Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sort of OT: Boxster or Sportbike??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:08 AM
944driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't find a Duc, and you really want a V-Twin sport bike, I think either a used Buell Firebolt or Lightning make an excellent 2nd choice. I don't think Ducati is sold in Indiana anymore, but you know there are plenty of Harley/Buell Dealers here.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:11 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I absolutely HATE the look of a Buell. I'm originally from PA so I can have my parents look there for me, and you can always find them on e-bay...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:46 AM
944driver
Advanced

Yup, the styling of the Buells is totally different. Most people either love them or hate them. Personally, I really like the Firebolt. It's a blast to ride, the stock suspension components are second to none also and is resonably comfortable . Nevertheless, whichever choice you make, good luck and enjoy.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:51 AM
pikey7
Drifting

run away! Buell has lousy engines, lousy gearboxes, bad dynamics, absolutely rubbish fit & finish, and are so small, they should have 100cc engines in them (some say it feels like they have!).

Buy a real bike........

..... like a Duke!

lets be honest here, you're looking at used right? BUY FROM A DEALER. Dukes are great bikes. Everything a Buell is not in fact, but they are Italian. That means Lousy electronics, and EXPENSIVO when things go wrong. Make sure it's got a service history, and if it hasn't get a full checkover by the dealer. Yes they can be easy to work on, but they can also be frustrating as hell when it won't start in the pub car park, even though it ran fine all the way there.....
Old 05-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Whorepedo
Instructor

used Ducati's arent too expensive to buy, but the maintenance is astronomical. i would say its similar to a Porsche, but worse. they have Desmo cylinder heads and only Ducati mechanics can work on them. average valve job is between $700-1000 and Ducati recommends a valve job every 6000 miles (i think?!?, it could be every 9000). AND, like anything else Italian, theyre generally very high maintenance. make sure you look at maintenance costs when considering your purchase.

not to mention a stock R6 should walk all over a 900SS with equal riders.

if youre interested in a twin without the high maintenance, look at a TLR, TLS or RC51. i LOVE my TLR!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:43 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whorepedo
used Ducati's arent too expensive to buy, but the maintenance is astronomical. i would say its similar to a Porsche, but worse. they have Desmo cylinder heads and only Ducati mechanics can work on them. average valve job is between $700-1000 and Ducati recommends a valve job every 6000 miles (i think?!?, it could be every 9000). AND, like anything else Italian, theyre generally very high maintenance. make sure you look at maintenance costs when considering your purchase.

not to mention a stock R6 should walk all over a 900SS with equal riders.

if youre interested in a twin without the high maintenance, look at a TLR, TLS or RC51. i LOVE my TLR!
Cough.....BS, to all the above but the R6 comment.

It is not a valve job it is a valve adjustment. I am a Ducati owner and not a Ducati mechanic. I only have been riding Ducatis since 1973. It is absurd for you to perpetuate the myth that the only person on the planet that can read a feeler gauge and be able to add and subtract can only be a Ducati mechanic.

Oh, I'm still scratching my head as to why the guy on the TL lowsided right in front of me on Skaggs Springs Road, what's with that? I was just riding my 12 year old Ducati.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:32 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

One of the reasons why the TL lowsided may be for the same reason the 88 930 spun out in front of my 84 944 n/a after I lapped him at Willow Springs. The driver sucked and didn't deserve to own that car. Riders, just like drivers, make all the difference in the world. Most people who ride don't know how to even get 50 percent out of their bikes. I know I am not skilled enough on a bike unless its in a straight line acceleration which I practiced at the dragstrip.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Whorepedo
Instructor

Originally Posted by horsepowerfarm
Cough.....BS, to all the above but the R6 comment.

It is not a valve job it is a valve adjustment. I am a Ducati owner and not a Ducati mechanic. I only have been riding Ducatis since 1973. It is absurd for you to perpetuate the myth that the only person on the planet that can read a feeler gauge and be able to add and subtract can only be a Ducati mechanic.

Oh, I'm still scratching my head as to why the guy on the TL lowsided right in front of me on Skaggs Springs Road, what's with that? I was just riding my 12 year old Ducati.
ive never owned a Ducati, only going by the research i did while considering purchasing a 748. the valve job (adjustment, whatever) was due and was going to cost just under $800 from The DucShop in Atlanta. call it bull**** if you like but thats what they told me on the phone.

as far as the TL comment goes... youve been riding for how long??? and youve never seen a squid on a bike that he didnt need to be on?? talk about bull****?!?! i guess that same squid wouldnt of lowsided if he'd of been riding an almighty (read: overpriced, underpowered) Ducati.

Quick Reply: Sort of OT: Boxster or Sportbike??