Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OIL PAN SEAL

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005 | 02:54 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Default OIL PAN SEAL

How long does it take? You basically just have to drop the subframe piece correct? -chris
Old 02-01-2005 | 02:57 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

oh boy, here we go.....

if you've never done it, take it to a dealer. i did this twice with the engine OUT of the car and i still have a small leak.

to answer your question - yes you must drop the crossmember (or subframe), remove the front suspension, and angle your way around to all the oilpan bolts. check on posts from porschephile who recently attempted this on his 924S
Old 02-01-2005 | 03:17 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I think the shop manual says it takes around 1-14 hours for a turbo and somewhat less for an NA. Expect to double this if you've never done it before. I spent a month working on mine after work and some of the weekends when fixing my leak.

Clarks garage has a good write up here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/lube-06.htm

Paragon products also has a good one here: http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index...x_v2&id=70&c=4

Danno also did a pretty good writeup which is on the board somewhere. There are a number of threads on this that you can find if you search for them.
Old 02-01-2005 | 03:46 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Mines leaking like a civ, Ill be ok witha small one but its getting bad, some one tried to put gasket seal around on some parts of it. Would gasket seal work if applied on the top and bottom of the gasket itself or what? Im ok with dropping the stuff out I had to do it before to replace it with the turbo parts. I just am sick of it leaking this BAD. Its so bad its hitting the exhaust and whenever I get on it hard it pours smoke into the cabin. If its a small leak I dont car but this is nonsense. I aalready have a new seal I got at paragon. -THX-Chris
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:12 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

This is one of the three worst possible jobs on a 944. The other two are clutch and turbocharger. It will take a LONG time and it will suck - every minute of it. I feel your pain, I have two of them coming up this spring - one on the 944 and one on the n/a.

It is strongly recommended that you change the rod bearings if you're bothering to drop the oil pan.

It has been said that the OE Porsche gasket is VASTLY superior to the aftermarket ones, even though they may look the same on the outside. Apparently aftermarket ones are prone to leakage in short-order, while the OE ones are not. I'll be spending the few extra bucks and going OE.

Silastic (sp) sealant is listed as a required part of the repair in the factory manual. This stuff is ungodly expensive (I was quoted $110 for a tube of it at the dealership). Apparently Yamabond (Yamaha) is just as good if not better and can be had for about $15 a tube at any motorcycle shop.

Danno has done an EXCELLENT write-up on this job and tested his method by running his car UNDER BOOST with no bolts on the oil pan - it held. Good enough proof for me - I'll be doing it the "Danno way".
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:17 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

i used the Danno "bombproof" method as well. problem is, mine had already been torqued down once. i used the 3M adhesive.

good luck, FTY
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:30 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I screwed this up twice on my own before taking it to a dealer...

the dealer so far has screwed it up twice, and it's going in for the third tomorrow.

It's a pain in the ***....

Second time I did it myself (within a week) I used Danno's Method and Yamabond. Well, after following Danno's method to the letter, (I may have screwed up, or the gasket was defective) the gasket bulged and it was leaking a quart a day.

I do beleive the Dealership has been using aftermarket gaskets in order to save money. I told them to order me a Porsche gasket because I want this leak fixed and I don't mind paying the difference.
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:31 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Pull the motor. It takes no more time to do it this way, you can reseal everything else, access is much better.

If you havent done it before on a Turbo it takes about 25 hrs. If you have it is probably a 10+ hour job depending on your tool set.
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:32 PM
Matt H
Race Director

On the NA it is significantly less time, maybe 12+ for a first timer and 6-8 for a decent weekend warrior.
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:35 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

One last note, I don't know who it was, but somebody invented little rails that bolt on with the oil pan that prevent bulging in the gasket. I beleive it's in the turbo forum. seems like a good investment.
Old 02-01-2005 | 04:37 PM
Matt H
Race Director

My Swiss, Steven Wistuba, is who you are looking for with those parts. He doesnt come around much anymore however.
Old 02-01-2005 | 05:03 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
My Swiss, Steven Wistuba, is who you are looking for with those parts. He doesnt come around much anymore however.
That is correct.

One of the biggest PITA jobs on the car. Especially on a 951.
Old 02-01-2005 | 05:28 PM
Chase72
Racer

FTY: I just had mine done on the S2--it took the local P-tech 14 - 16 hours to do it... The price tag nearly scared me out of P-car ownership, but here is what I rationalized:

1. The oil pan gasket seal was the original Factory one... so after 173,000 miles and 16 years, it was time to go. Hopefully, I won't have to do this until the odometer hits 346,000 miles or in another 16 years...
2. I am no wrench-tech, and own few tools (heck, I don't even have a garage), so an engine hoist was out of the question for me. Plus, I'd have no idea what I was doing...
3. I'd rather have the garage take liability for the labor & parts, because this is major surgery and requires removal of the engine, the belts, etc. If anyting is to go wrong a year from the work, I'd take it right back to the garage and get them to do it free of charge.

It wasn't cheap, but I sleep better at night, and the car doesn't leak! Sometimes, you can't beat peace of mind. Hope this helps.
Old 02-01-2005 | 06:32 PM
aribop
Race Car

Check this thread out....these things are great!!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/114722-new-product-for-the-dreaded-oil-pan-gasket.html
Old 02-01-2005 | 06:51 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I'll be ordering a couple of those - thanks!

And how the heck does he have the engine upside-down in that pic?

Quick Reply: OIL PAN SEAL