Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do your friends think of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the 944s and most of my friends can't believe I got a Porsche (much less two of them) for what I paid. They generally seem to think I obsess over them too much (don't we all) but I don't care. I told my wife it was that or a blond with silicone *****. She lets me do what I want with the cars. . .
Old 04-06-2005, 03:22 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spedracer18, i can't believe you have friends who don't know much about cars who offer to help you!! I only have one friend who knows anything about cars, and he hardly has time to work on his own, and the other friends just don't bother, the don't wanna catch the disease...
Old 04-06-2005, 03:24 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spedracer18
My friends like the 944 so much they offer to help me with the mechanic side of things. However, they dont know much about cars so im a little weary of letting help with anything other than holding this or that.

My girlfriend on the other hand despises the car. She knows i am car crazy, and love my car just as much (if not more :-) ) as her. She doesnt seem to mind so much when she rides in it though. how odd...
Mine was worried as hell that I loved the car more than her... Oh man that took some fast thinking and smooth talking.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a friend help me take of the Koni's for adjustment last night... Too bad he doesn't know how to use an impact wrench.... nearly rounded the top mounting bolt right off... I removed his right to air tools.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:43 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The wife hates the car. She just doesn't get it, and how much I enjoy taking care of it. She just sees a money pit. Whatever, I am the only male in a houseful of women. I need my island of tranquility...go away, dad's working on his car.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My 944 and my friends M-Coupe....

Old 04-06-2005, 03:55 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S54 or S52? Both are extremely fun.

My friends liked riding with me in the 944 when it was stock, and a few lucky ones even got to drive it once or twice. Since I've torn it apart I get either "You're never gonna sell that thing" or "GOD DAMN, I hope it's worth it". We'll have to see in a couple days
Old 04-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's funny - my wife gives me a hard time about "fighting the inevitable" march of time, entropy, whatever you want to call it in preserving these cars and pouring ridiculous amounts of time / money into them in pursuit of "stopping time". I pointed out that she does the same with her obsession over looks, use of eight million various cleansers, wrinkle creams, etc. (as many women and some guys do). I think I slept on the couch that night for my comment, but she DID admit I was right and one of our biggest obsessions as humans seems to be stalling the march of time - which we cannot do. I guess maybe she understands my obsession a little better now. . .
Old 04-06-2005, 04:02 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

OOOooooo....never seen an M Coupe before...methinks that if a Cayman isn't in my future...a M Coupe may be.....*ahem*

My friends mostly love my car, especially my friend Nick. he has a 2nd gen rx7 (red....of course) that is probably faster than mine in the straights, but he says he would gladly give up his car for mine any day of the week. He can't wait to detail it this summer...mainly cause i promised him one drive in it...

My girlfriend loves it too, and is looking foward to one day owning her own. She loves cars, and wants to learn how to work on them. Howeve, with the money we have now, she gets mad when i say i want to add something to it...
Old 04-06-2005, 04:19 PM
pcarphanatik
Pro

My wife loves the car, she helps me work on it and likes to run it around town every so often.

My friends they also love it, period.

My parents think I'm crazy to own a porsche at my age....then again they would have been happy to have me living off them until I was 40.

My co-workers (most of whom are about twice my age and drive econo-boxes/american)....they hate me!
Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first my friends all made fun of it because it is slow in a straight line. I drive a 924S. Some of them said its ugly. I told them that I would rather have this car then some camaro. Who cares about straight line performance? I know if they did they would have a bike. I have a bike that is quick in a straight line and fun as hell to ride. The Porsche was going to be a parts car until I got it running and did some work to it. Now my friends always want to ride in it or drive it. I took my one friend down to Highway M. It is a county highway that has its straight parts and twisties. I would go fast on the straight lines then get on the brakes and make the turns effortlessly. My friend around the turns kept saying slow down slow down. I told him that there was no substitute. Then I said you can't do that in your 68 stang now could you. He always returns with I could make a 5.0 handle like that if I got all new suspension. He still gets scared sometimes with me driving my 924. I just laugh.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Most people don't know I have one. Actually, the majority of people that KNOW I own one are in PCA or Rennlist! The few close friends that know i have it, or have ridden in it think its cool. Most don't understand why i have one though. Or why i need one.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
What you also might want to factor in is how big our 3.0 liter bores are. Consider our redline is under 7000 which is low for a high performance 4 cylinder.

I used to think my car was fast when I first bought it, but now it definately does feel a bit slow.

Stock Redline is under 7000rpm but mine is 7050rpm.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by silverBean
I gotta agree with the edge on the fact that EVERYONE hates the back seat
One of the reasons I got rid of all of my true four+ seaters was to limit the amount of time I have to chauffer (sp?) everyone around. Seems to work nicely.

BB.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:13 PM
daniel951
Race Car

yep i deal with this daily. my car has been in the garage being worked on for about 1yearof the 2years i have owned it . from always modding it and etc.. When i take people of rides though they are simply amazed what this thing can do and actually scare them. on the other hand i have my parents say get rid of that POS especially my dad since i have so much time and money invested in it. but when it runs its all worth it when that turbo kicks in. wait till i start my 3L project and see wha tkind of comments i get then.

Quick Reply: What do your friends think of your car?