Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I make a good 924/944 owner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
theseeker411
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I make a good 924/944 owner?

I'm in the market for a new car and I'm considering either a 924 or a 944. I'm 21, still somewhat supported by my parents, I have a part time job, and I know which way to spin a wrench. My previous car was a 95 VW Golf, and I did the majority of the work on it myself. So my question is, do I sound like a guy that can handle an old Porsche? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:57 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, you have dual source income (parents a job), that's good. You can turn a wrench, thats good. The most important thing is to find a good example, even if that means spending a little extra money. It's been said a million times, but I will say it again; "There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche." Check the rennlist classifieds, also.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would shy away from the 924, go with either the 944 or the 924S (which is basically the same as a 944, just in 924 clothing). If you enjoy working on cars and are fairly adept at turning a wrench, these cars are great.

Just take note that they can get expensive if you buy a car with a poor mechanical history. Your first year (or 6 months for that matter) of ownership will likely be the most expensive if maitenence was not kept up to date. Timing belt, water pump, rollers, clutch...and working out any quirks to get the car perfect. I would say if you have a spare car to use (i wouldnt keep a 944 as my primary daily driver, always have a backup) then go for it. I am a hypocrite saying that as i only own my 944, however im lucky that my sister leaves her brand new Jeep at home while she lives in the city (which is usually 25 out of 30 days of the month).

The fact you need to get past first is knowng that your driving a 20 year old car, be it a Porsche or not. Things go wrong over time, having that Porsche crest on your hood isnt the root of the problems as some may seem or think. Any car, even a Toyota will be facing the same issues at 20 years old.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

Can you afford ~$150 a month for parts for the first few months? If you're like me, there will be some "issues" with your car that you'll want to address before you are really comfortable with it. Timing and balance belts, possibly seals, gaskets and rollers... and maybe the water pump and engine mounts. In the first 4 months I put ~$600 into my '88 NA, but I did all the work myself on weekends. For the last 3 months it hasn't needed anything but gas. These are solid cars, once they are in good shape mechanically. The problem is that many of them have been owned by young people who can't afford to maintain them, or just don't care. So, you see a lot of broken parts held together with duct tape and bailing wire.

If you can work on a 95 Golf (my gf drives one) then you can work on a 944. Just do your homework before you start so you don't waste time or money. Clark's Garage http://www.clarks-garage.com/ and Rennlist are excellent resources.

If you spend your time and money on maintenance rather than bling, a 944 will be a very rewarding purchase. They are very fun to drive.

-David
Old 05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're good to me, I'm 22, I've owned my 924S since I was 19, when I purchased it, I didn't know how to turn a wrench. Now, I do all the work myself. It's amazing what you'll learn. These engines aren't too complicated...rather easy to work on in fact. but like people said, go buy a good example. Mine was good (I thought) and I spun a bearing a year after I got it...3 years on the new engine (which I built) and all is well. Go buy one. they're great. Just realize it's expensive to maintain. I too have a job and my parents help, and it's still expensive... it uses 7 quarts of oil at each oil change, and parts are expensive because they say "Porsche" on them. there are plenty of aftermarket places to get parts, which work well.

I say go for it.

and yes...like David said, Maintinance and driving work make the 944 put a smile on your face every time.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:08 AM
theseeker411
AutoX

Thanks for all of the advice people. I think if I do go Porsche I'll go with a 944 N/A, after reading what everyone here has said about them. If I do, I'm definitely going to get a Carfax and a PPI, because the last thing I need is another fixer-upper/money pit. That's what the Golf was. Yeah, my parents soo stoked on that car.

Quick Reply: Would I make a good 924/944 owner?