Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the 944

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 08:57 PM
Schmohey
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the 944

I don't currenly own one, but am in search for one. I was wondering what is N/A? North American? I see it on the forum a lot... na 944.. etc.

What are the best years for the 944? Can the pre 85, change the bumper to look like the post 85?

Manuals are more common on these cars than automatic? (I don't see a reason for getting an automatic anyway).

Are these cars easy to maintain? Reliable or will the car spend more time at the shop than me driving it? Are parts expensive? What MPG should I expect, and do you guys run it on regular or premium fuel?

What is the major difference between the non turbo 944, turbo 944, and the S2? Are the turbos much more quicker compared to its nonturbo version? Since the nonturbo are basic for these cars, will maintanence be cheaper or are they all the same?

Finally, wheres the best place to look besides eBay?

Sorry for asking so much questions, I know nothing about Porsches.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:01 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

N/A Normally Aspirated, i.e. non-turbo. 85.5+ has the newer interior.

http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq.html

There is a lot of good info there. That should answer most of your questions.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:06 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

na is Naturally asperated (or normally asperated) as in not forced induction (like a turbo). The bumper style did not change with the years, they changed with the models. I have a late 944. It is an 86 and it has the same bumper as the 83-85 944 sold in the US. The upgraded bumper you have seen is on a 944 Turbo (951) or the 944 S2. Ebay is where I bought a few 944's, but autotrader.com,cars.com and your local papers are good places to look too. Also an idea I wish I had used was to speak to PCA members that were local to me about cars for sale. Heck I am sure you could find a car for sale right here on Rennlist! Just not mine! I love it! Yes the 944 Turbo is faster than the na. Top end and acceleration (0-60)
Old 04-30-2005, 09:07 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Is a good site as well.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Clint's 944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schmohey
What are the best years for the 944? Can the pre 85, change the bumper to look like the post 85?

Are these cars easy to maintain? Reliable or will the car spend more time at the shop than me driving it? Are parts expensive? What MPG should I expect, and do you guys run it on regular or premium fuel?

Since the nonturbo are basic for these cars, will maintanence be cheaper or are they all the same?

In order...

There is not really a best year. Each model type has its perks and issues. It boils down to performance. YOu can get an n/a...an "S"...an "S2"...or the Turbo (951). I suggest reading up some more on the model types and then buy the best example you can afford.

Reliable? A well maintained Porsche will last you a long time. They do require periodic maintenance and this should not be overlooked. Now the cost to get it there if you buy a bargain Porsche, well... that can be cost prohibitive if you are not willing to do the work yourself. If you are on a budget, try to set aside $150 per month and you should be able to maintain/ repair your car and buy goodies down the road assuming you get a pretty nice example. Cost vary car to car depending on the condition. Part will be more expensive than your Ford, sorry, but you are getting parts for a "true" driving machine. As for the fuel, each model and some years require different grades of fuel. Have no fear, fuel cost will be the least of your worries once you slide behind the wheel!!

Maintenance on the N/A will be cheaper than the turbo. It's the nature of the beast. Please be aware that an N/A is slow in comparison to many cars, well at least in a straight line. Get 'em in the twisties and you'll have fun all day.

If you have a little extra cash each month and are willing/ capable of doing most of the work, jump in one and you'll never regret it. Just research the model extensively and possibly see if there are any rennlisters in your area that vcould give you a test ride. There is a reason why Porsche had the slogan "....There is no substitute..." drive one and you'll understand!!!

Good Luck!!

Clint
Old 04-30-2005, 09:37 PM
icat
Race Car

The cars are no easier or more difficult to maintain than any other car. They have their quirks, but you remove a bolt and pull off a part just like any other car on the road. The main difference is location - it's pretty tight in the engine bay and many of the parts are hard to reach. There are items that CAN NOT be over looked as to regularly scheduled maintenance - the belts are one of those items. Budget to change them every 30 to 45k miles or 3 years, which ever comes first. Never, ever, drive a 944 series car unless you know when the last belt change was done. There are far too many stories of "new" owners who have had a belt go within the first month of ownership. These are interference engines, and when the belt goes so does your wallet. Pistons, valves, head job...
As to reliable - well that depends on your definition of reliable. The early cars are 22 years old. The newest cars are 15 years old. My definition of "reliable" does not include cars older than 4 years old or cars with over 100k miles (actually I start wondering about a car when it hits 80k). Now, keep in mind that I have a job where my work is 35 miles from the house and I feel obligated to be there on time every day. Add to that the fact that I live in Texas and it gets rather warm during the summer, now I'm concerned about comfort on my daily drive as well. Here again, a 15 plus year old car just doesn't fit my definition. However, if your daily commute is a couple of miles then your definition will vary greatly from mine.
Part costs can be high. These cars were not made in great numbers compared to a Honda Civic, but for a Porsche they are pretty common. Still, aftermarket companies have not flooded the market with alternatives to the Porsche dealers parts counter - and they're pretty proud of their stuff.
Gas mileage is great. But premium gas is expensive, so you lose some of the benefit. Expect to get in the mid to upper 20's on miles per gallon. But running anything less than premium will lower the performance.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:51 PM
my84-944
Racer

Icat right on the button:
Never, ever, drive a 944 series car unless you know when the last belt change was done. There are far too many stories of "new" owners who have had a belt go within the first month of ownership. These are interference engines, and when the belt goes so does your wallet. Pistons, valves, head job...
Ask me how I know this is true.
Even so I still love the damn thing and so will you. Just check the belts.

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2005, 11:41 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

you might want to private message perry951 or horsepowerfarm. they have a couple nice ones and would be good candidates for a first time owner to get your feet wet -- by pissing yourself.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:10 AM
Schmohey
AutoX

By belts, do you mean the timing belt? Why do they "die" so fast?

For the NA, 951 (Turbo?), S, and S2, what are some difference between them? Only thing I can across was that the S2 has a facelift with better brakes and suspension? The NA has the least hp, and the rest has more.

When you mentioned that the NA was slow, how slow? Can I keep up with traffic?

What would be the typical price range for these vehicles? Of course, the newer the expensive it gets, but I saw an 85 for 5000+...

Besides parts being expensive, are they plentiful? By expensive, can you give me an example?

Thanks for answering all my questions.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:23 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Belts usually need done every 30-50K miles. Just a big item. If those go to crap, you are in a world of sheite.

NA is base but the last of the NAs in early 90s had a modest horsewpower improvement over the initial ones. I dont have the numbers in front of me, but the first NAs in 83 were like 146hp and they ended up around 168 before it was all said and done.

S model is about 188hp I think. I think its a 16-valve like the S2.

S2 is basically a Turbo with the 16-valve engine instead of 4-cylinder and turbocharger. S2 has the turbo brakes, front and rear valences, suspension, on and on. About 208hp.

Turbo has 217hp. Turbo engine otherwise pretty much same car as S2. Pretty easy to add another 100 horses without spending much cash on Turbo.

Turbo S 247hp. I think all Turbo Ss had the M030 suspension package but I cant swear to it. Maybe a little tweak to the engine. Other than rims you cant a Turbo and an Turbo S apart.

Rough estimate:

944NAs ran several years. You could pay anywhere from $2500-7500 depending on year and condition.

944S - add $400 to the car

S2 - Id say $8000-13000

Turbo - $8000-17000

Turbo S - add $400 to Turbo

Hard to give value because there are old cars with 275,000 miles on them here, and late models with 14,000 miles on them. So it all depends on what you are looking for.

NAs will def. keep up in traffic. Great handlers. Newer RSXs and stuff are just more modern and can run with you though. You cant let the crest on the hood lead you to believe you are driving a 996 Twin Turbos little brother. Utter joy however in any 944 series. They feel faster than they are. And some really are fast.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the timing belt. they are designed to last 30k miles, with a tension at every 10K.

The turbo has nearly 100 more HP than the NA, and I'm not sure the S2's power compared to either.

The NA is slow, you CAN keep up with traffic, but not the 924S ... Anyway, the 944 NA is not known for it's acceleration, but for it's handling. In a drag race, it cannot beat a slightly modded Honda civic. But, when it comes to Cornering, it's one of the best out there, despite it's age.

That 85 for $5,000.00+, if it were perfectly maintained, had all records from purchase, recent belts done, and all service to date, with low mileage (50K about) then I'd feel better paying that much for it.

Parts, lets see... For a typical front of engine service (seals, water pump, belts, etc.) which is reccomended as soon as you pick it up, parts will cost around $400+... Labor, around the same, so consider $1,000.00 for that front of engine service (Like I said, make sure it's been done recently. if no records of it being done, DO IT IMMEDIATELY.)

Remember, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche. good luck!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Schmohey
AutoX

The timing belt on these engines, based on your experience, do you do it yourself or let someone else do it?

I'm wondering whether the front of the early and late 944s are interchangeable? The late 944 has the fog lights without the black rubber showing.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you? If you know to turn wrenches well, go for it with the belts. if all you've done is an oil change, it's iffy. If you're idea of wrenching on a car is taking it to "Jiffy Lube", Run.

The turbo/S2 nose is NOT interchangable with that of the N/A...very easily. To do this properly, you need front fenders, a turbo bumper, headlight lids, nose panel, and all supporting hardware.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Schmohey
AutoX

I can take apart most things on my car including changing belts (not timing belt though), radiator, water pump, alternator, shocks, brakes, etc...

I'm afraid I'll miss a mark on the belt and cause the car to not work...

Are there enough room to work on these cars?
Old 05-02-2005, 10:20 PM
SDGuy
Instructor

I can take apart most things on my car including changing belts (not timing belt though), radiator, water pump, alternator, shocks, brakes, etc...
Me too. I just can't put them back on

Quick Reply: Question about the 944