Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out my new toy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UDPride
looks like something we dropped on Japan.
Or at least a Japanese car.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Sanborn is a division of Coleman. Maybe you could find a place that sells Coleman compressors and find it there?

Maybe I should buy a few of these at $399 and sell them for a profit
Old 04-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Geo
Race Director

Hmmm....

I'll have to see who sells them here.

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

George/Michelle, just bought an E39 540 Black on Black! So tired of car shopping glad we found something Jennifer liked.

Ordered an M5 body kit and Xenon headlights as well, with the 18" Hammann wheels it should look alright.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
George/Michelle, just bought an E39 540 Black on Black! So tired of car shopping glad we found something Jennifer liked.

Ordered an M5 body kit and Xenon headlights as well, with the 18" Hammann wheels it should look alright.
You hoser! I LOVE that car. I think the E39 is absolutely the most beautiful production BMW ever. Good score Matt. Y'all deserve it.

Michelle, I found nearly as good a deal at Northern Tool. I don't know how I missed it before.

Industrial Air compressor:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...07&R=200311707

Same delivery. Thirty bucks more. I can deal with that. And we have a Northern locally. We need to go there and pick up car dollies anyway.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Geo
Race Director

BTW Matt, we need pix. I wanna see that car.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Ask and ye shall receive
Old 04-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ALRIGHTY!

Your making me jealous. I'm still using a 30 gal single stage in my garage, AND, I don't have permanent power to it yet! (large extension cord....heck, its only been 8 years) I've got the power panel and all the wiring out in the garage, I just need to update my power panel on the house and run a mainline to the subpanel (detached garage). You said your putting it out back. I know these are not as noisy as oilless compressors, but I would definately set it up so its outside of your working area, so as not to have to listen to it when it does run. Just make sure its secure, and well ventilated around it.

Your gonna LOVE that compressor! Good for you! And good luck and have fun with the rebuild!
Old 04-29-2005, 08:30 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelle- it needs a big "Porsche" sticker and flames.. yeah FLAMES!
Wow- now thats a compressor- Holy Schnikes!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanx all! I hope it eases the work on my rebuild

Matt, I'm sooo jealous. I LOVE that car and it's my color! I've been having the hankering for a Bimmer for a while now - just can't afford it with my commute Can't wait to see it.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:49 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

George: That compressor looks nice! What are the numbers on it?
Old 04-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Michelle, we might be able to come out this weekend if you need some help. I am supposed to pick up the car tomorrow, then you can see all the blemishes I have to have fixed.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
George: That compressor looks nice! What are the numbers on it?
The air delivery is the same as yours, which is to say outstanding for a small shop - 13.x@40 psi and 11.x@90 psi

My home compressor has been great, but it doesn't flow enough air for my bead blast cabinet to be effective so I've been wanting a bigger one. Now that my business partner and I have rented a building for our race shop we want to get a compressor that will handle anything we can throw at it. I want to be able to run a dual action sander and other continuous operation tools w/o trouble.

I don't know how large your shop is, but one of the things we are going to do (not immediately, but ASAP) is to run hard lines to varous places around the shop to elimnate as much rubber hose as possible. I just hope we don't run out of space too quickly or we'll have to do it all over again.

Nothing like having air tools. That said, I'm surprised how much I continue to use hand tools for many things. I really like being able to feel some operations. You get a feel for bind in fasteners and stuff when donig things by hand that you lose with air tools. But for a lot of operations, especially when you know the fasteners are in good shape an air ratchet or impact gun can really make a job go so much faster with far less fatigue. In addition to the big honkin' compressor, I have to get a new impact gun. When taking out the gas tank from my totaled G20 (to send it to the shredder) I found out my impact gun was weaker than me with a 12" socket wrench while lying on my back. Not good.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Geo
Race Director

BTW, maybe next year I can meet some of you Chicagoland folks. We're talking about doing the Chicago Marathon next year. Everybody who has done it has loved it.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Geo, if you are going to run hardlines also consider running them for water, get at least one eye wash station (they are cheap and a lot better than losing an eye!). Also remember that commercial or not the hard lines have to be labebled I can get you a lead on the tags you will need.

I have had really good luck with Champion compressors, we run them at almost all the stores and if it can handle that kind of volume your shop should be no problem, I can get you a name there too, might be able to get a good price.

I also agree on hand tools, I still prefer them even when I had the fully equipped shop to work out of. However, there are times when air tools are worth their cost. Everytime I am turning an 1/8th of a turn at a time comes to mind

Quick Reply: Check out my new toy!