Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it with 911 and boxster drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by simmomi
Bottom line - it's a nice gesture to say "Hey - nice car." Nothing more.
Granted, but lets be honest, a lot of Porsches are gigantic piles of crap. So technically they are not nice in pretty much any way other than the fact that theres a Porsche crest on it.

Probably 9 out of every 10 914s you drive past are more worthless than a Kia Spectra due to their rust and dryrot.

So Im just looking for the rules of engagement here. It cant be because all Porsches are nice cars because they arent. Just like not all husbands and wives love honor and obey.

If its the wave because its a Porsche and no other reason, I can live with that. I dont understand it, but I can live with that reasoning.

Chris_924S couldnt **** me off with a garden hose.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try.

If I could find a damn garden hose.. I'd be GOLD!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:28 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the other day i drove next to a guy in a white 944 S with fuchs.. guy was trying to ignore me! didnt even look over! what a dick.. if your reading this! Next time wave back!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:36 AM
MoonBoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
If its the wave because its a Porsche and no other reason, I can live with that. I dont understand it, but I can live with that reasoning.
The wave thing goes way back to a simpler time, when not so many Porsches roamed the earth. It was probably a much more rare thing to see a Porsche in the 50s, 60s, and, 70s, before the 80s (and all that came with that). I think it's just a comraderie thing. "Hey! You have a fine sprts car there! We both are in the pursuit of excellence!" FWIW when I used to own my old aircooled VWs (1965, 1966, and 1971 Beetles, and one 1969 Karmann Ghia) I used to get waves all the time from aircooled VWs, some watercooled VWs, and a lot of non VWs , when the New Beetles came out I would get waves from them too! That was nice.

I don't know, but I think the wave is dying off from dilution of marque heritage.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
OK let me play devils advocate here. I like to delve into the psychology of the wave.

Do people who drive Geo Storms wave to each other. If so, why so, and if not, why not.

I saw a guy in Sams Club last week I was walking next to. I had a pair of Adidas Sambas on. So did he. I didnt say anything. He didnt say anything. We both knew it, but somehow the thrill of exchanging pleasantries because of this kinship seemed not so important at the time. Oh what could have been.

"Hey man, I notice you have on Sambas too."
"Oh sweet I saw you over there by the ornamental plants. I was hoping youd say something."
"Well I just think guys like you and me need to stick together you know. Shoes and all."
"True dat. These shoes kick ***. Im on my 40th pair. You?"
"29th. 10 1/2s baby."
"I wear 11s."
"So."
"Yeah. So."
"You come here often?"
"Im with my mom. She cant carry the heavy stuff."
"I can respect that. What do you do for a living?"
"I just got out of SuperMax for killing a couple babies with fishing line. But lets not let that come between us."
"Yeah no problem. I dont condone that, but I understand it."
"So."
Yeah. So."
"Well. Awesome shoes man. You have great taste."
"Thanks. You too."
"Umm. Can I call you sometime? Maybe go for a walk? With our shoes."
"I dunno man."
"But we both wear Sambas."
"I know man. Its just that I dont want things to go any further than this."
"Well, can I walk you to your car?"
"Uhh. I think I hear my mom calling me. We're picking up a 40-bag of Hi Pro for the Shep. I gotta roll."
For over thirty years I thought I knew what A D I D A S meant. At least what it meant to me. But you my brother just put a new meaning to it. I will make sure I am running in back of you from now on! I will continue to dream about it, just that my it is a lil bit diffunt den your it.
Originally Posted by Chris_924s
UD. I love ya buddy, but you got issues man..
BTW, I recently bought a pair of yellow pilotis.

It is officially the unoficial bust UDs ***** for no reason day.

Quick Reply: What is it with 911 and boxster drivers?