Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock alarm key the same as ignition key?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stock alarm key the same as ignition key?

I've heard some conflicting comments on this. I remember reading that the key was of a different/seperate type than that used on the doors and ignition stock from the factory. In getting all the electrical bugs worked out in my '85/1 project car, I got everything working as it should (I think), including the stock alarm that has the key switch just behind the drivers door, but I don't have a key that will work in it.

I connected the wires going to the switch assembly together, and the alarm went off the moment I opened the doors, tried to start it (it wouldn't), or open the hood.

The key I have for the ignition/doors is really, really wore out, and of an aftermarket type blank ( it doesn't work well even in the ign. switch or doors ). I need to get a good key for the doors/ign. anyway. Maybe this is why it won't work?

I called a local Porsche dealer, asking about keys for this car, using the VIN and all, and the gal I talked to finally came back to the phone and said that this car uses the same key for the alarm, as is used for the doors and ignition switch stock from the factory.

Is this really correct? I have my doubts about what the gal over the phone said, due to the long wait I had before she came back with an answer ( she wasn't real sure sounding about it). She did tell me, that they want like $90.00 for a new key made for my VIN. And of course, I'm taking the risk that the doors and ignition switch and all HAVEN'T been replaced in the past. I must prepay for it, and its not refundable. So, I kinda want to have a little more warm and fuzzy feeling of what i"m gonna actually get before I go ahead and order a key that I hope fits all. Thanks for your knowledge and experience!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:16 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i doubt it, when i bought my car, none of the keys worked for the alarm (ignition, door lock) so i took it apart, inserted my ignition key into the cylinder and 2 of the tumblers lined up ok, i took the rest of the tumblers out that would interfere. lubed it up, put it back together, ignition key now works as alarm key, at the cost of about an hour
Old 05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

If I remember correctly (it's been awhile) they were indeed different!
Old 05-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

You took it apart huh?........well, I didn't even think of trying that. Does it come apart easy enough? Any tricks or gottchas? I already broke the darn trim bezel on the outside of it getting it off the panel, hehe. Thanks!, I might end up trying that later.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

I'm pretty sure the alarm key is different. I don't have my alarm keys anymore (it's a long story...), and the ignition key (I do have the original) does not turn in the alarm lock.
Anyways, any local locksmith can cut a key to the lock code, which you will find on the inside of the passenger side door lock cylinder (you need to remove the inside door panel).
I'm pretty sure if you pulled out the alarm lock cylinder, a locksmith will be able to make a key for that also. In any case, getting a key cut from a code shouldn't cost more than $30.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

They are absolutely different. The stock Porsche blank will work for doors, ignition and hatch. The blank for the alarms is "NLA" at the dealer. Get a Saab blank, they work perfectly for the factory alarms. No kiddin', go figure. . .
Old 05-11-2005, 08:32 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i broke my trim thing too, lol. mine still snaps on ok but it is split. after the trim thing is off, remove the nut, and take out the little vent in the door jam, reach your hand in the vent, and push the whole cylinder out into your hand then you can unplug it (disconnect the battery cable to otherwise your alarm will go off) you should have a cylinder in a nice black case.

the case is a PITA to get open, and i busted my knife prying it apart, its glued all the way around. i ended up actually cutting into it and prying it apart (electrical tape covers up this mess later) if you are careful and have more patience then me you might be able to get it off with hacking it up too bad. once you get the black thing apart, there is a white plastic piece that actually makes the two contacts connect (when the alarm is on) take that off remembering which way it was on.

then there is a snap rin ghtat is holding the cylinder in the black casing, take out the snap ring and it should slide out.

put in your desired key (the blanks are the same for door and ignition and alarm, just cut different, my spare set is VW23 key blank number from a volkswagon) or try a couple and see which one has more common cuts, you want the cylinder to have no tumblers sticking out when the key is in, any that are sticking out, just take them out. then you just pop it all back together

most of this is from memory but i think its pretty accurate. i didnt have too much trouble but im used to locks dealing with re-keying them at work. let us now if you get it to work, gave me a good sense of accomplishment
Old 05-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Judson951
Drifting

They are NOT the same. I use mine when I park places were the car may sit for over an hour.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

for clarification when i say blank is the same, your ignition key will go into the alarm cylinder, but it wont turn. that is what i mean to get it to work with your ignition or door lock key, only way is to remove/replace tumblers.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Andrew - You Rock!!!

I just did this, now I have an alarm that works when I need it.

Opening the case was a pain. I don't think there is any way to do it without destroying it. I ended up cutting the back off with a hack saw. Once I had it open, the snap ring came off and the cylinder came right out. I found three pins stuck out with my ignition key (arrows)
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc00253_copy1.jpg

The pins come out very easilly - just a light pull. Nothing holds them in except a little thick grease.
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc00254.jpg

Here's a pic of the white contactor with the switch in the ON position (alarm active)
http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc00255.jpg

The key turns 90degrees clockwise untill the arm pushed the contacts apart to disarm the alarm.
I just closed the case back up using a bit of silicone sealer and black electrical tape. I don't think the whole job took much more than 30 minutes...
Old 05-11-2005, 09:57 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

ya it doesnt take long if you take the hacksaw method, lol.

but congrats now you have a working alarm!!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

DAMN!.......you guys are good! I knew I liked this place!

So, which one of you is gonna post a full writeup on doing this? Maybe a combined effort? Maybe submit to Clark's Garage? I like it!

So, if I go ahead and order a new key based on the VIN just to get a decent overall key, it sounds like I CAN MAKE IT work for the alarm also, and won't have to figure out how to key the alarm

Saab key..........I'm not real surprised, but, what was the entire story? I do like the 1 key application way though.

Anyone know where one can get just the outter trim bezel for the switch? I'm in need of one...... a good one of course.

Any other ideas and thoughts GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:14 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

i think you can get them from pelican for like 3$ i cant remember the part off hand though

i actually read about how to do this from a guy on clarks garage, im not sure if he actually made a write up for it or not, he gave a step by step on how he did it, and i just did the same thing and passed on the intel
Old 05-11-2005, 10:41 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my early 85, they do use the same blank. A few years ago, I had some copies made and the same blank did work for both. FWIW, the cheapo blank the place had was brand name 'SILCA', made Italy, blank no. HU47.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:03 AM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

If I remove the interior trim piece, will I be able to remove the cylinder? I'd rather not take a chance to break the trim bezel (even with a "$3.00 replacement part from Pelican")?

I'm hoping to make rekeying the alarm my Sunday afternoon DIY.

NC

The Porsche Chattanooga track car from Charlotte Porschefest 2006
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Stock alarm key the same as ignition key?