Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sort of OT: Boxster or Sportbike??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 02:23 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will tell you to keep the 944 and get a bike. I have had a bike since I was 15 1/2. I love riding motorcycles but I only ride 2 strokes. Much easier to work on and are faster then 4 strokes.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:46 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess, we're taking this way OT now....

I use a 'pathBlazer' headlight modulator -- it was around $160, and linked to a pair of 80w/80w PIAA "super white" bulbs (at $45 times 2). The modulator seems to cause the bulbs to blow out much more frequently, too. I'm sure there are cheaper solutions but it's still worth every damn penny! Drivers definitely notice me more. Highly highly highly recommended!

As for the exhaust, I went to a bike dealer and we lined up four bikes with various exhausts and I looked for one that was the quietest (anyone can get loud when you rev). To be honest, I think stock might actually have been the quietest, but Yoshimura does some good job keeping things civil. I'm not an expert -- I just asked the shop to help me out.

As for the fit of a bike -- that depends on the person and how you ride. A friend of mine rides a R6, and she can't put her feet down on my 6R (she's only like 5'6"). I'm 5'10" and I like the ZX6R just fine for the comfort (more upright) -- it's my daily commuter. Most people prefer R6 -- which is probably fine for the weekenders. I also like doing long days (LA<->SF) and I can't imagine doing that all hunched over in a R6 -- but I haven't put extensive time on them. Even on my 6R, I feel the need to stretch every hour and a half or so.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:10 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Having been a rider for 21 years (being 5' 6", owned and ridden everything from the CBX 6 cylinder 1300cc beast to currently the GSXR 1100 in my avatar), I believe there are only 2 types of riders: Ones who have fallen and ones who are going to fall. Bikes are dangerous, period even if you are an experienced rider. If you can be satisfied with a boxster, get it. This is the advice I would give to anyone who I care about. If you are like me (willing to die to ride and cannot do without riding - even after 48 stitches on my forehead and being hit by a wreckless driver from the 200k miles of city/highway riding), then you should get a bike and get all the instructions you can from safety courses. My opinion is, if you love the boxster, buy it. Otherwise, get an older 600 or small bike and ride it for a year and sell it to upgrade. Most fatalities on bikes happen within the first 6 months of riding so be EXTRA careful if you choose the bike route.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my bike in February of '04, took the MSF course, and rode about 5.5k miles in 1 year, and I feel really comfortable with my skills. Or, I did with my bike anyways. I think I would be comfortable moving to a sport bike now, but the memories pull pretty hard the other way too...

[hijack]
Man, this thread really makes me want my Shadow back...sigh.

[/hijack]
Old 04-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. I ride regularly around here because (1) you can legally split lanes, so traffic is a complete non-issue on a bike, (2) 40 mpg without trying, (3) park virtually anywhere, (4) fun. The downside is pretty much what you'd expect - idiots in SUVs with their thumbs up their asses and digging under the seat for that piece of paper with so-and-so's phone number on it while drifting back and forth across lanes obliviously. You absolutely have to ride like you're invisible - because you are.

A lot of the decision would be climate-based too. If you stayed in Indiana, I'd say you're insane to get a bike. You'd get to enjoy it maybe three months out of the year. In a climate like here, they're fantastic but for the self-preservation issues that have been mentioned.

If you can afford the Boxster, get it. I'd love to get my hands on a post-'02 "S" at some point. Probably in a couple of years when the prices get a little more affordable.

If you're still looking for a bike in a few months, let me know. I'm weighing selling my '99 Katana 750 when it's paid off because as much as I love not ever having to deal with L.A. Friday traffic and always having a guaranteed parking spot when I get home from driving the car, I kind of like the though of living past age 40 too. . .
Old 04-29-2005, 09:25 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I will only get the bike if I end up getting stationed in Florida, which right now looks like where I am going, or where I want to be at least. I really miss all the fun that I had riding dirtbikes as a kid, just the feel riding a bike. But I also think a Boxster would be an awesome ride. I get to drive a Boxster S in the near future as someone from another forum is going to drive over and let me try it out. We'll see how I feel after that.

This is such a tough decision though... AHHHH... I've wanted a bike since my junior year of high school, but my parents have always said no. And now that I'm getting ready to get out of college they are all for getting a bike. My dad is actually excited because he thinks that if I get one it will give him an excuse to get one and come down to FL to ride with me... but you can only ride a bike in good weather where all you have to do is put the top up on the Box....

40 mpg definately sounds nice... especially since gas has now climbed over $2.00 a gallon here in Indiana. I mean the 22-25 that I get in my 944 driving around here is a lot nicer than the 14-16 my friends with S2000s and RX-7s are getting and they have to run premium which is more like $2.30 or so....

Have any of you ever tracked your bikes?? I've been lurking on some bike forums and they sound as addicted to track days as all of us are...

Porsche-O-Phile - I'll definately keep you posted... but Long Beach to Indiana would be a hell of a first ride since I don't have a truck to tow the bike back here...

Thanks for all the info guys and definately keep it coming...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have tracked on a dragstrip but not road race courses. Its something to go from 0 to 125+ in a quarter mile on 2 wheels. That was back in the days with a stock 88 katana 600 with jetted carbs and pipe. The biggest difference between a car and bike is if you slide off the track, you may feel aches and pains for the rest of your life if you still have all your body parts intact. I am fortunate to have not fallen while on the strip. Also, they have an ambulance right there at the track.

Long bike rides are fun if you take your time and stop off to enjoy the ride. I rode from LA to SF non stop (other than the gas stop and 2 tickets) back in 1992. On that first generation zx600 ninja, my arms start to get numb after 2 hours. Buying a truck here, haul bike back, and sell truck for a profit to cover expenses would be good if you can make it work.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That's actually why I like the Katana (or the Bandit) more than the crotch rockets like the GSX-R - the comfort difference is considerable. I've ridden my Katana from L.A. to Mammoth (about a 6-hour jaunt) and yes, I was a little tired, but it wasn't intolerable since your posture is a little more upright than on a true crotch rocket. I also got the touring seat with the extra padding (about a $200 accessory) instead of the poor excuse for a seat the bike comes with stock. What a difference!
Old 04-29-2005, 11:51 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

$2.00 per gallon -- that's cheap! Just about touching $3.00 per gallon out here in Cali....

There are a couple of groups that organizes track days near me -- I've taken my bike to Streets of Willow a couple of times. I'm in the slow group, but it's still very fun stuff, and a learning experience -- better rider generally means safer (unless you let it get it to your head). You're talking more gear at that point, though (like full leather).

As for long rides, you can get do a couple of things to make life easier -- I got an aftermarket seat and a throttle lock (basically cruise control) -- helps only a little bit... Adding saddle bags and a tank bag so you don't have to carry a backpack helps too.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wombat, I'm thinking the same thing for my graduation in May of 2006. I was gonna get myself 2 grad presents, a Suzuki GSX-R 600 and a Porsche 951...

Good luck and congratulations! What engineering school you going to? I was accepted into Kettering University in Flint, Michigan, but decided engineering wasn't my game.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:58 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My back starts to hurt after about an hour of so of striaght hard riding. I have aftermarket bars that come up higher. I am used to riding with drag bars. I would go old school and get a real bike. One with a 2 stroke motor.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 PM
Whorepedo
Instructor

get a Boxster. Sportbikes are a dime/dozen. you can always get one. hell, in the last year ive been through 4. (CBR600, R6, EX, TLR)

besides, if youve never ridden a motorcycle you dont need to be jumping on a brand new one anyway. thats a quick ticket to a casket. remember bikes arent as forgiving and protective as cars. start small and move your way up slowly. EX500, pre 1998 CBR600's, SV650, GS500 - all great starter bikes that wont cost more than $3k if you look hard enough.

another point... i PROMISE you, you WILL drop your bike the first year. its a given. the people that say they wont are usually the first ones looking for new fairings.

edit: lane splitting is illegal in Florida (im about 99% sure of that). If youre headed to Eglin or Tyndall bikes are plentiful. Guys are shipping out left and right and dont want to take a motorcycle with them. great deals if you look around!!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:32 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

Porschephile - I'm at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology... I would definately try out a GSX-R 600 before you decide to get one. I loved them until I sat one and absolutely HATED it.

I can't believe gas is close to $3 a gallon.. that is crazy!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:19 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

I almost went to rose hulman.... my mentor told me I would commit suicide in under a year; living in terra haute. Quite happy where I am!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:22 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Buy a bike. May I suggest though a supermoto instead of a sportsbike. They don't have the top end capabilities to tempt you in the early years of riding, yet they are agile enough, and will teach you a lot on how to control the bike in awkward (or fun!) situation. Plus, KTM orange is dead cool! If you buy used, make sure of it's condition first though (It could have been used for god knows what, or even be an ex-motocross bike).

Anyway, Boxster? not a hairdresser are you? (j/k)

Quick Reply: Sort of OT: Boxster or Sportbike??