Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine out the top + rod bearing carnage

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 01:30 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Actually..... lining up the the engine should be the same either way. If you are going in from the bottom, just lift the engine a bit higher before attempting to line it up, right?
Sheesh - tough crowd. Okay, fine.... but... consider this (assuming no lift); you through-the-bottom-people have to move the engine back under the car. Unless you are "Ahhnawld", you have to use the hoist to move the engine off the stand and back to the front of the car, then use hoist to raise front of car (assuming you lowered it after removing engine - reasonable), then slide said engine under car (freedom of choice here, but nothing short of a roller-board is elegant), then lower car back over engine, then attach hoist to engine - again, then lift engine into position.

Now, consider that my car has not moved from its originally located 18" raised height since day/step one, all I have to do is attach engine to hoist and lower back into car. If nothing else, this paragraph is shorter.

I surrender
Old 04-26-2005, 01:43 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skip
Sheesh - tough crowd.
You know we love you Skip.

I surrender
Wuss.

Over or under, who cares? Just glad to see you engaging back in the game. Have your new engine yet?
Old 04-26-2005, 01:44 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip, could not have said it better!
Thank you!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geo
Have your new engine yet?
Yup, been sitting for a while, but it's in good shape. Get this - I'll be legal again! 88 engine! Guess now I'll have to learn how to drive instead of relying on that whopping 8HP advantage

Needs bearings and a waterpump - should have it back together soon.

We're hoping my old 2.7 will be the base for a 968 TRS clone project. Can't wait!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:19 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip, something tells me that my usual treatment recommendation of "duct tape will fix it" won't work in this case :-)
Old 04-26-2005, 03:31 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Dropping the engine is so easy though... And it can actually be done with 1 person.

Try taking a hood off alone. You're likely to break your windshield. Whatever works best for you guys.

Oh, and an engine hoist is not necessary at all (but it makes it so much easier). 2 jacks, some plywood, and ingenuity will lower your engine without a problem.

Skip, those bearings look NASTY! Good luck with the overhaul.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:39 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Skip, something tells me that my usual treatment recommendation of "duct tape will fix it" won't work in this case :-)
Duct tape, no - but, consider "racing" tape. eh? You're thinking about it, I can tell.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:49 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone with an avatar as yours Skip........well, it just doesn't matter which way or how ya took that engine out....its gotta work out just fine! I DO love that pic!

By the way, those sure are some nice looking bearings ya got there! Ya gonna put 'em on a chain, hang 'em from the rear view mirror? At least, whats left of them? Have fun with the project!
Old 04-26-2005, 03:50 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Serge944
Dropping the engine is so easy though... And it can actually be done with 1 person... ...Oh, and an engine hoist is not necessary at all (but it makes it so much easier). 2 jacks, some plywood, and ingenuity will lower your engine without a problem.
I agree. With only one person, two jacks, some plywood and ingenuity, it should be relatively easy to drop an engine. Be sure to wear steel-toe boots, k.

Sorry to hear about your car, BTW. If you get it back without the engine, be sure to ask the perps how they did it. Okay, I should stop now. Hey, if you can't laugh, might as well cry, right. Now, I'm done. Good luck, Serge!

Try taking a hood off alone. You're likely to break your windshield.
No argument there - I can do it fine now, but I did learn the hard way (not with a 944, though). What I do is stuff folded rags under the corners to prop it up prior to removing the bolts.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, been sitting for a while, but it's in good shape. Get this - I'll be legal again! 88 engine! Guess now I'll have to learn how to drive instead of relying on that whopping 8HP advantage
Well Skip you may have had an 8 hp advantage (really 14), but along with that comes a 20 ftlb torque advantage all across the power band. Don't deny it as I have the dyno charts to prove it.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:05 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Try taking a hood off alone. You're likely to break your windshield.
Ok.. your turn Serge, lets get him

The hood is easy to take off by yourself, now going back on is another story.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Just curious, but how does everybody break their windshield removing the hood?...
I just get a buddy to work on the other side, raise the hood, undo the 4 bolts and lift it out, doesn't ever touch the windshield...

That said, I should have never started the argument on out the top/out the bottom... LOL.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

30 lashes with a wet noodle!!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 12:39 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sorry, guys, gotta disagree about dropping the engine without a hoist. i tried that and it's one of the most dangerous things i've ever done. the engine is not stable and it could easily topple sideways and crush my hands.

if you're going to do a big job, do it correctly. better to spend $250 on a hoist than $25,000 trying to get your four fingers reattached.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I

There, ya happy now - confounded theorists!
By the way I meant "Skip the Guru" in all seriousness. Everyone is talking from personal experiences and since you're so far the only one here who has done it both ways, that should say something.

I was just countering the fact that as counter-intuitive it may seem, and as "dumb" as it may seem, to take it out the bottom -- it really is quite simple.

Here's another pic for ya'll:

Quick Reply: engine out the top + rod bearing carnage