Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear suspension differences.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:14 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear suspension differences.

are the rear c.v. shafts the same on late and early cars? are there any real benefit to using the aluminum control arms versus the steel? was morer changed other than the wheel backspacing? would the aluminum arms bolt in, in place of my steel arms? do 924s's use early or late backspacing when it comes to their aluminum arms? are the splines on the hubs the same? basically it comes down to: i have long studs with spacers on my early car with steel arms.....if i were to use the aluminum control arms from an 87 924s junkyard car, would that be anough to push my wheels outward a little? and if it doesnt push them out much, can i substitute MY early hubs with spacers, or do they just match up with late hubs without spacers?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can answer a few Kenny- To the best of my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong.

The 924S wheels are late offset, but the calipers are earlies- I dont know about the arms.
AFAIK all the CV's are the same except the automatics(Unequal length) and the splines are the same.

Cant kill threads here buddy! ~
Old 05-01-2005, 09:47 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ok..the car at the junk yard already has the wheels torn off... its good to hear that the c.v.s are the same...if i go this route. thansk chris.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NOOOOOO. 924s has aluminum swingarms w/ EARLY offset. The only reason you can put the late wheels on a 924s is due to the thin fenders. IF you need an entire rear suspension, i have one sitting under my workbench that a guy backed out from buying- torsions, brakes, rotors, everything...and i have a rear swaybar that would fit but no drop links or brakets.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

- I knew I would be corrected if I made a guess. I had no idea on the arms- so all I did was state what I knew.

Thanks XSBOOST!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From looking at the PET, the aluminum trailing arms for the 944s are the same part number from early to late, it's the hub that is different. The 924S used the early offset hub, but a slightly different pair of part numbers for the trailing arms than the 944s.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:52 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

so are there any real benefit to switching to these? and, im guessing since the stuff is the same, if i wanted to push my wheels out some, i could use the stub axle and hub from late offset on my stock steel control arms? is the sprung weight really worth the switch? seems like a lot of aluminum in the cast arms....
Old 05-01-2005, 02:12 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the hubs are really about the same, but the trailing arm itself has a different arch outwards. The later style aluminum arms have a one piece bearing that is less "prone" to failure. The aluminum arms also flex less IIRC. Not sure if it would really be worth the switch and how easy,but if you need one i can hook you up cheap! and its already out!
Old 05-01-2005, 02:27 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

ill have to see. i have to go back to the junk yard and see how much they want for their's...they are usually pretty cheap.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:23 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
are the rear c.v. shafts the same on late and early cars? are there any real benefit to using the aluminum control arms versus the steel? was morer changed other than the wheel backspacing? would the aluminum arms bolt in, in place of my steel arms? do 924s's use early or late backspacing when it comes to their aluminum arms? are the splines on the hubs the same? basically it comes down to: i have long studs with spacers on my early car with steel arms.....if i were to use the aluminum control arms from an 87 924s junkyard car, would that be anough to push my wheels outward a little? and if it doesnt push them out much, can i substitute MY early hubs with spacers, or do they just match up with late hubs without spacers?
Kenny,
I have swapped steel to aluminium rear (87 924S) on my 944-spec car.
1) CV's? ..... 1/2 shafts are longer on aluminum arms vs steel.
2) Benefit?.....Not sure, Al is suposed to be better and I did it becauase I had the parts. No difference noted.
3) 924S offset .... The 924S hardware is all early offset stuff and will fit on your 85. To fit under the narrow fenders the 924 used a late offset wheel on early offset suspension

Note you will also need to change the spring plate as the shape changes. The steel arm spring plate is cut differently and the alu arms wont fit on them. The Al arm spring plate has a bigger spacing to fit the Al arm or the steel arm. If you do the swap you will want the entire trailing arm assembly complete with hub, brakes calipers, brake disks, and brake lines. Of course the spring plate and 1/2 shafts too.

PM me if you have other questions. I have done this job on my 84 944 so I know all the ins and outs of it and parts required. PS... I did it at the same time I changed t-bars since I had to change the spring plate too.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

hmmmmmmmmmmmm ok thank you everyone. i guess no performance or handling gains. im going to see how much they want for the trans for a spare though.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
hmmmmmmmmmmmm ok thank you everyone. i guess no performance or handling gains.
Well I did not say they was no improvment. I just could not tell. The car did become noticable better on track with the change. However I also upgraded T-bars and had the car corner balanced too so I can't tell one from the other.

Quick Reply: rear suspension differences.