Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time Porsche owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 12:15 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In-Dra-Pily
See its easy!
Try Cootamundra or Wujal Wujal
LOL
Old 03-22-2005, 05:27 AM
PCMAX
Racer

G'Day Brian,
Welcome to the best most informative 944 forum on the planet. I have had my car for nearly 2 years now. There isn't anything the folks that frequent this forum have not been able to answer/solve. The search function is also a great resource. I have a few dozen websites in the US for buying parts and aftermarket stuff, PM me and I'll email you all the links.
The drive from Cairns to Port Douglas will be a blast in your new car with the roof off. Just stay away from that dingo's p*ss you call XXXX.

Peter
Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi pete
Mate, have put a deposit on the car today. Am going to the sunshine coast on Wed to check it out and do paperwork. 4 day drive home, take loooooottttttssssss of pics showing surf and rainforest (and car!)
Will get in touch when I get back home.
And, being born and bred in Sydney, I prefer Hahn Ice or Carlton Cold or Tooheys or KB or XXXX or VB or basically anything that's cold and has even the remotest similarity to beer! LOL
Have a look at this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/192576-should-i-buy-this-944-a.html
This is the RACQ report on the car (short version). Doesnt seem to be a whole lot wrong.
Brian
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, only 4 days to go before I actually sit in my first Porsche! 4 days to go before I actually drive my first Porsche! 4 days to go before I actually OWN my first Porsche!!!!!!!
Can this be happening to me? I think I am hooked already!
I've decided to keep my old Hyundai exel as a spare for when the 944 breaks (fingers crossed it doesn't!).
My family have accepted the fact that I am buying a 21 y.o. car. My eldest daughter just gave me a set of red fluffy dice to hang on the mirror - as if!
Spouse drws the line at me buying a Porsche racing jacket I found on ebay tho! Dunno why? It sometimes gets down to 20C here in Cairns and you need a warm jacket - LOL
Old 03-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beeg
In-Dra-Pily
See its easy!
Try Cootamundra or Wujal Wujal
LOL
Ok. Im lost. is this code for something??

I understand beer.

I used to work at a bar in Chicago that was a hotspot for Aussie natives- a lot of Aussie's would come in to imbibe. Less than 2 miles from tyhe Aussie embassy, "The Lodge" came very well recommended...It was (And probably still is) home of thebest bartenders in Chicago.

Why do Aussie men fel so comfortable "dancing" with amarican women while holding thier breasts? .. I'm Jealous- I couldnt pull THAT off..

I learned this joke at that time...

Whats the similarity to american beer and making love in a canoe?
Both barely fu#king above water.

G'day mate!
Old 03-26-2005, 05:26 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"They say that when you get old, your hearing is the second thing to go. I forget what the first one is..."

First the memory, then the hearing and now "...my give-a-damn is busted" ...;] Bruce
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Ok. Im lost. is this code for something??

I understand beer.

Why do Aussie men fel so comfortable "dancing" with amarican women while holding thier breasts? .. I'm Jealous- I couldnt pull THAT off..

G'day mate!
Hi Chris
No code, just suburb and town names. We got a lot of strange ones just like the states!
Can you give me a lead on where I can dance with women while holding their breasts?? I probably wont remember why I'm holding them, but it sounds like fun!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:48 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK you lot
I have been browsing threads. It seems that the price of 944's is a hell of a lot cheaper in the USA.
i am going to pay $AUD11500 on Wed for mine {which is very cheap](approx $US9000).
VG Condition, full service history, car bra and Porshe covers.
Drive it home 1500km and get it detailed.
wHY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE FOR A 21 YO CAR? (hit caps lock)
Is it desirabilility, availabilty, tarrifs or what.
Replies welcome. I dont insult easily.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beeg
wHY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE FOR A 21 YO CAR? (hit caps lock)
Is it desirabilility, availabilty, tarrifs or what.
The difference is in the numbers. North America is Porsche's biggest market, and thousands of these cars were exported there. OTOH, not sure how many RoW (rest of world) 944 cars were built for the Australian market, but there's no doubt it's a less common car "down under" than it is in the States.

Welcome, and enjoy the ride!
Old 03-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luis is right; the numbers imported into Australia were much lower overall, and so they haven't depreciated quite as drastically.

And you can't simply import a LHD car from the US to drive it; the state laws will require they be converted to RHD (unless for track use only), and the expense of that (~$15K) makes it uneconomical. So US prices do not directly affect the prices of cars here.

Finally, Aussies are a much more discerning lot overall; they understand the true value of these cars, unlike the unappreciative Americans ;-)

Btw, $11,500 is a pretty average price for an early 944; check out the Trading Post (www.autotrader.com.au) and you'll see the asking price for 1984 models start at about $9,500. $11,500 is about median.

The "early" model NAs (up to 1985) command less than the late model years i.e., 1986 onwards (although there are some "late" NAs built in 1985 that you will see referred to as 1985.5s).

A 944 Turbo (a.k.a. 951) will command more than a late model NA -- typically $20-30K. The 944 S2, although strictly speaking a NA, has the 3.0L engine and is closer in spec and performance to the Turbos than to the 2.5L NAs. The S2 coupes command a similar price to the Turbos, but the S2 cabriolets are the most expensive of all -- budget $30K. The 968 (originally conceived as the 944 S3) is the dearest member of the family, prices starting mid $30s, but still typically over $40K.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new acquisition!

-Mark

Last edited by Mark944na86; 03-27-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:12 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow
I expected replies, but, wow!
Thanks people! Appreciate the input.
I have just found that Cairns has a Porsche club. The President tells me there are 20-30 cars in town, most must be weekend only tourers because I dont recall seeing any around. The club apparently has 14 members. Looking at their website ( http://www.porscheclubcairns.com ) to my inexperienced eye, they seem to be mostly 911's.
i intend mine to be a daily driver but will care for it a lot more than my poor exel!
Will keep you all posted on progress.
Ta

Last edited by beeg; 03-29-2005 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:09 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

First sunny day for two weeks. Sssssoooooooo, photo op!!!
Isn't he nice?
Attached Images    
Old 04-16-2005, 02:15 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

And again!!!
What he is replacing can be seen in the background. My poor little watermelon!
Attached Images     
Old 04-16-2005, 02:35 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bruce had an independent service/checkup today. perfect health! YeaHa!
However the AA (RACQ) inspection that I paid for proves to be faulty. Surprise surprise!
I have just ripped a new ******* from the supervisor at their call centre and expect a call from the inspectors supervisor next Wed.
If these people are going to charge me a premium to inspect a P-car (cost $260) then they should have a mechanic who knows the maque inspect same!
I'm gunna rip this guy a new ******* as well!!!!!!
Should get a refund somewhere!

Quick Reply: First time Porsche owner