Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"cold air intake" NA testing to come.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Just another data point. While at the race shop that supports me, I wandered into the dyno room (engine dyno) and there sat a nice S2 engine being "tweeked" I spoke to the shop owner and asked what kind of power it was making (It was more than you guys would believe) but the most interesting thing was that when they removed the aftermarket air filter they picked up 18hp. Yes you read that right, they gained 18 hp by taking off the afermarket filter housing and going back to stock. I remember seeing the unit sitting on the floor and it was not a cone type but a fake carbon fiber housing with a cone type inside. It had a hose running out of it connected to the the MAF. Now this is a "tuned" engine but pretty stock, no cams or solid lifters, stock pistons crank etc. Maybe some porting or polishing but nothing exotic. Needless to say, I think Porsche did a pretty good job with the air box, to screw around with it aside from drilling holes for sound enhancement, seems foolish to me. This is a well known race shop and I cannot discolose the HP #'s as to protect the owner who may or may not go racing with SCCA,PCA,NASA or Midwest Con. but it was in the neighborhood of 951S #'s
Old 03-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric,

Yeah, that is what I discovered as well, though unfortunately no dyno to back it up. I put this link on the first page, but the second paragraph of my post on this link explains what I found

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=cone+filter

Ashton,

Yeah, I am aware that is the point. I was commenting on the two posts above mine.

Quick Reply: "cold air intake" NA testing to come.