Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Cayman S is coming...more than a boxster $

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 03:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How about "Cayenne"? Maybe you're onto something here. "Boxster"?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cayman is a good name for a Jeep. Jeep Grand Cayman!

Cayman, Cayenne...Carrera??
Old 02-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this the part where a whole list of people who arent going to buy something jump on the manufacturer for not making it what they really wanted?

FWIW, if it looks good I might be down for one. Who cares what it is called. Takes the badges off.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Differentiation - definition from wn
differentiation
n 1: a discrimination between things as different and distinct;
"it is necessary to make a distinction between love and
infatuation" [syn: distinction]
Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
Is this the part where a whole list of people who arent going to buy something jump on the manufacturer for not making it what they really wanted?
Your comment reminded me of the Scirocco board bitching about the new Lamborghini not being what they thought the new Lambo should be. I guess since Audi owns Lamborghini, and Audi and VW are cousins that justifies something.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Matt H
Race Director

It just always happens this way. Kind of funny really. Hell, I do it myself! Just funny to watch a group of people complain about something that most will not buy. I mean I think the Enzo is kind of ugly but since I havent the means to purchase one I dont bitch about it
Old 02-23-2005, 04:33 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe not right now, but a few years from now, I'd like a newer Porsche. If there are silly new cars NOW, that means the used car market will be silly down the road, when I'M ready to buy!

I can't see myself saying "someday, I want a Cayman"!
Old 02-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I understand your point but manufacturers dont build for the second owner, they build for the first. I think the name is dumb as they come but who cares, I dont fit their target audience.

It is in my price range but I would probably buy a used 993T or 996 variant if the pictures I have seen are right. They had the perfect target, the Boxster coupe that was built in Excellence (IIRC) in the Gulf colors. That was EXACTLY what it should have looked like.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, ide buy a Boxster coupe anyways though. I bet its gonna be awesome regardless. Porsche rarely disappoints when it comes to driving.

Audi and VW are not cousins, they are married. Piech family married into the Porsche family. Dr.Porsche's sister took over VW when he wanted to concetrate only on his own car and didnt have time to keep running VW. She then married into the Piech family which owned Audi.

Which is funny to think about. 2 familys are seeing the big profits from Porsche and VW/Audi. Is Audi/VW closely held? I think Porsche is. Most of their stock is in family hands im pretty sure.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:31 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been waiting for the Boxster coupe and I'm dissapointed at where it looks like it is heading. I'm looking at new car choices right now and I really like how the Boxster drives, but I don't want a convertible. I would have thought that a coupe would be cheaper than the drop top version. It seems like it is going the same way the new Porsches are heading--overstuffed luxury vehicles. If the car is gonig to be 60k, it'll make my choice easier. Why are all performance Porsches rediculously overpriced? Why can't they build an Elise?

I always liked how Porsche used their project #'s as the model designation. I thought it was a more traditional and classier way to do it. Now they have some "creative" people wasting good Porsche money sitting around thinking up these names. They should take money spent like that and do something useful--like race.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:33 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like it so far. Name is kinda odd, but its not like they called it the Porsche Crocodile.

In the end, if you want a light sports car and a newer Porsche, buy something like one of those and make your own Club Sport.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:41 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I didn't like the name at all at first, but I'm getting lukewarm towards it now... it's not THAT bad... (Definitely won't stop me from buying one).

I think this car will be great. As it is an "S", I would expect we'll see a lower priced model come out later.

A lot of people are questioning the marketing approach, but I expect Porsche is clear on their plan, although it may not make sense to us outsiders.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really funny how just a name a and a price segment has got soooo many people talking. No one has even seen the car! Porsche held the pictures back on purpose! They knew it was gonna cause a stir, so why not get everyone in on it first. They probably have something interesting planned with the car.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue S2 said: Something doesn't look right about those photos. Whats also strange is that both of those photos look like they have backseats. Which makes me wonder if its creative photoshopping of a 997 and a 987.
Is it so impossible that they'd bring out a four-seater? I think that'd be smart -- widen the market for people who'd like to own a boxster, but the two seats aren't enough.

One of the main reasons I bought a 944 coupe was the backseats -- seriously. I was looking at buying an S2 cab before I realised the damn things were two-seaters! D'oh!

If I could just get one of those saratoga roofs, or a satisfactory equivalent, my open top motoring ambitions would be satisfied, at least to some degree. In the meantime, when I look at all these modern sporty two seaters that I like, Boxsters, TTs, S2000, Z3's (getting very cheap, at least here in Oz!)... frustrating!

-Mark
Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I still can't believe how that name SUCKS! They came out with the Cayenne - an ugly SUV, breaking with racing tradition. Why invoke that name in the new sporty coupe?? Cayman has the same start, and if you look close, it's hard to tell the two appart!? Imagine the reaction if Ford came out with a car called "Mustene", or "Tauran". It's just silly.

I'm not saying the actual CAR is silly. It will probably kick ***. But what will the NEXT car be called - Caywan?

Quick Reply: The Cayman S is coming...more than a boxster $