Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted... Rock Guards

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 01:57 PM
my87944s
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions wanted... Rock Guards

Hello, as Ive posted (with pics) I have my car back from paint. I am curious what the concensus is about replacing the rock guards. Have many/any of you replaced them after a complete repaint? Or after all the trouble of getting it off, do you say "Never again" and leave it off?
ALSO, I have access to a 12 mil BLACK rubberized vinyl that could be cut using the factory templates. My paint color is Almond Beige Metalic, how do you think the black accents would look? I imagine something along the lines of the older 911's that had the black rock guards.
I dont know how to start a poll, or thats what this would be...
Thanks for your opinions.
Terry
Old 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock guards? Like something to keep Rock from screwing up a Porsche?

I doubt it exists.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:04 PM
my87944s
Racer

OK, I mean the clear 3M stuff that is on the cars from the factory around the wheel wells and behind the drivers door... Sorry if thats not what its called. I guess it could be better described as the discolored, cracked, clear stuff that takes 100 hours to get off without scratching your paint.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:05 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i like the factory style clear ones, the newer ones are better than original. Ive seen the black ones and i dont like em...
Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

I was joking, that's what it's called. Yes you should replace them, Paragon sells them.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:35 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are tough to get off, but 3m makes a rubber eraser wheel that fits on a drill that makes pretty quick work out of it. i have both of the big ones off right now - they were cracked and looked pretty bad. i have new ones waiting to go on....but i'm thinking about it. i'm going to zip off the small ones in the next couple of days, too. i'll put those back on for sure, but i'm debating the big ones...........
Old 01-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Smile Rock Guards, Stone Guards, or whatever

I would not use these things whatever, for all the obvious flaws in the OEM application: yellowing with age, cracking, PIA to remove, incomplete and poor protection in the first place. etc..

Instead, for a fraction of the cost, go to a good auto parts and paint supply outlet and buy a can of SEM "Chip Guard." This spray-on urethane is like the stuff the factory sprayed on your 944 rocker panels. If you study your rocker panels, you'll see that there are few if any chips or discoloration.

Anyhow, SEM Chip Guard costs ~$15/can, and a can will cover all the areas of the much more expensive Rock Guard stuff, plus around the front end and all the areas around the wheel well that Rock Guard misses.

Further, SEM Chip Guard can be removed with solvent, unlike the Rock/Stone Guard applique stuff, which we all know is a major pain in the ***.

SEM Chip Guard comes in clear and black. I've sprayed it on over cleaned and Zymol-waxed painted surfaces, and it works very well. Much better product than Rock/Stone guard appliques, at a fraction of the price.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:46 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

I took mine off and have no intention of replacing them. The car looks much better without them.
I would rather have a few nicks than a big , yellow and cracked decal
Old 01-29-2005, 03:46 PM
SkippyCrunchySmooth
Advanced

I'd use some kind of rock/chip guard, as my car's PO had it repainted and didn't reapply the rock guards. Let's just say that I now understand why Porsche put them there in the first place.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peckster
Rock guards? Like something to keep Rock from screwing up a Porsche?

I doubt it exists.

OMG! That's the funniest thing I've read in a while. . . Thanks for the laugh. I can't wait until he sees this thread. . .
Old 01-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Back on topic, I'll be replacing the ones on the white car soon (they're yellowed and cracking a bit, one is missing - don't ask me how). I'd LOVE to find black ones; I think that'd look bitchin' with the black fuchs and other black trim pieces and I've asked this before, but does anyone know how to get colored ones?
Old 01-29-2005, 05:33 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My observation in removing my originals was that the front ones looked fine, but the rear ones (particularly the ones in front of the rear wheels) had clearly taken some hits for the team. I replaced them all, but you might consider just replacing the rears.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some clear vinyl that I can throw in the machine and zip out whatever size/shape you want. Just make an image to the correct proportions and give me a size diminution to size it by. Should take about 5 min. on my end. Let me know if you want to give it a shot.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Back on topic, I'll be replacing the ones on the white car soon (they're yellowed and cracking a bit, one is missing - don't ask me how). I'd LOVE to find black ones; I think that'd look bitchin' with the black fuchs and other black trim pieces and I've asked this before, but does anyone know how to get colored ones?
Jeff,
Black stone guards with the black centered Fuchs would look KILLER!!!! Sorta' like the early 930 look. If my 951 had those wheels, I would do that in a heartbeat.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

bwahahaha i saw this thread and i knew there was trouble lol... that was a good one

Quick Reply: Opinions wanted... Rock Guards