting heavy parts directly onto the bottom of the tank. The generator is attached to the underside of the tank and cavitation action is severely reduced if you have heavy parts touching the bottom. There should be a basket that came with the cleaner, or you should find a way to suspend the parts, in the solution, to avoid touching the bottom of the tank. It's ok for small parts to sit on the bottom, but heavy parts will hinder the vibrations.

Last edited by Lizard944; 05-25-2005 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Lizzard - Do you submerge your injectors in the bath when cleaning them? I've been toying with the idea of cleaning some old stock injectors myself.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Lizzard - Do you submerge your injectors in the bath when cleaning them? I've been toying with the idea of cleaning some old stock injectors myself.
Yeah Mike, I do submerge the injector on it's side, in the U/S tank, but I try to keep the connector pins out of the solution. I prefill the injector using an eye dropper, before putting it in the U/S bath. You have to get solution into the injector or else the U/S unit won't clean it out well. Doesn't do much good if a bubble forms at the top of the injector inlet, and then won't allow fluid to come in contact with the screen and internals of the injector. After U/S, I do the "backflush" thing that some have described : I use a mityvac pump and connect a hose filled with Sea Foam or carb cleaner, to the pintle end of the injector. I then hook it up to the positive pressure fitting on the Mityvac and pressurize the hose a little. Then I hook up some small jumper leads to the injector's connector pins.
I use a motorcycle battery and hook up the negative lead, then tap the positive lead to the battery and this activates the solenoid in the injector and allows the solution to pass through the injector. You want to keep 'tapping' the battery terminal to agitate the inner workings of the injector, and so you don't burn out the injector windings, by applying constant voltage. I will then put the injectors back into the ultrasound again, and do this routine a few times over.

Quick Reply: Ultrasonic cleaner