Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 01:42 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear hatch mechanism

Yes i searched.....couldn't find what i am looking for

Motor works, switch works and i could 'see' the motor pulling the metal lines that connect to both release/locking pins........yet the hatch wouldn't open....

Thing is, the hatch is hard as hell to open (you turn the key, and literally lift weights to open the hatch) yet it closes smoothly without force.....

I have a full day off tomorrow, plan on tackling a few electrical things here and there and plan on tackling that hatch as well.....

TIA
Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple of things you can adjust on the rear hatch (except I don't know what does exactly what....). There's a nut on that motor cable to adjust how much the motor pulls, and then the hatch pins can also be extended or shortened. If you pull back the rubber seal where the hatch pin goes into, there are a couple of other nuts to adjust -- these ones seemed to work for me.

Other things I'd look into are just lubricating the mechanisms and making sure the struts are still strong.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Just replaced the struts, but even with the old ones, the hatch was hard to open..........

If i played around with the pins and or other nuts that hold the pins in place, the hatch wouldn't close properly.........(i got it perfectly closing).
Old 02-08-2005, 02:07 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

have you checked to see if the locking tabs pull out of the way both sides, electrically and with key?
Old 02-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Try removing the latches all together, using WD-40 to blast the dirt outa there, wipe em down, repeat, wipe em down again, and then lube it all up with white lithium grease spray. re-install, have someone help by closing the hatch while you're inside and aligning the mechanism. works great. I was suffering the same type of "bitch to turn the key in the hatch lock" syndrome. This made it like butter...
Old 02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My hatch unlocks with the switch but the hatch will jot "pop"....I guess if I had new hatch shocks it might.....the motor and latches work but I still have to get the key to open it from outside. Its like the hatch won't lift itself out of the latches when I use the hatch motor.....I am concerned though that if i put on new hatch shocks that it will open too quickly and then start to delaminate the glass from the frame....any suggestions????
Old 02-08-2005, 02:49 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

re-glue the hatch when you do that?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:24 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hatch has not seperated.....I am just worried that it might if I put on new shocks and let it fly open with the switch.........
Old 02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Will it open if you lift up on it as someone hits the switch ?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I'm assuming it will, but he can't get around back quick enough to grab it before it re-latches...

New hatch shocks make it a catapult...

Nineeagles, I dunno if it'll cause delamination, but I do know it has accelerated the delamination that was already occuring with my hatch...one thing it DID do, however is stop it from rattling as I'm going down the road...
Old 02-08-2005, 05:38 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've found that if your hatch wont open with the key, or the key is hard to turn, then your hatch pins are too short. Try increasing their length by turning them counter-clockwise half a turn. I bet that relieves the pressure on the latches, and lets you turn your key.

Lubing and cleaning also helps, of course. But give the hatch pins a turn. Also, try pressing down on your spoiler when you turn the key. If it makes it easier to open with the key, then I'm right.

Good luck. I have to remove my hatch cups and re-lube them. Gotta buy some spray white grease.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bearone
have you checked to see if the locking tabs pull out of the way both sides, electrically and with key?

Yes i have.

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Try removing the latches all together, using WD-40 to blast the dirt outa there, wipe em down, repeat, wipe em down again, and then lube it all up with white lithium grease spray. re-install, have someone help by closing the hatch while you're inside and aligning the mechanism. works great. I was suffering the same type of "bitch to turn the key in the hatch lock" syndrome. This made it like butter...
Did that to, no difference.

Originally Posted by mroberts
Will it open if you lift up on it as someone hits the switch ?
No

Originally Posted by AndyK
I've found that if your hatch wont open with the key, or the key is hard to turn, then your hatch pins are too short. Try increasing their length
Hmm......i shall give that a try today.........

TIA!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Not to hijack this.. but its not worth starting a new thread. My cable that connects the motor to the hatch realease snapped, is there a replacement for this? Where can i get it? Any other options?
Old 02-09-2005, 05:32 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Adjusted the driver's side pin, applied some grease to the pins and catches and now it works ike a charm thanks everyone!!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:40 AM
89AZ944
Racer

OK-

My hatch opens 98% of the time with the driver footwell switch. I hold it in until I hear 2 whirs from the back of the car and lift up on it with no problems. One whir and I usually have the drivers side stick.

With my key I have only opened it up 1 time out of every 10 tries. When it works I turn C-CW and hear the same whir whir sound as the driver foot well switch. When it does not work I hear the click of the switch in the lock mechanism, but no go.

Here's the weird part. The times that it has worked is when I first go out to the car. I can open it once. Thats it. I thought it was some weird safety/German feature (like leaving your turn signal on when you cut off your car to light the running lamps on that side of the car) where the hatch could not be reopened until the car was started and shut off (????). But I have tried that. It just seems to work when it wants to.

I have sprayed the mechanism with contact cleaner but that did not seem to help.

Does the key activate the same mechanism as the driver footwell switch? Or is it a different mechanism altogether, seeing as you guys are suggesting adjusting the hatch posts?

Quick Reply: Rear hatch mechanism