Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door panel armrest repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:40 PM
gotpsa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door panel armrest repair

When I bought my 85/1, the driver's door armrest was a little loose. All of the screws have now pulled out but it is hanging on by the single point at the top of the panel. Does the armrest remove from the panel or do I need to take the whole door panel off to relese the armrest? Is there a common repair technique to fix the armrest pull?

Thanks,
Ron
85/1 944
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 PM
bigsheldy
Advanced

I have the same problem, I have no idea what you can do about it, but I'd like to find out too.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:05 PM
athens944
Pro

You can remove the armrest but will have to access the bolt from inside the panel. I believe it is held by a 10mm nut. Mine is an '83 so it may differ. I took the window switch w bezel out and used some sort of socket extension. Just realized early 85's should be the same. Shine some light in there it will help.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

There is a strap metal "hook" at the top anchor point of the arm rest. This fits into a hole on the inside door sheetmetal. There are three large sheetmetal screws that go through the bottom of the arm rest into the door sheetmetal. If you are lucky these are still in the map pockets on the door. If not you have to buy some. Take off the three screws at the bottom of the map pocket to remove it and access the three screws on the bottom of the arm rest.

If you ever take off the door panel get a couple of wood screws and washers to come through the back of the door panel to hold the arm rest on. This makes reinstalling the door panel much easier but is NOT the cure for the three missing screws.

The 83
Old 04-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you just put two screws back into the armrest (the ones that fell out), and then have a normal armrest?
Old 04-28-2005, 08:21 PM
gotpsa
Track Day

>Can you just put two screws back into the armrest (the ones that fell out), >and then have a normal armrest?

well, yeah, but that's the easy way

I was sorta looking for if this was a common problem with these cars and if anyone had come up with any methods of reinforcement.

Ron
Old 04-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Door Panel/Armrest Tuning

The hooked arm that wraps over an inside panel can be tightened-up by first removing it, bending it slightly(10 degrees) towards you, or adding a rubber stopper over the arm itself, to eliminate play.

Any tears on the armrest can be patched with spray insulating foam, trimmed-off and covered-up with a piece of fabric, cut in exact dimensions as the repair job. Use a good Toluene-based contact cement the ensure durability from the elements.

The door panel is made of cardboard, breaking and splitting often. Patch them up from inside, with plastic sheets(hobby store), held by duct tape. On the areas where screws need the locking clips- replace the mutilated hole with two pieces of cut/drilled plastic, sandwiched with contact glue. Try it.

Zach
Old 04-28-2005, 09:10 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Had some success using a thick super glue (local hobby shop) soaking the partical paper board to build the holes for the plastic clips back up. You can also buy an accelerator spray to force the superglue (CA) to set fast.

The 83

Quick Reply: door panel armrest repair