Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Template to cut rear timing belt cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 02:41 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Template to cut rear timing belt cover?

Does anyone know if there is a template to modify the rear timing belt cover to the updated water pumps?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, there is a template. Its just a upper and lower template that you print out (resizing it to basicly fit inside the back cover), and mark for cutout, everything in between the two part template. Heres pics of them, I think you should be able to resize these, and use for templates if you want. I made a set of templates out of heavy cardboard some time back, and have used those a few times.
Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2005, 10:50 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2005, 02:48 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Ok, Ok, everyone asks one and I'm resisting the urge. What's this do/go to/affect?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibkevin
Ok, Ok, everyone asks one and I'm resisting the urge. What's this do/go to/affect?
It allows you to use the late style waterpump with the belt guard on it.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:00 PM
signjoe
Intermediate

Fantastic!!!!
I'm in the process of restoring my '83 n/a and I got the newer waterpump (brand new from ebay) and I was a bit puzzled by the beltguard- now this post has sorted that out! This place is great and I don't think I'd be able to keep up the enthusiasm to do the car without all the information I find on these boards.
Thanks
Joe
Old 04-29-2005, 08:09 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Thanks Azn, if my 83' ever goes I'll have the templates!

Signjoe, I love to hear how Rennlist has helped yet another Porsche owner out of a jam. Ever considered a membership?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by signjoe
Fantastic!!!!
I'm in the process of restoring my '83 n/a and I got the newer waterpump (brand new from ebay) and I was a bit puzzled by the beltguard- now this post has sorted that out! This place is great and I don't think I'd be able to keep up the enthusiasm to do the car without all the information I find on these boards.
Thanks
Joe
You should join rennlist as a member!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

True enough Signjoe. Back when I first bought my car (well sonny, it was back in 88....) there was no such support. Luckily, a local Porsche garage was willing to give advice to one of the few DIY people they ever encountered. They were absolutely amazed when I brought the car in for a tech inspection after putting a new clutch in. They had seen several failed attempts by people who had done clutches on the 'normal' American car layout. They even had a few cars come in from other non-Porsche shops that screwed them up when trying to do a clutch.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:20 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

If you are in there you might want to do this as well. It allows you to remove and replace the H2O pump without having to pull the crank and balance shaft sprockets to get the rear timing cover off. A much quicker alternative!
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

signjoe, and anyone else for that matter. In my opinion, its obvious that Rennlist is a great place to be. Great source of info, commradrie, ect...ect....OH... and don't forget the best adminstrator and moderators a discussion board could EVER hope for! (thats got to be good for at least one brownie point....eh? )

Join when your ready, and your conscience starts telling you that you should. Thats all that I think is what anyone could really ask for. Some see it real quick, and do so quick, some are not sure, cheap, or just not flush with money. However, the money issue (at least for me) is hard to swallow, considering all the money that is being saved by being here in the first place, and even harder when one posts about ANY and all the upgrades/goodies/bling-bling they may have just put on there car time after time, without becoming a full fledged paying member. My belief is, (as others) support those that support you. Follow your conscience. People here are not fools. They generally see thru the BS. Your doing just fine as far as I am concerned at this point.

I don't know if this is mentioned in the "new to Rennlist" posting, but, I think everyone should have a few things in their possession if they are serious about having and owning one of these cars. That is 1: Paid Rennlist membership 2: Copy of the FSM for the 944, and should even consider the one for the 924 (if your working with the earlies in particular). 3: Know where Clark's garage is, and refer to it often. 4: A subscription to ALLDATA.com, and print out, or keep access to every service bulletin written regarding your car. Its a huge source of info, and very, very much worth the price of that subsciption also....just like Rennlist. I've rambled enough..........Have fun!

Quick Reply: Template to cut rear timing belt cover?