Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

These cars seem to bring out the worst in others.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:21 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default These cars seem to bring out the worst in others.

no flame, but it always seems to be the youngins'. Honda's, Mustang's, Camaro's, and the pick-ups with NASCAR numbers. Here's what happened today.

I've got to drive my 7-year old to baseball practice and the field is about a mile away. I haven't driven the p-car in about a week and decide i'll take it and go the long way, on the backroads the extra 2 or 3 miles to the field. I figure its a nice day for the top out and the car will have a chance to get up to temperature.

I pull away from the house onto the main road and have to go about 1500 feet before I turn on the back road, its friday rush hour and in the distance is a pick-up waiting to turn the same way I am. He's waiting to turn as I approach and as I come up behind he has a chance to go. I guess he sees the 944 approaching and makes the turn and takes off fast. I turn, normal speed, and am grateful that he's running ahead as the backroad drive to the ballfield will not be confined to a 4 mile crawl behind a mini-van.

I'm driving well behind, but i'm increasing speed. I can tell by how he's driving that he and his pick up have something to prove. I cant catch him and he is well ahead, but I am driving fast and he can see me in his mirror. He's using both lanes to enter turns and braking hard, I am not. I'm driving fast, but i'm in my lane.

He comes up on a car driving below the limit. The road is posted 45 MPH. He blows by the car. I do not. I slow down and stay behind the car. I cant see him anymore. Moments later I come over a rise and see the flashing lights of a police cruiser ahead. He has just pulled from cover and is speeding down the road. Then the cruiser jams its brakes and pulls off the road into a driveway. As I approach, still behind the other car, the cop has sprung from his car, pistol drawn and leveled, and the young man in the pick-up has his hands interlocked behind his head and is backing up towards the officer.

As I drive by, I see the guy catch a glimpse of the red porsche out of the corner of his eye - definately not going to be a good day for him and he was probably arrested.

I felt a little sorry for him. At no time did I provoke him. He saw that badge approach in his rear view mirror and decided he was going to race - himself.
what a waste.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:30 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you seriously think that he did all that because of your 944?? People don't get pistols drown on them because they speed and pass cars, maybe he was drunk/drugged/driving in a stolen car....
worst assumption evar.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:36 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Russian Rocket
Do you seriously think that he did all that because of your 944??
yep, or else I would not have wasted the bandwidth.
you will get a pistol drawn on you for speeding like he was, where he was.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta agree with RR on this.

I do have to say though I have been stopped before and the cop had his pistol drawn, that is out of the holster and ready, when he approached the car. I must also point out in that case that it was mistaken identity and they let me go with an apology.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:41 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

i was driving down the road the other day, speed limit, coming up along side a guy in a mustang. as i appoach - he's gotta pull his nose over in my lane a few times. then come the engine revs as we're waitng for the light to change.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know what you're talking about, I just had a hard time believing Dumb F in the truck was hauling the way you describe because of your car, AND wildly enough to get a pistol drawn on him.

My favorite is when I am cruising down the highway, speeding or not, and get some dingleberry tailgating me in the left lane. So I'll pull over in the right lane to let them pass, and they'll pull over with me. WTF, do they think just because I'm in a Porsche I'm hauling ***? And even if I am why the F do they need to glue themselves to my bumper?

Last edited by Manning; 04-29-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:52 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I think some of this behavior is due to the winning Porsche legacy in racing. Some people are driving around with an inferiority complex....

Trending Topics

Old 04-29-2005, 11:01 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

That's all the point I'm making - these cars provoke some. I'm not sure if its because it is a 944 and not one of the more formidable p-cars. it's almost as if the 924 and 944 are perceived as being "beatable," and to beat one somehow empowers those who dont drive them. "Hey, I just smoked that porsch." I try hard not to get sucked in.

I truly believe that dumb kid today had to impress himself when I approached, and it was all about beating the porsch.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

I'm sure that's it.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:25 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fezz, MikeC--
You are right! I've had (ethnic) punks lob objects over a lane of traffic at a stop light because they could not outsmart me through lane changes, in an attempt to damage my car. Whatever it was fell about one foot from a car on the other side of the median of the opposite side of the road.
Our 18 yo cars still draw ignorance and jealousey from 90% of the cars on the road today, a complement and a PITA.
Alright group, repeat after me--Porshce, verry nice!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 PM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I always park at the end of a parking lot or four to five spaces out from the last car, just to avoid door dings. With all my normal cars, there is never another car close to me when I come back. With the Porsche, there is always some big Chevy or Ford truck squeezed in extra close to me. If I have to park next to some old POS, I usually quickly memorize license plate numbers.

Unfortunately, lunkheads racing around in old trucks don't tend to be terribly sophisticated. They don't realize that most modern American iron is ****.
Autos are perceived as status symbols by many and people are quick to judge others that they know nothing about. I get a lot of hicks in their old beaters wanting to race, trying to prove that America's still the king. Sometimes I bite, but only if I feel it's safe enough. Probably not the smartest thing to do in these cases, but sometimes it's hard not to.

_______
Pat
86 944
Old 04-29-2005, 11:34 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Rocket
Do you seriously think that he did all that because of your 944?? People don't get pistols drown on them because they speed and pass cars, maybe he was drunk/drugged/driving in a stolen car....
worst assumption evar.
Hey Fezz, they just dont know these 'Barney Fife' type Carolina Cops
My son has had the locals literally follow him around waiting for him to make a mistake, and I have seen 3 cops with lights flashing pull over a kid with a tail light out. I could tell you stories all day about the stuff our locals pull.
Another good one was a few years back where the police shot a guys dog cuz they saw movement in the bushes
Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i was coming home from a wedding one nite in the 44, i had a couple drinks earlier but was ok to drive. ANyways, i wasnt looking for a race. This stang pulls up on the hiway and is weaving and reving it all up trying to race, he bugged me till a camaro rolled past us then he was gone after him...damn testosterone...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He may have tried to outrun the cop for short bit, and then pulled in a driveway to try to hide.. That may be the reason the cop had a gun drawn, because he didn't know the motive, or mindset of the individual. Not that farfetched...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

i complained to my wife that with the red S2 i would get honked at by the mommy on the phone in the minivan behind me the moment the light turned green. she laughed atme till she took the car for errands one day.

I dont get honked with the GTO, didnt get honked with the Z28 or any other car i owned. i think it was the PORSCHE decal on the rear.

Quick Reply: These cars seem to bring out the worst in others.