Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delete options, the budget kind

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 04:29 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
It might be available from Porsche... But if the plain unit is $400 or 500USD from them, then a much rarer unit would prolly be MUCH pricier.
Calling Asarus
Calling Anders
Can either of you shoot a closeup shot of your climate control?
Hi Res would be nice.
Email me or post a link.
TIA
Old 05-16-2005, 04:45 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

porsche-o-phile, you misunderstood me.
i want a temporary fix. i fully intend on replacing the compressor, but after i pulled in my driveway and the clutch assembly was smoking. i have been told that its just a matter of time before it seizes.

since my "backup" vehicle is having the clutch issues, i want to be able to drive the 944 without worrying about the belt breaking and me being stranded.

and since i havent recieved a reply about the compressor YET, and going to the chevy dealer to see if the PO forgot a part on the clutch job that he had a friend do.. that takes a little time. the clutch wont disengage all the way in my truck, and you really have to muscle it in gear.

i dont really want to buy a delete kit, thats why i was asking about a belt that i could bypass the AC for a little while

did i mention i was a poor college student, with all the other money sucking things i exprience week to week, the extra $400 for my "toy" takes a little while to come by. sorry if you dont feel i should own a 944, but sometimes i have to get by with what i have before i can get it to how it is supposed to be.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:22 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
When I see one on anything other than a dedicated track car I just see it as evidence of an owner that really shouldn't own a Porsche.
Does anyone want to buy my 951 - I dont need to own it anymore.

sorry but I just dont need A/C in a car that anytime its being driven has the windows down and the sunroof open...like today.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:29 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wizkid918
porsche-o-phile, you misunderstood me.
i want a temporary fix. i fully intend on replacing the compressor, but after i pulled in my driveway and the clutch assembly was smoking. i have been told that its just a matter of time before it seizes.

since my "backup" vehicle is having the clutch issues, i want to be able to drive the 944 without worrying about the belt breaking and me being stranded.

and since i havent recieved a reply about the compressor YET, and going to the chevy dealer to see if the PO forgot a part on the clutch job that he had a friend do.. that takes a little time. the clutch wont disengage all the way in my truck, and you really have to muscle it in gear.

i dont really want to buy a delete kit, thats why i was asking about a belt that i could bypass the AC for a little while

did i mention i was a poor college student, with all the other money sucking things i exprience week to week, the extra $400 for my "toy" takes a little while to come by. sorry if you dont feel i should own a 944, but sometimes i have to get by with what i have before i can get it to how it is supposed to be.
Someone posted about a standard NAPA belt that would work, the right length to go from crank to alt, as a cheap A/C delete. That size was apparently a bit tight, so I got a size that was just a tad bigger. I can post that tonight if youd like. Take note, I havent verified the fitment myself.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Someone posted about a standard NAPA belt that would work, the right length to go from crank to alt, as a cheap A/C delete. That size was apparently a bit tight, so I got a size that was just a tad bigger. I can post that tonight if youd like. Take note, I havent verified the fitment myself.
Biggest problem I see with that is how would you tension the belt? The A/C compressor is mounted on a turnbuckle that provides the tensioning for the A/C/Alt. belt.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:41 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Paragon has one listed also.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:47 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scootin159
Biggest problem I see with that is how would you tension the belt? The A/C compressor is mounted on a turnbuckle that provides the tensioning for the A/C/Alt. belt.
I was going to see about lowering the alt to the spot where the A/C goes or something creative if the belt doesnt fit "naturally"
Old 05-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Don't do a delete kit man. . . Those things are a cop-out. When I see one on anything other than a dedicated track car I just see it as evidence of an owner that really shouldn't own a Porsche.
Ow! my Ego! Jeff, come on...that's not a nice thing to say. I wasn't using it as a cop-out, I just never used it, so I figured why not just remove it instead of tossing in the cash for more R-12 and fixing the leaks, and electrical issues, I'd just pull it all together.

I know ya didn't mean that...
Old 05-16-2005, 08:37 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It kicks in for defrost use too remember. . . Hot dry air is a helluva lot more effective at defrosting the windows than hot wet air. . .

If you're seriously going to delete it "for weight considerations" then make sure that:

(1) you have the system professionally evacuated and the freon recovered - not just dumped into the atmosphere.
Yup, did that.

(2) delete the ENTIRE system - compressor, condenser, hoses, EVAPORATOR, etc. This will give you the maximum "weight savings" benefit.
Yup, did that.

(3) Get rid of the a/c button then. Or make it the button that launches the missiles. Whatever. Just don't have vestigial buttons that don't do anything. It's annoying and looks like you don't care about the car.
Yup, did that. Put the silly A/F meter in its place (early dash)

Sorry, I'm a bit **** about this stuff. As far as I'm concerned, if it's on there, it should work. If you're going to remove it, remove it ENTIRELY and remove the entire system. Don't do a half-assed job. That's all.
Yes you are being ****, but more power to you. I deleted mine because I never used it. In fact I never really use the one in the Civic or in Karen's '04 Golf TDI. That was the original reason I pulled it out, and then when I found out how stinkin' heavy it is I got on the "add lightness" kick that I am currently on. If you will also note I am doing as complete and accurate "looking" a job as possible with my manual sunroof conversion.

By the way, to get off topic a bit, did anybody see this thing on ebay this weekend. It was a rear seat delete for a 968CS. Basically replaces the seats with carpet. I wanted bad but it was in the UK and sold for close to $200.00
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2005, 09:24 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok... the short belt I am using at the moment is a Gates K050330.

Because there is no way to adjust tension, the belt must fit snug... thus it takes a little work to install.

I installed from under the car, but the belt on the alternator and roll the belt on the crank pulley by rotating the crank (like putting a chain on a single speed bike), a screwdriver also helped me.

Takes just a few minutes and belt fits great.

This is working for me till I have time/money for A/C repair and I can drive the car without worry of the A/C locking up and causing any damage.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:31 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

excellent, you buy this at NAPA?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:34 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wizkid918
excellent, you buy this at NAPA?
O'Rileys, but any autoparts store should have it or be able to cross it to there brand in stock
Old 05-16-2005, 09:48 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

ok thanks again, should be flying by tomorrow
Old 07-18-2005, 08:57 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought I'd post a follow up to this discussion. I finally sourced the heater control unit from a 968CS from a fellow UK 'lister, it's on the way here. So my car is becoming even more "club-sporty" and, hopefully, my AC-Delete can finally be "P-O-P-approved" .
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Of course, this means that my perfectly good, factory AC/Heater control unit that is coming out of the car will be for sale soon, if anyone is looking for one.

Quick Reply: AC Delete options, the budget kind