Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilk's Powerprom for early 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:49 PM
spedracer18
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wilk's Powerprom for early 944

hello

i own a 1983 porsche 944 na and have been told to upgrade to a powerprom chip commonly used in these cars. However the website they gave me was non-existent. I was wondering if anyone had any idea where i could go about finding one of these chips. Also, i heard some people know how to make them, would anyone be willing to? I appreciate your replies.

Thanks

James
Old 03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

There seems to be something wrong with his website.. It could have changed but I dont have the new one.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fr wilks has diasappeared, he is a frequent poster on Pelicanparts forums, and now he is just totally gone, people are really worried about him actually. so its going to be impossible currently to get one of his well acclaimed chips
Old 03-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mr. Wilk was a regular on the Pelican forums. However he has been MIA for quiet a while now (almost a month i believe). Noone seems to know where he is, there are a handful of threads about trying to find him over on the Pelican forums along with a couple of people looking to order chips from him. It was brought up that someone could copy the chip and possibly send him a royalty on it when and if he ever shows up..though i dont know how morally right or legal that would be.

A couple of people had thought about someone who lives close to him swinging by his residence just to check up on him, but i dont think anyone has. It was also brought up that in the last few people he dealt with he seemed a little 'tired' of the answering questions ..etc . I last talked with him back in December when i was wiring a switch to the chip so i could run stock / modified fuel maps easily. He seemd much more no nonsense compared to when i had last talked to him about ordering a chip in October..
Old 03-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Macfreak007
fr wilks has diasappeared, he is a frequent poster on Pelicanparts forums, and now he is just totally gone, people are really worried about him actually. so its going to be impossible currently to get one of his well acclaimed chips
It's happened before, last I recall a couple of years ago, from the email list. I'm sure he'll be back.
His site has actually been down for a while now.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I hope he comes back, I'll be one of his next customers.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like one as well, but if he doesn't come back, I may be switching to a later model AFM and DME and chip that one.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:26 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
It was brought up that someone could copy the chip and possibly send him a royalty on it when and if he ever shows up..though i dont know how morally right or legal that would be.

Yeah, that was me who raised that idea. Having gone through over a dozen patent, copyright, trademark cases in Federal court and seen the results in real life that would be an appropriate way to go about this. Send him his royalty or lost profit if he ever arises again. That would be the moral thing to do, you probably wouldn't have to end up doing that through the legal system.

But if the posts on Pelican are to be believed he was getting quite vulgar and short in his last known conversations. So who knows what became of him.

Between him and Danno, what is it with these chip guys? Burning air/fuel/timing code in chips must do something to the brain.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:36 AM
spedracer18
Racer

for sure...well ill also be another customer if he ever turns up. are there other chips for the early 944's (specifically '83 na)? i was only informed of this one and have looked and only found autothority and weltmeister chips for later models. thanks for your help everyone

james
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 AM
MoonBoy
Pro

There was an adapter board that had to be intalled on the DME to allow for the new chip to be put in. This is why you only see late chips, because they already have a socketed chip. This is a very old thread that kind of describes what I'm talking about. I don't think the picture is for the right thread... I would buy one of these from FRWilk if he ever resurfaced.

Also, note that he is listed as "banned" is this right? Why? His last access was 12-31-1969! Wow, rennlist is older than I thought, must have been on the CERN/DARPA-net.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Aside from his chip burning skills, FR knew his way around the early 944 DME better than anyone else.

The thing with the early cars is that the chips don't just pop in and out, but are soldered in, and FR did this as part of the sale by sending him your DME or on an exchange basis.

Originally Posted by Ken D
It's happened before, last I recall a couple of years ago, from the email list. I'm sure he'll be back.
His site has actually been down for a while now.
He had some health issues then, IIRC.

I also remember sh944 getting in touch with him to make sure he was OK, and posting back to the E-Mail list. We were like family in those lists...
Old 03-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by MoonBoy
Also, note that he is listed as "banned" is this right? Why?
Not long after his last MIA event he flipped out a bit in some threads. It's been a while so I don't remember the exact details, but IIRC he was warned first and ignored John D. He had it coming. He was also completely unremorseful.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
He had some health issues then, IIRC.

I also remember sh944 getting in touch with him to make sure he was OK, and posting back to the E-Mail list. We were like family in those lists...
Exactly. I didn't want to go into specifics. At the time I corresponded with Scott off the email list.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:33 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Iceshark, are you an IP attorney? I'm in law school right now and specializing in IP law.. (Sorry to go OT here)

Originally Posted by IceShark
Yeah, that was me who raised that idea. Having gone through over a dozen patent, copyright, trademark cases in Federal court and seen the results in real life that would be an appropriate way to go about this. Send him his royalty or lost profit if he ever arises again. That would be the moral thing to do, you probably wouldn't have to end up doing that through the legal system.

But if the posts on Pelican are to be believed he was getting quite vulgar and short in his last known conversations. So who knows what became of him.

Between him and Danno, what is it with these chip guys? Burning air/fuel/timing code in chips must do something to the brain.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:13 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ckathens
Iceshark, are you an IP attorney? I'm in law school right now and specializing in IP law.. (Sorry to go OT here)

No. I was the financial expert that the IP attorneys would hire for the damages portion of the case. That is such a huge portion of these cases that I would almost live with them, well I did through trial, and soaked up all the law through osmosis. And I have worked some pretty big cases.

You should make a nice living in this area of practice.

Quick Reply: Wilk's Powerprom for early 944