Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check out my new toy!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Geo:

I intend to run a hard line from the compressor to an overhead reel in the middle of my carriage house. The garage is an honest-to-god carriage house that's 150 years old. It's big enough to fit 4 cars in and has a loft that can be turned into an apt. I love it. It's much older than the house and has a ton of character. When I sell, I intend to make it the centerpiece of the listing. Funny aside; when we bought the house the real estate agent called it a tear-down!
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Matt:

Alicia's brother is supposed to come this weekend to help install the compressor. I hope to be able to put it to use I'd love to have you out!
Old 04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
Geo:

I intend to run a hard line from the compressor to an overhead reel in the middle of my carriage house. The garage is an honest-to-god carriage house that's 150 years old. It's big enough to fit 4 cars in and has a loft that can be turned into an apt. I love it. It's much older than the house and has a ton of character. When I sell, I intend to make it the centerpiece of the listing. Funny aside; when we bought the house the real estate agent called it a tear-down!
OMG Michelle, that is awesome! I've heard you talk about it before, but never seen a picture of the full thing. My God, that is not unlike what I would build if we ever move!

It's amazing how ignorant agents can be. How did you determing it's older than the house? That's pretty cool.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
Geo, if you are going to run hardlines also consider running them for water, get at least one eye wash station (they are cheap and a lot better than losing an eye!). Also remember that commercial or not the hard lines have to be labebled I can get you a lead on the tags you will need.

I have had really good luck with Champion compressors, we run them at almost all the stores and if it can handle that kind of volume your shop should be no problem, I can get you a name there too, might be able to get a good price.

I also agree on hand tools, I still prefer them even when I had the fully equipped shop to work out of. However, there are times when air tools are worth their cost. Everytime I am turning an 1/8th of a turn at a time comes to mind
Good point on the labels Matt. That's all we'd need - the landlord sending someone in to do some work on the walls or something and have the poor bastard try to undo the lines while they are pressurized and get killed. While it's not likely that 155psi would kill someone, you never know and better safe than sorry.

Good idea on the eye wash station as well. I have a good friend who is in the industrial supply business so I'll see what he can do for me. He's working on getting me an anti-fatigue mat for the work area (office is going to be used for the bead blaster, drill press, oven for powdercoating, etc.). I think he's going to try to scare me up a free one.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:20 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

We had to put a new roof on it last fall and we had a mason redo the chimney. The mason restores old houses in the area and recognized that the siding was from the mid-1800's. I still need to do research to find the exact year.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

deleted

Last edited by 88BlueTSiQuest; 05-06-2005 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Yet another useful post, without proper funding.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can muffle just about any compressor and while an industrial might be noisey they dont run for long (30 seconds tops). You WILL **** off your neighbors running an industrial compressor at midnight
Old 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

l f

Last edited by 88BlueTSiQuest; 05-06-2005 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Not alone to post, according to 'members'
Old 04-29-2005, 06:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
George/Michelle, just bought an E39 540 Black on Black! So tired of car shopping glad we found something Jennifer liked.

Ordered an M5 body kit and Xenon headlights as well, with the 18" Hammann wheels it should look alright.

Hey me too.
Except mine was 530 E39 Metallic black on tan with sport & xenon's No pics yet.

As for my compressor I have a husky one with 30 gal tank. Works fine for my use. It is actually bit funny. Enventhough I do all my own work on my 944-spe car and have done 2 engine rebuilds in last 6 months and still use hand tools 85% of the time. Last night I was working on motor mounts for my 84 and never touched the compressor. Inspite of that the air compressor is worth its weight in gold (ok silver) for some jobs, Flywheel bolts and crank girddle removal come to mind.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:56 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

The compressor is not going outside. There is a small room in the back of the carriage house that I'll be placing it into. Geo, here's a pic of the length of the carriage house.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
Hey me too.
Except mine was 530 E39 Metallic black on tan with sport & xenon's No pics yet.
Hey, post pix when you get them. The 530i is supposed to be more of the driver's car. Despite the higher power of the 540i, the 530i is supposed to have better balance and better steering (rack & pinion vs recirculating ball in the 540). Both are great cars though.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MichelleJD
The compressor is not going outside. There is a small room in the back of the carriage house that I'll be placing it into. Geo, here's a pic of the length of the carriage house.

OMG, it even has upstairs OS doors! Totally awesome. I love it. That's very very much like what I would/will have built if we ever move. I can't believe the idiot agent called it a "tear down." So glad you didn't. Wow.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:44 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Michelle, I'm jealous! I WANT AN AIR COMPRESSOR! And with toys, you should have a few more coming FedEx in a couple days.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:32 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you get a paint gun, be sure to plumb your compressor correctly and get a filter on it to prevent water from getting to the gun, and make sure your gun doesnt require more CFM at the gun than what your compressor can provide.

my dad has been painting for a bit now, and he bought a gun at sears that requires about 14cfm at the gun, and his compressor will do maybe 10-12, it doesnt lay the paint consistantly, or it may spit and sputter which = bad

he ended up going to harbor freight and buying a gun that only require 9 cfm and viola, when he re sprayed the clear, it went on like glass.

that will have to do until he (my dad) can talk my mum into letting him spend a grand on the compressor he really wants, should push like 20-22cfm.. but until then

have fun with your new toy
Old 04-30-2005, 11:42 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michelle: Nice work, looks like you are going to be busy for a while

May i ask a favour? it would mean a lot to me (and to several rennlisters, i am sure) if you can write down the small details that should be noted when re-building and engine. Things such as the piston ring gaps, the rods facing direction, bearings (both both and main) installation etc....

Quick Reply: Check out my new toy!