Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Porsche owner with some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:35 PM
bigsheldy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Porsche owner with some Q's

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1984 944 NA. It cost me $2150 and it's a fixer-upper. It runs pretty good, and I'm going to use it as my daily driver, but it has a few flaws. I've been reading through several threads on this board, as well as the usual websites with 944 info. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about my new car. Sorry I don't know any real specific names of parts. I know a small amount about cars (more than average, I guess.) Also, sorry if I come across as a total noob moron, I'm just trying to get some help. Hopefully this is the right place. Thanks in advance. I've got some quick questions for you guys.

1. I've read the timing belts are a necessity to keep on top of, and the prior owner doesn't know the service history. How much can I expect to pay for a timing belt job, or is it worth doing it myself?

2. The heater is constantly on. Hot air blows through the air vents and by the pedals. The controls don't do anything, so I think he wired it to always be on. Is this a good guess, or is there something else?

3. The shifter keeps coming unattached from the metal part that goes back to the transmission. Am I missing a washer or something?

4. The sunroof doesn't work. I've followed the instructions in the manual, and it still doesn't do anything. Could it be a fuse, or is the motor bad? The motor doesn't even make a sound, so maybe it could be the actual button not being wired correctly?

oh, and here's a picture of it at night (it doesn't look as good up close ):

edit: one more question
Old 04-21-2005, 02:39 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

You need to replace the T-belt if you don't know when it was last replaced; it is a fairly involved job, so if you are not competent working on P cars then I would suggest you take it to a shop, but it is not an inexpensive job

the problem with the heater is most likely a simple plastic clip in the dash; i can't remember what it is called right now, but I know mine broke one day on the way to school and it started blowing hot air at full blast and the controls didn't do anything. it was like a $1.35 clip - not a big deal
Old 04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Timing belt is definitely worth doing yourself. Will save a ton of cash, there are plenty of tutorials on doing the job. www.clarksgarage.com is a valuable resource.
2. More than likely a failed heater valve. Fails in the open position.
3.Not sure on the shifter.
Welcome to the club. We are here to help.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:44 PM
bigsheldy
Advanced

Originally Posted by aeronautica86
You need to replace the T-belt if you don't know when it was last replaced; it is a fairly involved job, so if you are not competent working on P cars then I would suggest you take it to a shop, but it is not an inexpensive job

the problem with the heater is most likely a simple plastic clip in the dash; i can't remember what it is called right now, but I know mine broke one day on the way to school and it started blowing hot air at full blast and the controls didn't do anything. it was like a $1.35 clip - not a big deal
Any idea what the part is called, or would I be able to just open the dash and see exactly what is it right away?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:45 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The shifter pin has an E clip on the end of it....i know i have gotten them at Ace hardware in the bolt/specialty washer section....about 50 cents or so. You may have to put a washer in between to take up the slack...i think a spring washer was originally used, and best if you can use again, as it will help to reduce the side to side slop in the shifter.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:51 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Welcome and good timing on your post. A few of us 944 locals are having a timing belt session at my house in Elk Grove this Saturday. We are hopefully doing 4 cars. You are more than welcome to come over and see what's involved in the project. I'll show you how to fix that heater also, 3 to 1 the cable isn't hooked to the heater control valve or not connected at the panel. If you are interested send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and the directions. The shifter fix is an easy one also. Again welcome to Rennlist; you won't find a better source of info and just plain good people.

Steve
Old 04-21-2005, 03:04 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extra large paper clip works quite well on the shifter cir-clip! Especially satisfying fix if you find one in the gutter where you had to push your car after it became shiftless at the traffic light

Ask Me How I Know!!!

Get those belts checked!!!!!

Jim 1987 944S

Trending Topics

Old 04-21-2005, 03:11 PM
OK944
Advanced

I just fixed the heater ordeal a week or two ago. If you go in under the steering wheel in the center console there is a black case with two or three screws, if you take it off you will see some servo's with some screw rods running to them. The screw rods attach to the servo's with a part that is often called a bearing or something like that. You will see its broke. If you get the cover off and can't find the servo I am talking about put the key in and turn it to on with everything off (Stereo, A/C, ect) and then turn the temp **** all the way to one side or the other and you will see and/or hear it move. I just used a zip tie to rig mine closed until the part comes in. So I set it to full cold and then closed the flap and zip tied it that way. Which I could go more indepth or provide pictures, but its a simple job once you see what has to be done.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:32 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

The early cars don't have the vacumm operated HVAC like yours. The hot air problem is usually a failed heater control valve or slipped cable. My 86 had the typical problem like your 88 had, even used the same temp fix.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the sunroof motor isn't turning, I'm betting it's a fuse. I don't know about a 1984, but I understand it's similar to the 1987 924S... Therefore, your fuses should be under the dash. If you have the owners manual, it'll describe the location of the fuses for whatever you need.

As for your 944 not being pretty enough for a daytime, up close pic, that's a load of bull I mean, you're driving a Porsche! they're all pretty. I mean, every car has their issues...mine, when I let it go about 3 months without waxing, the hood turns pink which is not cool...

The only thing I'd say would be the reason to NOT do your own timing belts would be if you did not trust your hand at making sure they are tensioned propperly. It is pretty intense, but it's not too hard. You do not have the spring loaded timing tensioner, so it'll be a little different for you than for me, but on the plus side, you don't have to deal with a spring loaded tensioner. DO NOT USE A HAYNES MANUAL FOR THE TIMING BELT PROCEDURE... I'd reccommend showing up at Kuhl 951's timing belt party. they're a bunch of fun, and you'll learn a lot.

Shift ****, yep. E clip. a paper clip would work well too.

as for the heater, I'm unsure on that one.

Good luck, welcome to the list, and nice car!
Old 04-21-2005, 04:35 PM
OK944
Advanced

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The early cars don't have the vacumm operated HVAC like yours. The hot air problem is usually a failed heater control valve or slipped cable. My 86 had the typical problem like your 88 had, even used the same temp fix.
Doh, didn't pay attention to the year.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
bigsheldy
Advanced

Well, I did what you said with the e-clip and it's not falling off anymore, but there's still a lot of play in the shifter. Oh well, that's fine. Also, I checked the fuses and replaced one that was bad, but the sunroof still doesn't work, so I'm either not doing it right (which I'm pretty sure I am) or the motor is bad. Thanks for all the advice and tips, I feel so welcomed and it's only my first day! It's gonna need a new clutch and timing belt soon, so I'm figuring I'll spend about $1500 for both of those to be done by a mechanic (I would do them, but I don't feel like dropping the tranny to do a clutch from the back and I don't really want to screw up my engine doing the timing belt and adjustment.)
Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ummm - $1500 will buy just a clutch job at a mechanic. Barely.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, plan for about 2.5-3k (total for the 2). Labor on the clutch is about 16 hours book time, and timing belts/rollers/waterpump i think is around 8. Parts for the clutch will run 400 IIRC and timing belt/rollers/waterpump/front seals about 450.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:25 AM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

Post Heater and shifter

Here is a link that will tell you how to fix your heater problems complete with part numbers and pics. It is easy, parts are less that 2.00 and you can to if with no tools. Click here for the heater fix. The shifter has a Sprint washer on the inside between the shift rod and shift lever, then it has a lock washer on the outside that holds the whole thing together. The slop could be from the lack of the spring washer or you could have a worn shift lever or a worn bearing shell under the shift lever. here are the part numbers for the shift lever:

Lever 477 711 205 D
Spring washer 900 028 005 02
Lock Washer 900 116 005 02
Bearing shell 944 424 231 01

The belts are doable yourself if you are mechanical the only tricky part is retensioning the belts properly. I am about to tackle this this weekend so I'll let you know. The other thing to consider when doing the belts is to make sure all the seals, water pump and rollers are replace at the same time. Just saves work and other potential problems. Total parts I just bought for this weekend including special tools was about 550.00 the basically replace everything on the front of the motor. The clutch without changing the the flywheel will run you between 400.00 and 700.00 depending on the wear on some of the parts that folks don't mention like the bearing, and axle for the throw out fork. the fork itself and bolts in the flywheel and clutch cover, and pilot bearing. It too is doable if you have the time and tools and space. It will require you to remove the transmission.

Sounds like fun. good luck and welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: First time Porsche owner with some Q's