Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

perforated airbox and astonishing depth

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not being cynical, it's common knowledge. Just annoyed you guys are screwing up good parts to make your cars slower.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those holes should have been 19/64ths...
Old 03-08-2005, 09:43 PM
gstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"So you guys are drilling up your air boxes because you like the sound? How do you know the increased air temp isn't reducing your power? It has to."
"Just annoyed you guys are screwing up good parts to make your cars slower."

Well I must be the epitome of moron, as I irecently finished modifying my hatch for my hundred-pound sound system. But, hey, what can I say. I like the sound...

I have to say though, someone with a turbo should not be talking down at intake temp, you have a much larger issue on your hands.

And, if this is doing any measurable harm to the output of our engines, maybe we should all drive around with our hoods off. With all that fresh, cold air, we would just fly down the track! It couldn't offend you then, could it, Mr. Peckster??? Or,maybe move to MN when you want better times.

I admire Stigs innovation here, simple, clean, functional.

Best Regards,
Ben Goldstein
Old 03-08-2005, 09:52 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

While the holes may increase will increase intake temperature, it will not effect it to the point that you will see any measureable horse power loss. My friend did a simlar thing to his nissan, he removed his intake resonator and that made the car sound awesome. Doing this in his car would have a greater effect than drilling holes in our air boxes. When the intake resonator was removed, the car was sucking air in from the engine bay more than it was with the resonator on. I can say that there was NO noticable decrease in performance.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

If you actually do see any rise in the intake temperatures (I'm not convinced until someone shows me some actual data), then it couldn't be that significant of a rise.

With holes the size of those pictured above, you will see a NEGLIGIBLE change in intake temperature. The air box is not under much of a vaccum at all, the stock inlet provides more than enough flow with minimal restriction. Say you have a huge hole in your intake (see mine below). Now the most you'll see is maybe 50% of the air coming through that hole. So whatever the difference in temp between that air and ambient is now cut in half. While the car is moving, the air around the airbox is likely not much higher than ambient to begin with. I don't have temperature measurements to prove it, but I would be very suprised if this wasn't the case. You'll likely see more power lost from breakfast to lunch than you will from adding/removing holes in your airbox, due to temperature change.

90% of the effect of holes in the airbox is sound related.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2005, 10:17 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

A few people have done under-hood temp tests while the car is moving at speed, I believe Manning is one of them. They found that the ambient air temperature was almost the same as the air temperature near the air box. I can't imagine a few small holes, or even the large rectangular one, creating any measureable difference in intake air temperature.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:54 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

DanG... do you have an audio clip of what your car sounds like with that hole in there possibly with stock exhaust??
Old 03-08-2005, 10:55 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

peckster, that would be known as common rhetoric, ie, unproven hypothesis. i'm not saying i disagree, just playing devil's advocate since you disagree with almost everything posted on rennlist.

do you have a dyno graph to prove your point? i have not been able to find one.

in fact, grassroots motorsports did a piece on the 944 several years ago and one of their projects was to install a cone filter setup and header on the 944 na, with dyno before and after. the result - no noticeable change in power:
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/proj944.html. now it's possible a slight gain with the header cancelled a slight loss from the cone filter, but again, i would argue the change is extremely minute.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:57 PM
d_roedel
Instructor

along with everyone else's posts, ill just say that on my 89' the hole to the fender is blocked off and my intake sucks from behind the headlight,

it came from the factory like this, so in theory all of the above people are doing an update to their cars,

and it cant be bad if porsche did it,,,,,
Old 03-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
peckster, that would be known as common rhetoric, ie, unproven hypothesis. i'm not saying i disagree, just playing devil's advocate since you disagree with almost everything posted on rennlist.

do you have a dyno graph to prove your point? i have not been able to find one.

in fact, grassroots motorsports did a piece on the 944 several years ago and one of their projects was to install a cone filter setup and header on the 944 na, with dyno before and after. the result - no noticeable change in power:
http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/proj944.html. now it's possible a slight gain with the header cancelled a slight loss from the cone filter, but again, i would argue the change is extremely minute.
If I disagreed with most things here I would be a very busy guy. I just disagree with mods designed to increase noise and bling factor. That's rice guys, sorry.

Most things here I agree with. I just speak my mind whe someone's BSing, and that seems to be on the increase recently.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:23 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Hey, I don't think going and drilling holes in your air box to make it sound better is a good idea either. But the argument that doing so will hurt performance (or the same argument for a cone filter) due to increased intake temperatures is just wrong, given the testing some others have done with underhood temps at speed. There's just too much air moving through there and not enough heat coming off the engine to that area to make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
jksymz75 (07-31-2019)
Old 03-09-2005, 12:24 AM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

I'm afraid you have your definition of rice wrong. While it may increase noise, it deifnately does not increase "bling factor." You can't even compare this to putting a huge park bench wing on your car, or those stupid "euro tail lights", or a fart can on a car.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wombat7
DanG... do you have an audio clip of what your car sounds like with that hole in there possibly with stock exhaust??
No audio clips, sorry. The engine is out right now for a clutch change and t-belt job or I'd record one right now.

I can best describe the change in sound by saying the car is "snortier". If you crack the throttle, you get a very throaty snort from under the hood. I find it pleasing to the ear. Its also proportional to throttle position, so there isn't much extra noise at lower pedal inputs (read: doesn't just make the car noisier all over, only when you stomp on it)

You could probably test the noise on your own car by simply removing the duct between the airbox and the fender temporarily.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:30 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

And gaining a direct access for water to flood your engine. I forget; can you compress water?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:32 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Originally Posted by SoCal Driver
And gaining a direct access for water to flood your engine. I forget; can you compress water?
Slightly.

Quick Reply: perforated airbox and astonishing depth