Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker cover removal?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:43 PM
FLanderhol
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speaker cover removal?!?

How do you remove the rear speaker covers to gain access to the speakers on the 944? the noes i am talking about are the ones near the rear seats thank you i am looking to get new ones and i need to get the cover off without damaging anything! thank you again
Old 05-10-2005, 11:47 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from a previous post:

I just posted this for the archives.

After much searching in the archives for the right front speakers, I ended up going with the chart over on clark's garage and using the Alpine SPS-460A 4X6's. As stated - they sound great, were a direct fit and the factory grills fit perfect.

For reference, the speakers I removed were Sony XS-462. They were also a direct fit, the gills fit perfect and they sounded pretty good too. I did notice that the magnets on the back of the new Alpine's were a larger diameter.

The rear driver's speaker was not working. I chose to not pop the window but to go behind the panel from the door edge. This worked GREAT. If replacing the rears with 4X6 - there is no reason the pop the window. I just pulled the trim around the opening edge. The panel vinyl is lightly glued over the same edge. I just pulled that up carefully - removed the 2 screws at the bottom of the panel and was behind it in 5 minutes.

I had to cut down a phillips head screwdriver to make a small driver with a 90 degree bend to work within the limits of the panel. The panel swings out pretty far and I was able to get both hands and arms in, and remove and replace all 4 speaker screws. The panel when back in perfect, no bends or creases, and i was able to tuck the vinyl back up under the 1/4 window bottom trim.

The new alpines sound really good - and I'm satisfied with the sound of the 4 4X6's. Plently of sound for me in the tiny cabin. I ended up using one of the Sony's to replace the POS Blaupunk in the rear. I think I will end up ordering another set of the Alpines for the rear and replace those in the near future.
Thanks to all who posted before on this topic.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:17 AM
dstt
Advanced

I have heard that on some 944's (early or late), there is actually room in the rear spaces for 6-1/2" speakers. Anyone done this?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:08 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Pop out the rear window and pull back the cover. It makes the job a lot easier when you get whats in the way, out of the way.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

dstt, i have heard that Porsche used a block off plate in later cars, i believe '87 model year onwards. Not sure of the exact size, but you may already have the cutout for that. All you would need to do is reverse engineer the blockoff plate, blocking off the 4x6 hole.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:07 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

944 Total Speaker Removal Thread

I did a complete audio system overhaul last year and the thread above is a link to the thread I posted with all of the pics. Enjoy and I hope they help!

BTW the removal of the window is not bad at all... and that's speaking from a novice!

Take Care,
Cory
Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree! PULL the rear quarter windows out first. Not as bad as you might think, and a whole lot better and easier on the rear inner panels and YOU. I've had a couple of cars (including my "project" car) where the PO's didn't remove the windows, and HACKED the H**L out of the rear panels (they are under the panel, and glued to the car's structure) , because they must have been "afraid" to remove them (its NOT that difficult to remove/install them). Afterwards, you can do a whole lot of things to get aftermarket speakers in back there, since there is a ton of area to "work" with. The fronts.......well.......thats another thing...........kinda limited, unless your really into custom work. Just my .02 cents. Good luck!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Spider
Instructor

Yes I put 6.5" Boston Accoustics w/ minor mods. Since the stock panel perforations didn't quite match the speaker locations, I cut round holes in the panel near the bottom and surface mounted the B/A grilles. Before doing this, however , I covered the hole with taut black fabric as not to see through the speaker grilles and see the cones .It looks sharp and sounds good since it isn't muffled by the panel. I also glued heavy foam carpet pad to the insides of the fenders for better bass responce. Good Luck
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 AM
FLanderhol
Instructor

does anyone have a how to on taking the rear window out im not trying to sound liike a perfectionist or what ever i just dont have a lot of money to go in and replace stuff i break from dropping or pushing out to hard or whatever
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 AM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take off your shoes and lay in the rear seats - push it out with your feet and have a buddy play catcher. careful with the metal trim frame.

you pull it back in with a thin cord wrapped around the gasket - search is your friend.

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index..._v2&id=107&c=4
Old 05-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Zero10
Race Car

I removed the metal frame on the windows, then using a flat-head screwdriver, pulled up the rubber on the sharpest corner (front bottom), pushed the rubber flap through, then worked my way up an inch or two, until it would stay on it's own. Then I (sitting across the back seat) braced both of my hands against the window, and leaned into it, it pretty much slid right out. Turned around, and repeated.

The quarter panel trim comes off VERY easily once you have the windows out. Definately the way to go.

For re-installation, put a piece of string around the window in the groove, start one corner over the lip, while having a buddy apply pressure from the outside, pull the string out, it will pull the flap over the lip all the way around, push the metal trim back on, installation complete!

Starting in the 87 model year, the blockoff plates were installed at the factory (for the rear speakers).
Mine was one of the last couple hundred 87 MY 951's, and it had the blocking plate. I'm using the opportunity to install some infinity 6.5" speakers in there. Making up a filler plate from some roofing flashing. Should work out pretty well.

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker cover removal?!?