Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC tensioner please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC tensioner please help

My damn AC tensioner broke for the 3rd time again in 2 years, i dont know why. the first time it broke i replaced it then it broke again and the compresser mounting tabs broke so had my mechanic replace both then it broke both again and it was under warentee, and now it broke again, as far as i can tell the compressor mounts arent broken again.

does abone have any ideas on whats going on???

or where i can get one tommorow, im in west los angeles now. do you think the dealer would stock this part?

thanks i advance
Old 03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure all the bolts on the AC compressor are ok- I threw several belts till I installed all new compressor bolts.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:09 PM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they were new
Old 03-07-2005, 05:50 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A timely post, mine broke again on the way home from work today. I had previously had the eye ends welded while I waited for new ones from Porsche. When I went to replace them this evening I found that I have a later S2 tensioner strut with M10 eye bolts but the ones I had ordered were M8 which is what my 85 car should have according to PET.
The reason for the latest break was that the fwd comp mount bolt had come adrift. I had a similar problem to you previously in that my front mount had sheared. I had an aircraft welder weld a big chunk of aluminium & re-drilled it. Its holding up fine but I need to get some nyloc nuts to ensure the bolts don't fall out again.
Unfortunately the belt chewed through my lower toothed belt cover in a couple of spots & the belt is shot.
One tip I can offer is to loosen the mount bolts prior to adjusting the tensioner rod, if you don't this will put strain on the eye bolts which could cause them to break. Otherwise I would check the A/C comp mounts again.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:57 AM
PCMAX
Racer

Parogon have the strut, if you can wait a couple of days.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:32 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

i am having this problem. when i bought my 944 the a/c tensioner had snapped. leading the a/c breakits mounts and fall down. i replaced the a/c compressor and tensioner. the tensioner broke again in the same spot. so 3 times that bar has broken. WTF is up with that? i was told vibration could do it. motor mounts seem ok. but engine does vibrate when revved up past 3k. i think the coutnerweights on the engine were not calibrated correctly when the timing belt was last put on. anyone else agree?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I concour.. sounds like your balance shaft belt is out of alignment. Its not to difficult to check it yourself. put the engine at TDC and pull the top and bottom timing cover off. With the cam at TDC, the marks on the upper and lower balances shaft sprockets should be lined up with the rear timing cover.

Typically the car will shake like a washing machine with bad engine mounts.. you would defenetley know something is amiss. The vibration will smooth out as you raise RPM's. Increase vibration as you raise RPM's points towards the balance shafts.

This is a helpful picture..

Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My frequent AC tensioner problems/ breakage ceased when I replaced the motor mounts.. HTH.

3K rpm vibration, sounds like the balance shaft is 180 degrees out.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:08 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I concour.. sounds like your balance shaft belt is out of alignment. Its not to difficult to check it yourself. put the engine at TDC and pull the top and bottom timing cover off. With the cam at TDC, the marks on the upper and lower balances shaft sprockets should be lined up with the rear timing cover.

Typically the car will shake like a washing machine with bad engine mounts.. you would defenetley know something is amiss. The vibration will smooth out as you raise RPM's. Increase vibration as you raise RPM's points towards the balance shafts.

This is a helpful picture..

thanks TDuck. I'm going to get right on that. i checked to see if there was a difference in engine movement when revving/letting the clutch out a tad with the brake on and there is no variance between my two p-cars so i figured it'd have to be the dang balance shafts. the car needs a timing belts as well so i figure I'll kill two birds with one stone. also my trusty mechanic said that the water pump wouldn't need to be replaced. if/when a water pump goes, does it seize up? or potentially cause any problems to the timing belt leading to valves snapping?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Change the pump every other belt change, but check it every time you have the belt off for any excess play in the drive bearing. If the pump goes bad it can either start leaking or seize up completley destroying the timing belt in the process.

Quick Reply: AC tensioner please help