Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying 944 manual rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:42 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Modifying 944 manual rack

i remember reading someones post on how to modify the early 944 manual rack to fit a late offset car.by cutting and welding in the late tie rod ends to the early rack.who has done this?and can you give me some instructions on doing so.i dont feel like paying $150+ for 1 late manual tie rod assembly.thanx in advance!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:40 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 03-26-2005, 09:14 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess you could cut and weld, but the late tie rods are just shorter - just find out how much shorter and cut that much out, and weld it back together. You better get them straight though. There was a later 924/944 model that used a manual rack setup. If you can find those tie rods, you'd be better off just buying them, but thye are hard to find.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Late tie rods are longer. Also, the (updated) manual tie rods are female with tie rod ends that screw into them while power steering are male with ends that screw onto them.

Travis pointed out that you can get some metric threaded rod from McMaster-Carr and screw a hunk into the manual tierod to make up the correct length, then use an end from a power steering tierod screwed onto it. Simple solution.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Steve PH
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although the tie rod ends which screw on to the rack are different dependant on wether its fitted to a power or manual rack, the end connecting to the hub is the same. So just get the correct tie rods for the rack.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:08 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was talk before of making extension sleeves so you can retain the correct tie rod ends and just extend the early tie rod enough to be usable on a late car.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:14 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Does anyone know the difference in mechanical advantage between the PS and manual rack?

I've got PS, but recently one of the rod ends broke relegating me to a manual/non PS rack. I don't mind the extra effort (unless I'm parking) and prefer the feel of the non-PS, but I'm wondering if I should just keep the PS rack in non-PS config or go for a manual rack swap. Is there a big enough difference in mechanical advantage to do the swap?

chris
Old 03-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

just buy the right tie rods from a porsche dealer, they arent common but are available.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

part # 944-347-033-03
Old 03-27-2005, 05:16 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

[Does anyone know the difference in mechanical advantage between the PS and manual rack?]

Pro's: The power rack is quicker ie there are only three turns lock to lock were as the manual is 3.5, doesn't sound like much but when dealing with tight hairpin bends or tricky chicanes (on track!) the power rack wins !

Con's: when running unassisted the power rack is heavier to turn, noticeably more so at low speed. There may be issues in simply disconnecting the pump, maybe one of the other guys could elaborate what these issues might be ?

BTW I have a converted power rack on mine (re-jigged to fit a manual steering shaft) It rocks !
Old 03-27-2005, 05:23 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve PH

BTW I have a converted power rack on mine (re-jigged to fit a manual steering shaft) It rocks !
How can the shaft make a difference in the mechanical advantage? I think you're talking about the gear.

Re-jigged??? What do you mean by "re-jigged"? Did they have to cut, jig, and weld it?

when running unassisted the power rack is heavier to turn, noticeably more so at low speed. There may be issues in simply disconnecting the pump, maybe one of the other guys could elaborate what these issues might be ?
Yes. If you reread my post, I already know this. No issues in diconnecting the pump. You just have to make sure the rack is lubed.

The power rack is quicker ie there are only three turns lock to lock were as the manual is 3.5
Where did you get this info? I'd like to confrim these numbers before I make a decision. Is it in the shop manuals?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:58 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

lindsey sells them for $160 for 1,just wondering if someone has done this method.thanx
Old 03-28-2005, 12:46 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lindsey sells what for $160?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally Posted by shortyboy
lindsey sells them for $160 for 1,just wondering if someone has done this method.thanx
dealer is cheaper
Old 03-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm just curious.... I drove a 931 awhile back & I did not like thte manual at ALL... it was much easier to turn the wheel on-center... BUT, when I would get past 1/6 turn or so, it would start to get much heavier... the weight was non-linear... the feel was not linear at all either... the whole thing just didnt give a good feel.... i'm wondering if this is anything like the way a manual is supposed to feel....? Everyone says they are heavier, but, again, on-center to ~1/8 turn or so was MUCH easier... If something was wrong w/the car, then, it was not a good example for me to rely on... I wanted manual, but, after that, not.... I'd like to try another.... anyone near Knoxville TN? Atlanta or Charlotte, etc? I would LOVE to get rid of the leaking probs.....

Also- it's the GEAR that changes geometry I believe.... the manual geometry makes for easier turning, but, w/out power, should still be harder to turn, etc.... this is my understanding.... of course, my experience tells me the opposite... I could also tell that more turning would be required in S-turns, etc.... just like Steve said....

I would like to make my power steering heavier but same linear response, feel, etc... My Momo wheel made it tougher to turn- 350mm- 300 or 280mm would be perfect for weight, but, would look ridiculous,,,, ive heard of people using heavier "valve springs" but no one has been able to confirm....

Quick Reply: Modifying 944 manual rack