Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Porsche Ownership Days have come to a close (for now)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 01:45 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My Porsche Ownership Days have come to a close (for now)

In the last few years I have had a couple of Porsches in the garage:

1) 1988 Black 944 Turbo: Caught on fire (Parted out)
2) 1986 Black 944 Turbo: Traded for #3 in the great chassis swap
3) 1985 Not so Guards Red 944 Turbo: The car I spent way to much money on, and now resides with Jonathan (AKA NeedForSpeedPorsche) whom I'm quite sure will take good care of her.
4) 1987 Silver 944 Turbo: Sold to be turned into a track car IIRC
5) 1993 Amazon Green 968: Not a bad daily, but not my bag.
6) 1986 Graphite Grey 944 Turbo: Sold to Blood Raven
7) 1986 Ruby Red 944 Turbo: Blood Raven's Old car (parted out)
8) 1987 Guards Red 924S: Sunroof Delete car, sold to Brian in VA to be turned into a race car.

And after all of these different cars I have chosen to give it all up for a spell. I would enjoy having another one, but I am moving to the heart of NYC and car ownership was not in the budget.

But fear not (like anyone was really scared) I will return to the fray someday, but instead of joining in yet another 944 Turbo I think I might try my hand with something a bit more modern:

Why abandon the 944 line after all this time? Because the lesson I learned in all the trials and tribulations of porsche ownership is: It is all about the driving, having a slower reliable porsche was more fun than a fast one that is only fast on paper because it spends its entire life on jackstands.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:48 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Hope you had fun with your P-cars, don't be a stranger to the list.

I did receive the memory card - Have not played it yet due to working on my 928. Thanks again, if I make it to the east coast any time soon, I'll look you up.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I hope the posters on the walls of your city pad help kill the bug for awhile!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:57 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ian, best of luck in the new locale and the relationship.

You've been an asset to the list. I could always count on you for a knowledgable, no-nonsense answer.

Don't be a stranger, you've got my email address and that is usually the best way to reach me.

Take care.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Cya Ian - good luck in NY. Anytime you come to the raceway dont be a stranger - youve got a place to stay...and If you happen to meet any really hot girls in NY that have alot of money that want to support someone like me - just let me know.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

welcome to the big apple.

Neeeew yawk, just as you pitchured it!!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:56 PM
icat
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
Why abandon the 944 line after all this time? Because the lesson I learned in all the trials and tribulations of porsche ownership is: It is all about the driving, having a slower reliable porsche was more fun than a fast one that is only fast on paper because it spends its entire life on jackstands.
Ouch! Now that's a quotable line if I ever heard one. And a prime example of why a 924S can be more fun than a 951. Have fun in the big apple!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ian

Amen brother, your words make me want to take a gas can and torch to mine.

Have fun in NYC.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's important to know if you need to move on, and when.
Having a car in downtown NY would be nuts, let alone a P-Car! Public transit, my friend! Enjoy the city like a true New Yorker...
As tifo mentioned, you've been a great asset to the list. I've always enjoyed reading your posts, and I'm glad I got to see the Red Rocket change and become what it was when you owned it, and that it went to a great new owner.
One of my favourite 951's out there, I have tons of pics of it!
Good luck out there!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian,
If you're looking to fulfill your speed fix, check out:
http://www.ovrp.com/new.html

I'm not affiliated in any way, just enjoyed an endurance event, there. It shouldn't be too far from you.
-J
Old 03-28-2005, 04:44 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendan
It's important to know if you need to move on, and when.
Having a car in downtown NY would be nuts, let alone a P-Car! Public transit, my friend! Enjoy the city like a true New Yorker...!

Ive never understood this concept of mass transit without an automobile. I mean, how do you go to the grocery store???? You gonna lug 9 bags of groceries by yourself on a subway train?

How do you go buy a television. In other words, how do you get it home. I guess I just dont undestand how public transportation can successfully answer all those other requirements in the daily life as far as getting your stuff from here to there.

Perhaps with the money saved on a car you simply get everything delivered including groceries and new vaccum cleaners? How do you get to Uncle Ralphs funeral in Buffalo? Greyhound?

Never been to NYC so its a concept I completely do not understand.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by UDPride
Ive never understood this concept of mass transit without an automobile. I mean, how do you go to the grocery store???? You gonna lug 9 bags of groceries by yourself on a subway train?

How do you go buy a television. In other words, how do you get it home. I guess I just dont undestand how public transportation can successfully answer all those other requirements in the daily life as far as getting your stuff from here to there.

Perhaps with the money saved on a car you simply get everything delivered including groceries and new vaccum cleaners? How do you get to Uncle Ralphs funeral in Buffalo? Greyhound?

Never been to NYC so its a concept I completely do not understand.
I thought this same way too before actually moving there. What you do is to only purchase what you need for 1 or 2 days worth of eating. The grocery stores there don't have much of a selection anyway so it works out great. Plus, most people just eat out ALL THE TIME. Sure it's expensive but at least someone else does the dishes for you.

To go elsewhere, you use the train, plane, bus, or rental car.

For everything else - EVERYONE delivers!
Old 03-29-2005, 01:55 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats and don't be a stranger around here.

And remember, the Yankees still suck.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

I will not be a stranger to rennlist, it is set as my Home Page afterall. There are plenty of things I can read and enjoy here even with out the p-car in my own garage, and besides I have to see what is going on in the Cayman forum.....

Originally Posted by icat
Ouch! Now that's a quotable line if I ever heard one. And a prime example of why a 924S can be more fun than a 951. Have fun in the big apple!
I think we tend to focus on the details of the build up, and buying the next great part, when in reality the cars are a ton of fun in stock form, and perhaps we should all be more concerned with keeping them in good working order.

Originally Posted by Magown
Amen brother, your words make me want to take a gas can and torch to mine.

Have fun in NYC
No need to be brash, but maybe when you finish up your projects you'll head in a new direction.

Quick Reply: My Porsche Ownership Days have come to a close (for now)