Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't Toe In - Rear Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:31 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't Toe In - Rear Suspension Problems

I'll explain this the best I can, as my knowledge is limited on the topic. I'm finally starting to button my car up and get down to the last few items on the list. So today I met up with John (Redline Man) down at his shop a few hours away to do the alignment on my car. My dad and I trailered my car down, got it unloaded etc without any problems and that's about where the easy stuff ended. We had a short wait to use the alignment rack (Not a problem gave us a good excuse to go over some of each other's projects and get lunch ) So we get back, I pull the car onto the lift and John get's started. Basically to the best of my knowledge the car will not toe in at all, the photo of the rear alignment is as far as John could get it, it stays at a negative toe, 100% of the time, it physically will not toe in. John suggested I check the torsion bar bearings, which I plan on doing but I figured it couldnt hurt to throw something up here. I cannot be the only one who has had this happen. The eccentrics seemed to be in fairly good condition still, they showed minimal wear. The car does show a light hit in the drivers rear that I didnt know about thankfully it doesnt seem to be effecting the suspension. Anyway, here are photos from today, any suggestions are welcome to fix my problem.

Our Tow Rig

John's and My cars

On the lift.

Rear suspension.

As far as the rear would go
Old 03-05-2005, 11:37 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

hm, weird. so does negative toe mean toe-in or toe-out? looks like it means toe in.

i've got 1/16" toe out and it sure made my car feel tailhappy on the track today.

sorry can't help with why it's doing that.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:08 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

It's toe out. So I guess I can go drifting but as of right now my florida trip and any hard driving are shot till I fix this up.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

I had a similar situtation. I will have to go and get my print out from the car. I'll post it later.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

How much neg camber are you running in the rear? And was the camber already set before trying to adjust the toe?

I have found problems getting good toe-in numbers when I have my rear camber set above -2.8 deg or so.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:34 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
How much neg camber are you running in the rear? And was the camber already set before trying to adjust the toe?

I have found problems getting good toe-in numbers when I have my rear camber set above -2.8 deg or so.
The camber was no where near -2.8 (you can see that in the photo I posted with the rear specs.) John tried every which way to set the rear of the car up, 4 hours of his time on a Saturday. I'm pretty damn sure this isnt some stupid jr. alignment mistake.

Gator if you can find your sheet and post if/how you fixed it, that would be AWESOME.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He probably knew how to do it without it, but did he ave the special tool?

THe alignment shop I took my 944 to the last time had the same problem. They chained it down and pulled it to spec. At that point it was at the limit of adjustment, which meant that something was going to have to be replaced to adjust it further.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Yes, John has the special tools, you can even see the one in the photo in the suspension.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Dropped the rear suspension since the last previous time it was aligned? Do you have the specs the last time it was aligned (what was the rear toe then)? Still have the stock rubber bushings on the spring plates?

For not getting enough toe adjustment, either the trailing arm is not sliding on the spring plates, or the spring plates have shifted to the rear.

If the rubber spring plate bushings are failing (Im assuming this is what he was referring to as a torsion bar bearing?) there could be some movement of the spring plates, but not much when it still has the torsion bars. And it would be unusual for both sides to have the same problem with the bushings at the same time and to a similar degree, but its possible.

Are the torsion bar end caps centered in the carrier flanges? If the bushings are shot and the spring plates have shifted to the rear, you should be able to see it.

Otherwise, the trailing arm is not moving/sliding forward enough on the spring plate. Because the two parts are dissimilar metals (alum and steel), they tend to corrode quite a bit at the interface over time and with moisture. I would pull the 2 bolts and the eccentric (camber adj) for the trailing arm/spring plates and make sure there isnt alum oxidation built up in the spring plate slots, this could limit the travel.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is anything bent?

Quick Reply: Can't Toe In - Rear Suspension Problems