Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of Ebay Sellers to avoid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Lowcountry944
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry List of Ebay Sellers to avoid??

Does Rennlist have a list of Ebay sellers to avoid? I've done a search, but can't find anything. I had a terrible experience on Ebay from a frequent seller who screwed me out of about $650.

I just don't want any Rennlisters to have the same thing happen to them.

Thanks,

Lowcountry
Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Matthew951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lowcountry944
Does Rennlist have a list of Ebay sellers to avoid? I've done a search, but can't find anything. I had a terrible experience on Ebay from a frequent seller who screwed me out of about $650.

I just don't want any Rennlisters to have the same thing happen to them.

Thanks,

Lowcountry

I dont have a list or anything, but that might not be such a bad idea. I lost over $200 total on 2 different items. So I know how you feel to a point, but a $650 loss is just crazy. Did you pay with credit card? If so - Just call them and cancle payment, and tell them the whole circumstances. I found this out to late to do it myself, but its something to thing about if it happend in the last couple months or so.

I wont buy my school books from half.com anymore either, got ripped off once or twice there as well, and half.com "customer protection plan" or whatever was worthless, they wouldnt do ANYTHING about it.

Matt
Old 03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
AZS2
Racer

I don't know if it would make sense to slander people here. If there was to be such a list, it should probably be sellers that have been positive. Did the ebay feedback give you any hint the seller was not so good?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Lowcountry944
Track Day

Default I tried to get my $ back, but Ebay only looks out for...

Originally Posted by Matthew951
I dont have a list or anything, but that might not be such a bad idea. I lost over $200 total on 2 different items. So I know how you feel to a point, but a $650 loss is just crazy. Did you pay with credit card? If so - Just call them and cancle payment, and tell them the whole circumstances. I found this out to late to do it myself, but its something to thing about if it happend in the last couple months or so.

I wont buy my school books from half.com anymore either, got ripped off once or twice there as well, and half.com "customer protection plan" or whatever was worthless, they wouldnt do ANYTHING about it.

Matt
I purchased a set of used wheels that were advertised as true and balanced. When I shipped them off to get refinished, Wheel Enhancement told me they were out of round. Between recieving the wheels from the seller and sending them off to Wheel Enhancement it took over 30 days. Ebay only protects you for 30 days, so the seller didn't have to refund me. I even offered to meet the seller half way, but they wouldn't even listen to me.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mikri184 (autobahn northwest) is on my list.

Most people here know why, so I won't let this fall into slander as previously mentioned.
I think if the list remains objective, that it would be a beneficial tool when looking to buy things on EBay.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

German Auto Dismantlers.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:19 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Karkannibal (sic?)

Let me add that I've got great stuff, more then once, from:
Tekamah
356outlaw
Old 03-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Zero10
Race Car

GlenL, That's the name I was trying to think of...
He's the new mikri184/Autobahn NorthWest.

Why avoid GAD? (Just curious)
Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

porsche o phile, thank goodness i didn't buy something from them just a little while ago.....
I haven't had a bad experience yet myself. We should make a list though, so we, as far as 944 parts go, know who is bogus...
I know this is slanderish, but really if people are getting screwed....
Old 03-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

yeah I was looking at the classifieds here and they have this.
This weeks Rennlist Classified Scam Artist: .....
Old 03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

I got a passenger rear bumper cap from GAD and it came pretty fast....dunno how they are scammers.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm unable to generate a solid opinion of them, however my present 951 has some parts on it that are in very questionable condition which came from them, so I'm very curious now. Please only post factual information in this thread, so it doesn't de-evolve into slander.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I contacted GAD about some seats for my 944 to replace the cracked / ripped ones that came with the car when I bought it. They offered "like new" seats, professionally recovered in German vinyl (with the little holes punched in it) on an ebay auction, which I won.

It ended up being a horror show with them - they wouldn't return my calls, wouldn't respond to my e-mails (keep in mind this is AFTER I paid them $600 for the seats, since they insisted on rapid payment at the close of auction) for well over a month. When I finally got a hold of them they told me "well, the guy that recovers our seats broke his arm and can't work", so it was another month or so. Needless to say, I was kind of P.O.-ed since their ebay auction implied that they already had the seats on-hand ready to send out. Not the case. I finally got them almost three full months after paying for them (and they charged me something like $150 additional for shipping, which I suspect they gouged me on, since they're not that heavy).

They DID look nice on the top, but when I flipped them over the seat frames and pads looked destroyed. The frames were pitted and rusty and the pads were dried out, yellowed and sort of crumbly. I think they'd been sitting out in the weather for God-knows-how-long and then they just slapped nice-looking new covers on them - which then tore after being in the car for less than a week. I was later told by an upholstery shop that this was due to the fact that the pads underneath the fabric were effectively missing. I guess during "professional recovery" the bozo had removed the pads or parts of them and not bothered to replace or build them up. As such, the vinyl covers ripped almost instantly. It's not like I jump into the seats (I just get in and out of them like any other normal person) or I'm that big of a guy or anything.

I was PISSED to say the least. I got NO sort of customer service from them and only got the courtesy of a resolution / response when I finally threatened them with a lawsuit (which I'd have actually followed through with, but I decided it wasn't worth the trouble).

Their "offer" to resolve it was to recover the seats but I'd have to pay shipping both ways and by that point I'd taken my old ones to an upholstery shop to be recovered the right way with new pads & skins, so I'd have had a car with no seats for Christ-knows-how-long and I'd have to pay probably $300 more in shipping. What a deal. I just said "screw it", which I'm sure is what they wanted me to do.

At least I only got ripped (like their "professionally recovered" seats) for 600 bucks; there are several others I've heard of that have been taken for well into the thousands of dollars due to misrepresentation, etc. It seems that a pattern of theirs is to hide behind high / prohibitive shipping costs for large / bulky / heavy items and non-response for customer-service related questions and complaints. They drag their asses on EVERYTHING except for processing payments - they sure as hell did THAT in a hurry I noticed. . .

In short, they exemplify the kind of unethical and unscrupulous business I'd just assume avoid. They're a self-glorified junkyard and command all the credibility of one - in my book. Others have had fine experiences, some have not. Maybe they're trying to clean up their act but I'd MUCH rather spend a little more to never have to deal with their crap again.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Lowcountry944
Track Day

Default RE:

Originally Posted by GlenL
Karkannibal (sic?)

Let me add that I've got great stuff, more then once, from:
Tekamah
356outlaw

Tekamah was the Ebay seller who shafted me.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lindsey has the right idea with thier 'Fecal Roster'.

Quick Reply: List of Ebay Sellers to avoid??