Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stripped seat bolts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 07:13 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stripped seat bolts

Well i planned on taking out my seats today to give it a through clean up.

Went over to the pass. side seat to take out, took one bolt out via a 6 mm allen wrench. i went over to the second and found out the head was very worn out. My allen wont fit in there and if it would there is nothing to grab onto. What is the best way for me to remove these bolts? Given where the bolt is, its very hard to get too many tools in there, im having enough trouble with the allen.

and once i do get it out, would i be able to find bolts like these at a hardware store? if not, where?
Old 05-08-2005, 08:44 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

You have just entered into one of the absolute worst abysses of the Porsche ownership experience. Stripped seat bolts that wont come out.

I insulted and damned just about every living creature and ethnic group trying to get mine out. First of all the design is absolute horsesheite given that the bolts are contained on three sides if I remember.

The only way I found to remedy the situation was to get a big drill and drill those mother ruckers out until they just break apart into pieces and you can pull the pieces out.

If my seat bolts ever get stripped again you will see me on the nighty news.

A good caring rennlister spared a set of replacement bolts for me. I think you can find them at Tweeks etc but Im told any bolt with the right size and length will work. No, I dont know what that is.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

UDPride is not kidding. The PO stripped the bolts on BOTH of my cars. On one I was able to hammer in a bigger size allen, and on the other one I had to bust the seat rail and replace it with one from a ripped seat. I hate those things..
Old 05-08-2005, 09:34 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

well i got the stripped bolt out... i jus stuck a bigger allen in there and managed to get it out..

i have one more bolt that doesnt want to get out!! The allen fits in there fine and it isnt a matter of a stripped bolt; well not unless im stripping it trying to get it out. It wont budge! i sprayed it down with wd 40 and still nothing. I think im gonna take a hammer to it, or maybe drill it out if i cant get it out.. Sunlight is going away, and i havnt even removed one seat yet...
whats the stuff i read so much about, PBblaster? is it any better than wd 40? same?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:14 PM
s928s
Pro

bolts are 6x 20mm..metric allen head bolts should be able to get them at lowes or home depot.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

thanx..ill be sure to pick up a new set

update... tried drilling it out.. ate my drill bit.. chisel and hammering it now..
Old 05-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

When your able to replace the hardware, i recommend also buying the allen key socket. Its SO much faster with the socket. I took both seats out maybe 3 times before i finally bought the socket and was amazed how much time i saved without having to use the stupid allen key. If i was crazy, id just take the seats out for the hell of it because its so much easier!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 PM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

So after a day of trying, i got the seat out!!! THe last bolt required some.. uuh... tuff love but it came out.. stupid bolt..
well, after thinking that im going to be finding millions of dollars stashed under the carpet, i end up with 27 cents. not to mention new bolts i need to buy. Found one very tiny lil screw i have no idea where it goes, a long screw with a bigass washer that i tihnk goes somewhere near the DME..
i found 2 of the washers that should have been under the bolts that werent.

now for the what i needs.
the bolts ill be able to get at a hardware store.. but i need the brackets or braces that go under the rails, for some reason mine dont have any. I can see the stained place where the brackets belong. any idea where i can get some?
thanx for the input and following my struggle today. 5 hours and one seat out...sounds like a productive day
Old 05-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Z-man
Race Director

A trick I used to remove a stubborn and stripped seat bolt was to use a 'star' or 6 pointed torx type thingy - a T-20 or T-30.

Sorry for the cryptic response. If you need, I can dig around my tool box and find the exact name of the tool I'm trying to describe!

-Z-man.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:59 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4lyfe
So after a day of trying, i got the seat out!!! THe last bolt required some.. uuh... tuff love but it came out.. stupid bolt..
Well, ummm.... congratulations!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:05 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Thanx Joe... a whole day for one bolt i tell ya.. nonsense!
tomorrow ill be cleaning everything and poutting the seat back asap.. ill post a pic of the dreaded bolt later.. i ripped him a new one..
Old 05-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thing to remember when you go searching for bolts (which I thiink should be available at a good hardware store) is to get the right grade bolt as your seat belt is attached to the seat. That's also why there are 6 of them, earlier cars only had 4 but the seat belt attached to the transmission tunnel.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

If you are talking about those L shaped brackets under the seat rail the bolts screw into, they look pretty common in size. If someone here has the dimensions Im sure any hardware store will have them.

Id rather give birth through my rectum than mess with stripped seat bolts again.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You haven't experience true seat fun until one of the captured nuts that the seat bolts down to starts to spin.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
A trick I used to remove a stubborn and stripped seat bolt was to use a 'star' or 6 pointed torx type thingy - a T-20 or T-30.

Sorry for the cryptic response. If you need, I can dig around my tool box and find the exact name of the tool I'm trying to describe!

-Z-man.
That's exactly how I got one of mine out. Drill bits and Easyouts just broke but one size too big star hammered into the bolt worked.

Quick Reply: stripped seat bolts