Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sort of OT: Boxster or Sportbike??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:33 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget the Boxster, that thing is a piece of junk.

Get the R6 instead especially if your looking for a monster bike. I used to drive that thing like it had an SMG transmission.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Whorepedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by wombat7
What?? I want a bike to have something fun to cruise up and down the beach and to go blasting through the twisties... I don't know where you got that I wanted the bike just to putz around on. I will be in the pan handle of FL so I will be close enough to go to Georgia or SC nd cruise through the mountains...

Then come on up sometime and ill show ya around the NC mountains.

everything in the panhandle of FL is flat and twisty-less. thats why i recommended the FZ1. Its comfortable for riding around flatlands (FL) but still very capable in the mountains. i wasnt accusing you of only putzing around town... just saying if thats all youre going to do you should get a bike thats more comfortable and not worry about a sportbike. an SV650 or FZ1 would both be perfect for what it sounds like youll be riding.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Well, before I get on a motorcycle I remember that I want to continue living. No offense to sport bike enthusiasts, but it is very dangerous.

I say get the Boxster S.
Life is dangerous. Get the bike.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:51 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I definately want to do more than just putz around town. I'll come up to NC and ride around the mountains with you hehe after I get comfortable on the bike. Right now I've read nothing but positive things about the R6 and I thin that's what I'm leaning towards.. not the quickest bike out there.. but quick enough to have some fun on... It also helps that it is the bike that I've had my eye on since high school when I first got interested in motorcycles..
Old 05-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Whorepedo
Instructor

i had an R6 and selling it was the biggest "vehicle" mistake ive ever made. they are awesome bikes and the new Fuel Injected versions are suppose to be even better. they just fall into corners with ease. you can take them to the mountains and hang with any liter bike, and the same goes for most of the tracks around here... except RA and Barber.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Dieder
Advanced

watch out for the bike....
they are very dangerous!!

I woke up just last night in a cold sweat with a clenched right fist and a twitchy left toe. (MY fault I didnt ride yesterday)

I "rewarded" myself after highschool with a Kawi 500 I bought with change I found in my couch....

yada yada yada

6 years later, I just sold my 5th bike today and am shopping for my 7th.

Oh yeah I also now work at the local Honda Suzuki and Yamaha dealership now to support my addiction.

There is NOTHING that comes close in my 23 years on this earth to the feeling of being on 2 wheels. Does not matter what you are riding or how you are riding it. Fast, slow, on one wheel, draging your knee, or even just doing 30mph smelling the fresh cut grass.

Its not for everyone, there are those who say that motorcycling in itself is too dangerous, that is not the case. I would guess 90% of the people who tell me that have never ridden. Riding a motorcycle is all about taking calculated risks, but so is getting out of bed. You just have to ask yourself if you want to take those risks, and do everything in your power to minimize them.

MSF (motorcycle saftey foundation) classes, full gear and a proper respect for the bike and the cars around you is a must.

Pick up the book "Proficient Motorcycling" any motorcyclist new or old can learn alot from reading that book.

Feel free to drop me an email if you have ANY questions.
I hope you decide to join me on two wheels!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:02 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I thin I've finally made my decision. I am going to get a Yamaha R6. I just think I will enjoy the bike a little more. Ever since I've started thinking about getting a bike I've had this exciting feeling in my stomach that I don't think is going to go away until I get a bike. I loved the feeling I got while riding my dirt bike through the woods of NW Pennsylvania and now I WANT THAT FEELING BACK... Thanks so much for all the input that you guys gave me!!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:05 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully I'll be in the same position in a year. I've wanted a bike for close to a year now, and after riding one for the first time recently, that made the desire even stronger.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:34 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forget the rice, just say Ducati. You are an engineer, aren't you?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:18 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

HAHA I would love to get a Ducati, but not as a first bike... and while I'm an engineer, I am an Air Force engineer so I'm not going to be making very much for the first 4 years out of college. Maybe after I get a my loans paid off I will switch to a Ducati, but for now I think I'm just gonna stick with the Jap bikes...
Old 05-02-2005, 09:48 PM
944driver
Advanced

I've been riding my EX500 for about 2 years (15K miles). First of all do the research, spend the extra couple of hundred dollars and get the right gear. I have to agree with some of the advice I've seen on this thread (take the MSF Course & get a used starter bike). I have had some close calls but have never been down. I don't do tricks (wheelies, stopies) or street race, however, on a open road with no car traffic, I'll touch 110 (indicated) every now and then. As time goes on you will notice that you take turns faster, lean more (I have not dragged a knee yet), brake later and just ride faster. Your personal zoom factor will increase as your skills get better and you get used to the bike. My bike is capable of high 12 second quarter miles. Slow by todays sport bike standards but quick enough for me. The current 600's are so much faster than my bike, it is amazing what an extra 100cc's can produce. My wife was even going to let me upgrade to a used Ducati SS900, but I decided that I always wanted a Porsche so I got the 944 instead. Good luck with your choice and keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2005, 10:24 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wombat7
HAHA I would love to get a Ducati, but not as a first bike... and while I'm an engineer, I am an Air Force engineer so I'm not going to be making very much for the first 4 years out of college. Maybe after I get a my loans paid off I will switch to a Ducati, but for now I think I'm just gonna stick with the Jap bikes...
Buy a used 900ss '93 to '95 cheap to buy and elegant. Well suspended, big torque, moderate horsepower and fabulous brakes. The best $3500 to $4000 you will ever spend. If you are an engineer, I believe my dumb *** can teach you how to set the valves by email!
Old 05-02-2005, 11:04 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

haha thanks hpfarm...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:36 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Wow the Ducati actually seems like a better starter bike than the R6... hm.... now you got me thinking again... DAMN YOU horsepowerfarm!! lol... Anyone on here have experience with the Ducatti??
Old 05-02-2005, 11:49 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Now you're screwed, you will be forever seduced by that **** named Ducati. I have been riding them since 1973. I can't help it any more.

Quick Reply: Sort of OT: Boxster or Sportbike??