Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel lines what's the trick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005 | 10:02 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

Default Fuel lines what's the trick?

OK so I go to put on the SS fuel lines and I can't get the compression fitting to seat right. There isn't much room to work near the fender and I just need to get it to go about a 1/16in more. it seems like the line is out of round right before the bend. I even tried putting the fitting on all together and pressing it on but no luck.
Old 04-07-2005 | 12:42 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Your post count says it's time to get a membership.
Old 04-07-2005 | 12:46 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Are you fitting them inside the engine bay or in the wheel arch? I found that a mini pipe cutter got the end nice and square, and then had to just clean the paint/coating with some fine wet&dry to get the 10mm compression on. The 8mm fitted just fine.
Old 05-02-2005 | 03:20 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

Well I had to go trough the wheel well because I couldn't get a clean cut through the engine compartment. Now I have the space but I already compressed the fitting so I have to wait for a new one. I tried all of the local shops and no one had anything even close to 10mm.

And before anyone else makes a comment my dues have been paid, just waiting for my profile to be updated!
Old 05-02-2005 | 03:42 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

You don't have to have your profile updated and be a member.(You just don't get the sig etc...)
For those really concerned about tech, they should not be concerned about the red letters
Old 05-02-2005 | 05:20 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

What did you use to do the cut? It's probably a little distorted right there, when you get the new one, use a small file and bevel the cut edge's outer edge and it should go easily.

ibkevin, real helpful post.

Sam
Old 05-02-2005 | 05:22 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Ken,

Spot the pipe cutter in the picture (the red thing!). You can pick them up from any plumbing shop for like $4. Saves a world of hurt.......

When you're in the arch, take off the two fuel line clamps you see. IIRC, I removed the clip holding the brake pipe to the body aswell. You can then move the pipe enough to get the cutter around it. Just clamp it on, go round once, tighten, and repeat until it's cut. Should be about 5 times, and leaves you with a nice round pipe still. You may have to clean off the burrs with some sandpaper, and maybe some of the paint/coating on the pipe. Don't go too OTT though or the pipe will end up too small for the olive.
Old 05-02-2005 | 05:24 PM
9five1
Pro

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
ibkevin, real helpful post.
.... Seriously

It took me a couple of tries to get mine on, but with enough force they should click right into place.

~Eric
Old 05-03-2005 | 01:28 AM
Gear Dog
Instructor

Well when I got my lines thay forgot to add the cutter, but I found one in my tool box. I couldn't get the cutter around the line from the top and at the time I couldn't get to the pass side to pull the wheel. So I did the unthinkable I stuffed the line with like 3 inches of rope and got the hack saw out. Well that still wasn't working because I couldn't get the fitting to sit flush. So now that it is warmer I pushed the car outside and did it the right way. I cut it before the bend in the firewall, now I just need a new fitting which should come in this week. Thanks for all of the feed back guys. This project lasted longer than my first 2 year membership mainly because I read a lot of horror stories about belt jobs gone bad. Truth is when I got down to it it took all of a few nights to get it done.

Quick Reply: Fuel lines what's the trick?