Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 points with these seats??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 points with these seats??

This is probably a very stupid question, since all seats that I have seen where people use a 5pt have a hole in the bottom for that last strap, but figured I would throw it up. Can you use a 5pt with these seats? They are Sparco Speeds. Sorry that one pic is sideways, but I don't know how to rotate it.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:21 PM
schumi
Instructor

I believe the recommended install is to have the crotch strap (hee hee) drop down close to vertical rather than wrapping around the front of the seat, so I would say no, get a seat with a hole if you want to use a 5 point harness.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Ted,
Schumi is right, the only proper way to run a seat without holes for a substrap is with a 6 point harness. If you check out HMS website, and their information on the Schroth harnesses, you'll get a better explanation.
-J
Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Eeehhh, thanks guys. I will pass that info along to my friend, maybe he will want to just sell the seats. BTW, Jon, I sent you a PM a few days ago, and my comp quit as I was sending. Did you get it?
Old 05-05-2005, 02:51 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

To surmise (and because it's also the setup I run) you can run a dual sub strap setup where the sub straps run under your thighs to where the lap belts mount. This is similar to how F1 and other low slung cars mount the belts. For those cars, the point is that drivers are reclined heavily. This arranges the straps something like a a parachute harness.

For street cars, running the sub belt over the front of the bottom cushion will keep the belts located properly but doesn't prevent the driver from submarining underneath.

That said, there are lots of variables that go into any incident. Nothing guaranteed.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Ted,
I did get it. Give me a ring, when you get back. I should be "phoned" in a day (wasted way too much time on Ebay). I'm going to be thrashing on my car for the next week with the t-belt, fuel lines, and miscellaneous "to-dos" before WGI.

Sorry to hear about the Audi, I have my new registration sticker sitting in the driver's seat of my car.
-J
Old 05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i have the sparco sprint and cannot run 5 point harnesses correctly with it.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What application will the car/seat be used? Granted, looping the substrap over the front of the seat isn't as effective as using a seat with a hole in it for the substrap, it is still an acceptable way to use harnesses for certain appilcations like autocross and DE. Check with the group you plan on running with to see if it is acceptable. It's all about compromises! (In the NNJR PCA region, it is acceptable.)

-Z-man.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:42 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the replies.

Z, the car will mostly be used for DE. That is another question I had, whether or not the car would pass tech like that. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:20 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 6 points are much appreciated by your children yet to be
Old 05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by patrat
Every 6pt we have looked at still uses the slot in the seat though, unless you did it as ninefiveone suggested, and run them under your thighs, but I don't know how practical that would be with these seats.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:54 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by patrat
Yes, the 5-points are called lady belts for a reason..
Old 05-06-2005, 12:16 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

I have seen 6pt belts where the leg straps are anchored at the same point as the lap belt. They lay underneath your legs, and then get pulled up onto other belts or anchored into the latch as you buckle up.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:21 AM
smokey
Pro

It's not as effective, but you can run the sub belt around the front of the seat, and it will pass tech for DE. I ran that way for a number of years with Corbeau CR1's, and one of the seat manufacturers (can't remember which one) shows this as a less-desireable option on their website, but acceptable for an upright seat. I had an upholsterer make proper holes in my current seats, and now run the strap through the seat. An auto upholstery shop should be able to make the holes for $100 or so. Make them at least 6" wide, so you can use a double sub-strap, and make it far enough forward so that it will be comfortable. After a first attempt that was too far back - making me reluctant to use the brakes - I had a second hole cut in a straight line with the shoulder harness from the shoulder to the seat. Anyway, running it over the front of the seat is not ideal, but it can be done, remembering that no system will be perfect for all circumstances. I hit the wall at Mosport last year and totalled my car with no damage to my accoutrements, but it wasn't a really super-hard hit. YRMV.

Quick Reply: 5 points with these seats??