Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'd like to build the Great Wall of China...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd like to build the Great Wall of China...

...right between me and my air vents! They just won't stop blowing air. And when I open the sunroof, they REALLY blow some air. The fan isn't on (boy when I turn it on it's like all of my hair is going to get blown out). Is there a flap or something that's just broken allowing all the air that it wants to be sucked into the car? I can understand maybe a little air travel, but this stuff is STRONG. I close all my vents, but the air is so powerful it pushes past them and is blasting me in the face. If I don't put on sunglasses my eyes dry out in 30 seconds (are you all getting the picture, the air is strong)..

So...WHAT GIVES? How do I make it stop? I feel like I should put a wind turbine in the passenger seat and generate electricity!

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early or late car? I'm in harrisonburg too, which 944 is yours?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

It's a late (88 Turbo S) car. Mine would be the White 951 S that's lowered and, even while sitting still is breaking a good number of state and local laws...which one is yours?

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The early cars you can close any or all the vents. (nyah nyah!)

You can duct the center vent airflow to the windshield also if it really annoys you (although some will claim this reduces dash life by contributing to drying it out), you can also aim the airflow elsewhere, or turn on the floor vents.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:03 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only turbo I recall seeing is a yellow one, that you? I don't have one here right now, I used to drive a silver 2.0L 924NA but that got wrecked in August. I currently have an '83 on jack stands at my parents house waiting for the motor to be put in. As far as your problem goes I believe there is a damper on the fresh air intake box in the engine compartment that opens and closes but it doesn't get any direct airflow so I don't see how it would be blasting you in the face. If you have time tomorrow(Tuesday) a few people are coming over to my place and we're gonna strip out my 924, maybe we can take a look at your car too, PM me if you're interested and I'll get you the address.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:46 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Porsche-O-Phile - In the late cars you can close any or all the vents too (nyah nyah! )! The problem is, once I cut all of the vents off, the rush of Air is SOOO strong, it pushes past the vent closures. Aiming the airflow elsewhere - it's either going at me or my passenger (if I have one) and it's going to blow someone over

AznDrgn - Tomorrow I've got to do some Mother's Day visiting since my mom was in Myrtle over the weekend. I'll IM you and maybe we can hookup at some-point in the future. I'm not the Yellow Turbo (I saw it the other day at WalMart, and I like yellow on these cars. It looked like Chris (eurospeed951) but I couldn't be sure).

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 05:49 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Bump - I'm going to drive home soon (I hope) and I know this is going to continuously bother me. Is there some cardboard I could shove up under there??? ANYTHING, I'm dying here.

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

AFAIK you can't "shut off" the center vents on the later cars, that's what I meant - they don't have the "barn door" type valves like the passenger & driver's vents do. You're definitely right about being able to divert some of the airflow away though - this is kind of what I was getting at when I said to open the floor vents - then most of the airflow will go through the floor vents with only a little going out the center dash ones. Or you can duct it up to the defrost vents in the windshield.

On the early cars, you can actually shut off the center dash vents.
Old 05-09-2005, 06:07 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

In the late car I have the vertical lever that I thought was to shut off the vents (Generally it stops all air flow through the vents in the other 951's I've been in, unless the Fan is on HIGH, in which you get some bleed through) but the air is moving so fast through my car that it's higher than when the fan is on High, and it bleeds right through the "closed" vents. If I divert it to the floor I get a ton of air rushing UP at me, and it STILL isn't enough to stop a ton of air coming through the front vents.

I'm telling you, it's a LOT of air!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

You sure the vane that diverts the air up to the defroster is working? Sometimes the stupid plastic thingys can either break or pop off the lever.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, one thing with these cars, the climate control fan is ALWAYS on...even when it's turned off...if the car is on, the fan is on. it's something Porsche thought would be neat to do to circulate the air through the cabin a couple times per hour...

Second, that slider you're talking a bout in the center vents, that directs the air to the windshield IIRC... One last idea, don't know if you've done it, but both sliders moved all the way left, fan power set to "0" and that slider up, as well as the defrost button not pushed in would help...

Finally, I dunno how the HVAC system for the heaters in the late cars work, but have you replaced your vac lines lately?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, you may want to *CAREFULLY* remove the heater control panel and make sure the contacts are clean...

does the fan go to jet engine mode when turned up? does it feel like if there wasn't a seat back and a hatch you'd be pushed out the back? if not, then I'd say the contacts are either dirty or broken and need service.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Thanx for the responses (I'm STILL at work - pushing 12 hours now already)... Anyway - The plastic thing that diverts the air upward does work - except as in I feel a NOTICEABLE difference when I divert it back down, but there's soo much air pushing past it when it's in the up position, it still blows me away. I know that the fan is always "on", albeit only slightly. The fan is working properly, and cutting "off" properly. If I cut the fan on with all the air blowing past me, it does get even worse (if that's at all possible).

I haven't replaced any vac lines lately - is there a vaccuum controlled piece that would be keeping air flowing all the time?

Mark
Old 05-09-2005, 07:36 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Well, there's obviously something broken...early or late, it's not supposed to blow air forcefully all the time. Mine was always blowing when my heater rod clip was broken...but it was blowing warm air. When I fixed it, I was able to shut the vents and air was no longer forced out.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:40 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

My heater clip is fine (replaced it and the motor that operates it a little while ago), the air coming through is whatever temperature I set my thermostat at (as in I can make it blow cold, hot, or somewhere in-between). It's basically like driving without a windshield. The air isn't necessarily being BLOWN at me as much as it's just allowed to come into the car.

Quick Reply: I'd like to build the Great Wall of China...