Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Paint Work! (NO 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 03:05 PM
Super Dave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carl,
I would think that a day with the VERY minimum amount of wind blowing is best on dust and such floating in the air. . How did "trash" in the air fair with your drying process? That is the only thing I am worried about. Doing all the prep, a good shoot then junk landing on it after wards would be a real bummer.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:42 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it easier to paint with a panel vertical on the car or flat on the ground? Especially with what Dave asked.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Wow, looks great! I have read a lot of threads where Dan (XSBoost) has given some really insightful pointers, and his work is great, so you chose some excellent advice.

Although a good respirator is probably fine for a limited amount of painting, I ordered one of these from Autobodystore.com (hobbyair is another popular model). A fresh air supply is the ultimate in safety, especially when combined with a full painter's suit. Just the ticket for worry-warts like myself!

Your links (especially the Jag one) are great. Here are two others:

'55 Chevy in which a cool restoration project is detailed with some nice homemade paint booth info.

Paintucation has some good forums.

Again, great work and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:06 PM
michaelathome
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I started doing some prep work on my '83 this weekend. Got a good start on both fenders and on the hood valance and headlight lids. Since I am trying to remove 1 or 2+/- mm of bondo across the front I figured that would be the best place to start. Some areas were as heavy as 3 to 4mm!! It looks like on a previous attempt to repair the damage PO decided to float the panels to try to get it alligned vs just aligning the panels.

I picked up some etching primer for anywhere that I got to metal (75%) of the area that I was working on. I also purchased a "buildable" primer to try to get some of the issues taken care of vs using bondo. I am not overly concerned with dents as I am not really finding many other than the botom of the driver fender was pushed in/folded under. I'll try to put some pics up as I get further along. It's nice to see the old girl getting closer to a single color even though it isn't green.

Carl is was you and XSBoost that got me moving on the prep work. I really wanted to get more done but it's not something that I really wanna hurry as I have not painted anything larger than a model, outside of some wals in my house. I've got some other mechanical issues that I need to address but until I get the parts I figured what was some sand paper and some elbow grease.

Michael
Old 05-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Dave
Carl,
I would think that a day with the VERY minimum amount of wind blowing is best on dust and such floating in the air. . How did "trash" in the air fair with your drying process? That is the only thing I am worried about. Doing all the prep, a good shoot then junk landing on it after wards would be a real bummer.
Definately not too big of a deal, just build a plastic room inside of your garage, and keep the door closed. We didn't have the door closed the whole time. i really wish that we did though, would definately do that next time. Dust is not THAT big of a deal, don't worry too much.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
Is it easier to paint with a panel vertical on the car or flat on the ground? Especially with what Dave asked.
The plus to doing it off the car, is not having to mask the whole rest of the car off, you don't want any overspray on any other sections of the car now do you?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
944J
Banned

Looks great. My questions now are the process for the rest of the cars and...

Can you make a list of equipment/supplies and approximate costs, itemized?

Just wondering how much it is compared to having a body shop do it or a skilled friend.

Also I'd rather have someone else risk their lungs too so I'd pay a little extra for that.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Super Dave
Pro

A good respirator to protect your lungs just fine. That is all they are wearing on all the cool car restore shows everyweek.
www.eastwoodco.com has all you would ever need
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome Carl, awesome....
I'm back in town now, I'll stop by sometime and check it out.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I will preface this by saying that it is very likely that the amount of isocyanates (the really nasty stuff in modern polyurethane paint systems) that one exposes themselves in the course of doing a little hobby painting on one car is probably not much of an issue.

However, having that out of the way, if one is going to do their own painting, then it would be worthwhile to read up a little on the health related issues. In many cases, we start out doing a little painting as a one-time deal, but then start to get good at it, and find more projects to do and so on and so on... At some point, you may get to the point where there are some health issues (might also have something to do with one's genetic pre-disposition to such things as asthma). The guys on the TV shows are usually painting in a high-$$ booth with excellent ventilation which mitigates things. But, a lot of painters do use remote-air systems (even when in a booth), and if one is at all concerned about this stuff, it really is cheap insurance (the Hobbyair and Neoterik systems both retail for under $400 US). On top of that, whichever type of protection you opt for, also go for a painter's suit (inexpensive disposable units can be had), gloves, goggles and use your protection as soon as you open a can to start mixing.

If you do opt for an organic filter type respirator (instead of a fresh air system) than stick to the brand name cartridges, store them in a resealable plastic bag when not in use, and replace them often (check the manufacturer's recommendation). As a final note, isos apparently are odourless (unlike the less harmful solvents) so caution, caution, caution!

I don't mean to sound like such a mother, but I have read a lot on this subject and just feel its worthwhile for anyone who is contemplating painting to do their own research and make the choice that they are comfortable with. (I do tend to overdo this kind of thing... please read this as well-intentioned thoughts. And, I am NO expert, YMMV!)
Old 05-10-2005, 12:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

they sell "paint" masks that are disposable or have replacable filters at the paint store for $15. that body shops use most the time.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What method(s) did you use to strip the old paint? What grit sandpaper? Where did you order the paint from?
This thread has definitely given me a boost to give this a try, loads of good info.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM
HughA44s
Instructor

Mac Freak, I am working on my second 944 paint job and was interested in some of your processes. I am using DuPont products and will be painting it the same color (Gaurds) as you. I first car I did, I didn't take the whole thing apart but may do it this time. Querstion, did you have any problems matching color from panel to panels or was it consistent? Did you paint all the parts on the same day and at mostly the same time? The first car I did was metiallic grey was it was a real pain to prevent tiger-stripping and keep the color consistent. I hope red is a bit more forgiving. I do know air pressure, temp, and mix will effect color slighty.

Quick Reply: My First Paint Work! (NO 56k)