Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Leak-86 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Gas Tank Leak-86 951

I've always had a problem with gas fumes on twisty roads with a full tank. I've checked and tightened all the hoses and checked the gasket at the sending unit. Yesterday I was jacking up the right side of the car to put it on rolling dollies, got the wheel off the ground about 6" and smelled gas. I looked around and found a puddle forming about 8" inboard of the left rear wheel. This is the first time I've ever seen a puddle, usually it has evaporated enough but I've always noticed the smell of raw gas near the LR wheel after a spirited run. I remember reading over a year ago that some of the saddle type tanks on the 85.5+ cars would crack someplace on top.

1. Is this a crack in the top of the tank? If so can this type of plastic be repaired with anything?

2. Are the later model year tanks all the same if I need to replace it? I know how much work is invoved to get the tank out and I am not looking forward to it at all.

Any insight is welcome.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by 2Tight; 02-12-2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It could very well be your fuel pump. The ends are crimped on and can leak over time. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, if you need a tank, well you know!!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:27 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

I looked under the car and can see where the gas dripped from under a plastic cover over the muffler heat shield. There aren't any fittings on the top left side are there? If not, it must be a crack or small hole.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:10 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

the only time i had a leak like you describe, i had filled up, drove 100 yds and parked the old car on a slight incline to the left.

10 min later i had quite a bit of gas on the ground around the left rear tire.
getting the car level stopped the leak.

other folks have mentioned the hatch seal leaking and with the windows down a venturi occurs, sucking it to the front.

good luck. post no smoking signs.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have seen 2 separate steel 924S gas tanks with cracks on the top right next to the main fuel input neck. I think they were stamped too thin from the factory and split after all these years. If it is a steel tank and it has this problem you should just replace it. The leaking you describe sounds exactly like what mine were doing before I changed the tanks out.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wild..... Jay- I'll have to look at mine, perhaps it was the Early 924S's- i smell no fuel at all- even when topping the tank with petrol. The only time I ever smelled fuel was when my rail was leaking.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

All good ideas. I think, but not sure though the 85.5+ 944/951 tanks are a saddle type plastic tank. I think the 924S continued on with the early fuel components from the early 944 which would make them steel. Can anyone confirm this, I've never dropped either tank yet so I'm clueless. Whatever is leaking on mine is from the drivers side close to the outer edge of the tank. I'm out of Porsche time for the moment, just replaced the OPRV and I am hoping my start-up 'no oil pressure issue' is solved(insert prayer here).
Old 02-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK, all the fuel tanks installed starting 85/2 were the plastic tanks. I have the same type of problem with the fuel tank in my '83 (steel). I've been running the car on about a half a tank or less for some time now, awaiting the ambition to get under there and remove it to find out why and exactly where its leaking. I have a spare tank for it if needed, just need to get it done. I've already done some preliminary checks like looking at the fuel sender, taking the inside cover off of filler neck area, and nothing is jumping out at me as the cause. It could be the plastic expansion tank on top cracked, or its hose is leaking, or possibly the PO put a hole in the very top when he mounted the CD changer in the drivers side rear well. If you do find out whats causing your leaky condition, be sure to let us all know. I'll do the same, when I ever get around to it. Hope the OPRV thing does the trick!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Granite 944
AFAIK, all the fuel tanks installed starting 85/2 were the plastic tanks. I have the same type of problem with the fuel tank in my '83 (steel). I've been running the car on about a half a tank or less for some time now, awaiting the ambition to get under there and remove it to find out why and exactly where its leaking. I have a spare tank for it if needed, just need to get it done. I've already done some preliminary checks like looking at the fuel sender, taking the inside cover off of filler neck area, and nothing is jumping out at me as the cause. It could be the plastic expansion tank on top cracked, or its hose is leaking, or possibly the PO put a hole in the very top when he mounted the CD changer in the drivers side rear well. If you do find out whats causing your leaky condition, be sure to let us all know. I'll do the same, when I ever get around to it. Hope the OPRV thing does the trick!
Ken,
Yes, the new 1-piece OPRV off my spare motor did the trick. The o-ring on the old one piece valve was gone, the piston was scored, and pieces of the o-ring were stuck at the end of the tube. Now the gas issue, the PO of my car mounted two amps, a sub, and 2-6x9's in the hatch area. They are screwed down to a spacer board under the carpet but I'm thinking the same thing you suspect; a nice clean hole in the tank (sounds great, smells bad). There are just so many freaking wires I've haven't tried to tackle that one yet to confirm it. I'm just happy to be back in Boost Land after 4 weeks of driving the N/A.

Steve

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Leak-86 951